Best Batman portrayal

I think Batman focusing on the actual problem that creates street crime makes more sense than to waste time prowling the streets for it while leaving the actual problem untouched. Bruce also didn't become a recluse for 8 years, He was only one for three.

For Batman it makes no sense to me.

That's not true. In Batman Year One for example his primary focus is taking down Falcone and the mob. I don't see what the issue is anyway. Crime is crime. The end result is the same. He's trying to eradicate Gotham of it, and he's doing it in a more direct approach here by going straight to the source of it.

That he focused more on the source of the corruption rather than waste time tackling the symptoms?

Mostly that he would give up his life to train for so many years to become Batman and after that quit after one year.

But even within the first film, that he thought that through being Batman (striking fear into criminals) he would also or more so be a symbol for the system to work properly, he was motivated by trying to be inspirational to the public (to push for, demand non-corrupt law enforcement) and/or law enforcement (to be non-corrupt as they want to be but currently can't be (?)), rather than being motivated to protect innocent individuals from any crimes happening to them, felt very awkward.

If Bruce would be looking at really big picture source of crime, to reduce financial desperation he wouldn't have had to become Batman at all, he would become and remain Batman if he thinks the symptoms need to be dealt with regardless of the state of the big picture.

Crime is crime. The end result is the same. He's trying to eradicate Gotham of it

But organized crime isn't the only kind and yet the films do seem to think that dismantling the mobs means mission accomplished peace time.

Last edited:
But organized crime isn't the only kind and yet the films do seem to think that dismantling the mobs means mission accomplished peace time.

No they don't. For example at the end of Begins, Gordon gives Batman a Joker card relating to a theatrical criminal who at the time is small time with just armed robbery and a couple of homicides under his belt. Hardly big time, but Batman tells Gordon he'll investigate it. Then at the beginning of TDK Batman intends to deal with the Joker, whom at that time he sees as a simple bank robber, but prioritizes on dealing with him after the mob's been crippled - "One man or the entire mob......he can wait".

They never pretend organized crime is the only crime. They just have Batman prioritize it because its the root of the rot that's corrupted Gotham.

Last edited:
I mean it makes sense as the mob had corrupt police officers and politicians in their payroll so naturally Bruce would would be determined to take them down as they practically ran Gotham, I don't think Bruce thought it would eliminate crime but it would make it a whole lot easier to prosecute criminals.

But there was consequences to this as the mob became so desperate to take down Batman that they decided to work with The Joker who's a complete psychopath and a terrorist which they wouldn't have done pre Batman. Even Falcone regretted hiring the Joker and felt Joker went too far. So Batman's presence in Gotham and him taking down organised crime meant that a freak like the Joker would become a more prominent figure in the criminal world.

Last edited:
For me Ben Affleck is the best Batman. He just felt the most complex and had the most potential. It sucks that WB didn't make a solo Batman movie sooner. I'm still holding hope that the HBO Batfleck series turns out to be true

That's not true. In Batman Year One for example his primary focus is taking down Falcone and the mob. I don't see what the issue is anyway. Crime is crime. The end result is the same. He's trying to eradicate Gotham of it, and he's doing it in a more direct approach here by going straight to the source of it.

This.

This is possibly tangential to the point, but it's worth noting the format issue-- They're not going to have Batman constantly making actual headway in Gotham when they need to publish X amount of issues per month... forever. So they have him spin his wheels and create the illusion of change, with an occasional big change (death of a Robin or something) every so often... even then they're always reversible.

As opposed to Nolan Batman (who is by far the best portrayal, if I haven't said that in this thread already) had a set end point to actually head towards.

This.

This is possibly tangential to the point, but it's worth noting the format issue-- They're not going to have Batman constantly making actual headway in Gotham when they need to publish X amount of issues per month... forever. So they have him spin his wheels and create the illusion of change, with an occasional big change (death of a Robin or something) every so often... even then they're always reversible.

As opposed to Nolan Batman (who is by far the best portrayal, if I haven't said that in this thread already) had a set end point to actually head towards.

:applaud:applaud:applaud

Sometimes the obvious escapes most of us. Well said Sir !

1. Bale
2. Michael Keaton
3. Ben Affleck

Bale, Affleck, Keaton.
Although I’m still waiting on a live action portrayal that I can say is THE Batman. I like all three I listed in the order I listed but all of them lack something that prevents them from really being Batman.

West, Keaton, Bale and Affleck are all solid and Kilmer is underrated. Clooney is the only incarnation I honestly don't have any time for.

Keaton is still #1 for me. I guess you can say it’s nostalgia, butt I still like his version best. his voice is perfect without feeling like an act.

West is classic. He’s in another league because his version is just so different from the rest.
Affleck is a great Batman in some not so great films. He deserved better.

Bale was also great, but his voice got old fast. Begins is still my favourite portrayal of his.

I’ve grown to like Kilmer quite a bit. I truly think had he played the character a couple more times, he would have been one of the best.

Clooney is definitely the “worst” of the bunch, but tbh I thought he was fine for the film he was in. I love that silly movie, but Clooney is one of the things I’m very “meh” on. Would have preferred it to be Kilmer.

I don’t really have a definitive ranking besides Keaton being my top favourite. I’d probably say Kilmer, Affleck, and Bale are all on the same level, depending on the day

Michael Keaton's Batman/Bruce Wayne in Batman Returns (1992) is still the best theatrical live-action portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne we've ever had, IMO.

Michael Keaton's Batman/Bruce Wayne in Batman Returns (1992) is still the best theatrical live-action portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne we've ever had, IMO.

You mean the one where he blows a criminal up while smiling and then randomly tells Selina Kyle she doesn't have to kill someone at the end? I have to disagree.

In a lot of ways, Batman 1966 is the best Batman. In terms of faithfulness, it’s almost impossible to beat. It’s a nearly 1:1 adaptation of the comics of the time.

My girlfriend is a non comic book fan and it’s fun to gauge her unbiased opinion on superhero movies and shows. She enjoys the 66 series the most.

It’s kind of the best Batman ever. The iconography, the costumes, the casting, the sets, the camp, it all works so magnificently. It was the first time Batman entered the zeitgeist, and because of this, it remains cemented as one of the best iterations of the character.

West, Keaton, Bale, and Affleck are at the top, everyone else is meh

Out of all the Batmans there have ever been, who in your opinion is the best portrayal of the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman in terms of comic accuracy?
Bale in Batman Begins, but not Bale in the other two Nolan films. The costume and the voice in begins was spot on... and although dk's costume is cool, I feel as though it moves away from the comics, not towards it. That's just my take though.

Kilmer was definitely an underrated Batman

I totally agree, it felt like he was the only person in the film taking the role seriously. I would have liked to have seen him play the role in a Batman film that took itself more seriously, but hey... I still like forever for it's different tone, it's quiet well balanced, unlike Batman and Robin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"