Best Superhero Movie of Summer 2012 (Avengers, ASM, TDKR)

yeah the misc. comic film thread is generally the thread for movies nobody cares about lol, with the exception of MAYBE Judge Dredd imo.

The Avengers.

TDKR had aspects that were superior but The Avengers was more consistent throughout.

While I'll agree Avengers is better paced than TDKR, it is not flawless in that department or on par with TDK. It's first act plods very slowly IMO and other than Tony Stark's scenes and the scene between BW and Banner, it doesn't find its footing until the beginning of the second act when Loki is on the helicarrier...nearly an hour into the movie.

Again, just my opinion.

An hour? Not quite. Once Fury is addressing the World Council and you get Steve Roger's introduction, it was just fine.

Prior to that was what was rocky .... it actually had me worried when I originally saw the movie, but like a fine wine it really opened up. I've actually grown to like the Loki intro a little more, particularly his "You will know peace" line. I just like how he delivers it.

The Avengers.

Then TDKR.

Then Spidey.

TDKR

Avengers

ASM

Dark knight rises had my attention the entire time and engaged where the avengers bickering between them all got alittle tedious at the point where banner grabbed lokis staff and was alittle hoky in comparison. ASM just wasnt my cup of tea and even though I saw it for free I still felt cheated. In some sense Avengers represents the lighthearted fun and generic villian plot where as the dark knight rises is the serious need a phd to understand this type of hero movie. Just my 2 cents. TDKR also had great acting and I kept yelling at whoever was cutting up oinions when alfred was delivering heartfelt dialogue. I think my whole section was cutting up oinions during the
funeral scene and alfred looked at bruce's parents grave and said he was sorry he failed them

Last edited:
The Avengers - most fun I've had in a theatre in years.

TDKR - mostly for the effort by Nolan, I have no intention of seeing it (just not my thing) but there is little doubt about the quality he creates.

TASM - Let me be clear, I'd rather run naked into a cactus than see this film again. Unbelievably bad. Much worse than anything I had imagined.

As some of you know, I'm a HUGE Spider-Man fan, and a Marvel fan in general, so that may bias my vote.

After seeing all three, it was really close between two of them, but I would have to give the edge to The Avengers. I loved the hell out of that movie! The most fun I've had at a movie in years! It was all kinds of fun! I loved the witty banter and all the different characterizations continuing from their solo movies and the way they play off each other! They were all balanced nicely as well (though Hawkeye may have gotten short changed). This is how I prefer my superhero movies.

The other movie I loved was The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it was a great cap of the trilogy. Loved Bane! Loved Hathaway as Selina (needed more of her!)! They were all great! The film even had me cry a couple of times! Very intense and emotional! And it ties in nicely with the previous two movies.

The Amazing Spider-Man? A very very distant 3rd. Yeah, I liked Emma better than Kirsten and Sheen made a good Uncle Ben, but the rest? I see a lot of people on these boards saying how much better Garfield as Pete/Spidey. I don't see it. Garfield's Pete was a bit of a d*ck. And yeah, the Raimi Spidey was missing in the quips department, but Garfield's "quips" were hit or miss. The ones when he fought the Lizard at the school were pretty good, but the stuff with the car thief sounded very immature and cringeworthy. I initially liked what Raimi did in the Spider-man movies, but it hadn't aged well, and my problems with them became more than what I had liked, so I was looking for a reboot. But after TAS, it has given me new appreciation for the Raimi Spider-man movies. Not to be a broken record, but The Spectacular Spider-Man is how you do Spider-Man.

So, to recap, I loved both Avengers & TDKR, with Avengers getting a slight edge. The Amazing Spider-Man, not so much.

just seen TDKR and i am sorry avengers fans but it is not even close

TDKR was just on a different level

from a character,emotional drama,plot,and even the villain were just on a different level

THE AVENGERS 9.5/10
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 9/10
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 7/10

AVENGERS 9.5/10
Pros: Super fun interaction, memorable 3d characters, great momentum and pacing, best action in a superhero movie ever, one of the most replayable movies ever
Cons: Iron Man was the leading character

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 9/10
Pros: Garfield, Romance, quirky, very character driven, a movie with a BIG heart
Cons: poor villain, poor pacing in some parts, bad subplot with Peter's parents

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 7/10
Pros: the action is epic, the fight scenes improved, great Batman costume, great visuals (cinematography), ambitious, Solid performances from actors
Cons: clunky, messy, rushed in some parts, poor editing, poor supporting characters, poor subplots, ambition and story not executed well, not focused enough, poor villain

TDKR has a more complex story, deeper themes, and more socially relevant. Avengers has a simpler story and message. But it's not the story that makes a good movie, it's always how the story is told, no matter how complex or simple the story is. And for that, Avengers and TASM beat TDKR for me.

avengers had a weak villain compared to bane(loki while cool was used already in thor and was nothing special)who was just awesome to watch and the acting was not even close to TDKR

felt

acting
story
character development
villain
drama

were just on a different level compared to avengers

you've essentially just about repeated the same post about three times now.

just seen TDKR and i am sorry avengers fans but it is not even close

TDKR was just on a different level

from a character,emotional drama,plot,and even the villain were just on a different level

Agreed.

Some things were rushed and needed to be fleshed out more, but the movie was over 2:30 hours and it can't be a 6 hour mini series. Thought it was a perfect ending to the trilogy with some minor nitpicks. Just more young Ras Al Ghul and a more fleshed out Miranda Tate would have made the movie my absolute favorite (if it isn't already).

I will say I don't know why anyone would call Bane and Catwoman weak characters while praising TASM or TA. They're not Joker level, but they were great (especially CW) and both are better than Loki or the Lizard. And I love Lizard from the comics. Oh well.

you've essentially just about repeated the same post about three times now.

He likes reading his own posts probably.
I don't understand why anyone would try to start a debate when this thread is about what each person felt was best. Opinions will very

Anyway, for me: Avengers> Batman> Spiderman

An hour? Not quite. Once Fury is addressing the World Council and you get Steve Roger's introduction, it was just fine.

Prior to that was what was rocky .... it actually had me worried when I originally saw the movie, but like a fine wine it really opened up. I've actually grown to like the Loki intro a little more, particularly his "You will know peace" line. I just like how he delivers it.

It's all opinion. But I didn't get into the movie until all the characters were aboard the Hellicarrier and bickering like only Joss Whedon characters could. But I thought the transition from the SHIELD "prologue" to Cap was awkward, I thought the transition from the Hellicarrier to Germany was REALLY awkward and I thought the way they reintroduced Thor to our world felt random and very awkward. So much so that while I enjoyed his scene with Loki because it was a carry-over of their relationship from Thor, soon as it turned into a pissing contest between Thor, Iron Man and Cap I was more disengaged than thrilled.

But yes, the last 1.5 hours of the movie are great. All of the characters arguing, depicting SHIELD as actually shady and untrustworthy, Loki's attack and especially the third act flowed very well.

It's all opinion. But I didn't get into the movie until all the characters were aboard the Hellicarrier and bickering like only Joss Whedon characters could. But I thought the transition from the SHIELD "prologue" to Cap was awkward, I thought the transition from the Hellicarrier to Germany was REALLY awkward and I thought the way they reintroduced Thor to our world felt random and very awkward. So much so that while I enjoyed his scene with Loki because it was a carry-over of their relationship from Thor, soon as it turned into a pissing contest between Thor, Iron Man and Cap I was more disengaged than thrilled.

But yes, the last 1.5 hours of the movie are great. All of the characters arguing, depicting SHIELD as actually shady and untrustworthy, Loki's attack and especially the third act flowed very well.

You became disengaged by the Thor, IM, Cap match?

OK this conversations seriously need not go any further.

You became disengaged by the Thor, IM, Cap match?

OK this conversations seriously need not go any further.

Sure, it can. He's as entitled to his opinion as you are to yours.

I don't want to get hung up on the wording too much, but if we're talking about best "superhero" movie, it's just not even close. Avengers just blows away the others, and I really like both TDKR and ASM.

My initial reaction to TDKR was lukewarm at best. But then I saw it again and began to look past its script issues and pacing. On my third viewing I think I fell in love...

What I love most about what Nolan did is the complete focus on Bruce Wayne. Most films have their heroes fearless, courageous in the face of death, not afraid to die, etc.

The fear is what makes Bruce Batman, and in this film he finally learned to accept that. Use it in order to live - the desire to live. "Jump as the child did... without the rope." :hrt:

I can look past weak exposition (Alfred's info on Bane) and pacing. TDKR is gold for my money.

I personally couldn't get behind the last hour of ASM. It's full of convenient plot devices (curing gas? all the crane operators are at work at the same time?), plot-holes, and clumsy writing overall. Especially the poorly-done mid-credits scene, which Sony wanted to model after Marvel Studios' traditional post-credits hook. The actors really deserved better, and the script really let the whole film down.

I really wanted to get behind ASM, but for me, it was just a blatant, lazy money grab. The origin story may be more faithful to the comics than Raimi's films were, but Raimi's were consistently more polished and entertaining. It's frustrating to put down ASM, because it has its positive attributes but doesn't approach the origin story in a new way. Had Avi Arad been booted from the franchise, we might've had something.

I can understand some of the problems people had with The Avengers, but I thought the pacing was taut throughout even when the plot itself wasn't perfect. And unlike ASM, there was a sense of fun, camaraderie, and just the right approach that made it work. It's the kind of film I would watch from beginning to end without skipping much in between.

TDKR suffered from the pacing issues DA Crowe saw with The Avengers, but when it hits its stride, it really grabs you. But it could've been a bit more shorter.

The Avengers; I didn't pick TDKR only because I don't consider it a superhero movie in the traditional sense. It's much more than that.

I'm going with The Avengers, then The Dark Knight Rises, then Amazing Spider-man.

I think The Avengers had great action, excellent dialoge and characterization, and it knew what was, a fun, popcorn action movie. I feel like people use that as an excuse to attack fun popcorn movies, but in all honesty, I think entertaining movies can better than deep ones.

The Avengers I felt had better action, writing, dialogue, and more entertaining characters but The Dark Knight Rises I felt had better characterization, a better villain, and more human characters.

The Amazing Spider-man had the best love interest though, but Amazing Spider-man, while a good movie is not a game changer or a groundbreaking movie like the other two movies. It doesn't affect my opinion of the movie itself, but it affects how I compare it to the other Superhero movies this year.

They're all better than Ghost Rider, though. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"