2013: The Re-Up (box office predictions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll go with Iron Man as well. Not because I like Iron Man, but based off the trailer it looks like Iron Man 3 will be a real step up in the franchise. Along with the success of the The Avengers it's got a really, really good chance of being #1.

The only movie I see passing a billion in 2013 is Hobbit 2. There really isn't any huge blockbusters this year like Avengers and Batman.

As far as domestic winners go...probably Iron Man.

Iron Man 3 and The Hobbit 2 are both good guesses. I can see MoS doing really well but not enough to be #1.

I see next year going:

1.) The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

2.) Iron Man 3

3.) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

4.) Star Trek into Darkness

5.) Man of Steel

An animated movie is somewhere in the top 5 WW usually. Despicable Me 2 probably has the best shot at that.

I kind of think the potential of an Oz movie is being underestimated. Seriously, everyone over 4 will have some familiarity with the material. It probably won't be the next Alice in Wonderland, but it certainly has the possibility of being very, very big.

Nowhere to go but down for Marvel box office wise. Will there be more hits, genuine blockbusters? Sure. But this is the peak.

Not so sure Iron Man 3 gets any The Avengers bump. Wondering if the ill-reception to Iron Man 2 comes back to haunt em. Even if that isn't the case, can't see $400M for Shellhead.

Iron man 2 ill reception the GA seemed to like it just fine.

I think Irom man will definitely gets a bump from the Avengers....and i don't think that IM2 was that ill received that it'll effect IM3 negatively. It wasn't as well loved as the first movie, but it wasn't universally reviled either.

The top 3 will be The hobbbit, iron man 3 and the Hunger games IMO

You need at least one R-rated comedy that is a surprise sleeper hit.

It'll probably be either We're the Millers (August 9) or The Heat (April 5). Those are guaranteed to be R-rated comedies... whether they'll break out a la Hangover or Bridesmaids is another.

An animated movie is somewhere in the top 5 WW usually. Despicable Me 2 probably has the best shot at that.

I think Monsters University could be huge (unless the movie turns out to be really bad) Probably the biggest Pixar-movie since Toy Story 3. Monsters, Inc. made around $540 million worldwide way back in 2001-2002.

Ehhhhhh... I don't know about that.

No Zombie movie has grossed even close to any Iron Man movie. :huh:

Unless you count I am Legend as a Zombie movie, which grossed as much, but Iron Man is a much bigger character now than he was in 08.

Iron Man 3 will gross way more than World War Z.

Nowhere to go but down for Marvel box office wise. Will there be more hits, genuine blockbusters? Sure. But this is the peak.

Not so sure Iron Man 3 gets any The Avengers bump. Wondering if the ill-reception to Iron Man 2 comes back to haunt em. Even if that isn't the case, can't see $400M for Shellhead.

Not in terms of GA. The GA liked it just fine.

I was going to say I think it will make at least $350 million, but it will definitely make over $400 million since it's going to be in 3D.

He's the most popular character of the Marvel movie characters, but will it gross more than The Avengers? Nope.

1. Iron Man 3

2. The Hobbit

3. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

4. Man of Steel

5. Thor: The Dark World

6. Monsters University

7. Star Trek Into Darkness

8. The Wolverine

January
1. Gangster Squad
2. Zero Dark Thirty
3. The Last Stand

February
1. A Good Day To Die Hard
2. Identity Thief
3. Safe Haven

March
1. Oz the Great and Powerful
2. GI Joe Retaliation
3. The Host

April
1. Oblivion
2. Pain and Gain
3. The Heat

May
1. Star Trek Into Darkness
2. Iron Man 3
3. The Hangover Part III

June
1. Man of Steel
2. Monsters University
3. After Earth

July
1. Despicable Me 2
2. Pacific Rim
3. R.I.P.D.

August
1. 300: Rise of an Empire
2. Elysium
3. Smurfs 2

September
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
2. Rush
3. The Tomb

October
1. Captain Phillips
2. Paranoia
3. The Delivery Man

November
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
2. Thor: The Dark World
3. Frozen

December
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
2. Jack Ryan
3. Anchorman: The Legend Continues

January - June

1. Star Trek Into Darkness
2. Iron Man 3
3. Man of Steel
4. Monsters University
5. The Hangover Part III
6. Oblivion

July - December

2. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
3. Despicable Me 2
4. Thor: The Dark World
5. Jack Ryan
6. 300: Rise of an Empire

January - December

$400 m +

$300 m +
2. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
3. Star Trek Into Darkness
4. Iron Man 3
$250 m +
5. Man of Steel
6. Despicable Me 2
7. Monsters University

$200 m +
8. The Hangover Part III
9. Thor: The Dark World

$190 +
10. Jack Ryan

Ehhhhhh... I don't know about that.

No Zombie movie has grossed even close to any Iron Man movie. :huh:

Unless you count I am Legend as a Zombie movie, which grossed as much, but Iron Man is a much bigger character now than he was in 08.

Iron Man 3 will gross way more than World War Z.

What Parker said. Name one zombie movie that's come close to either Iron Man or its sequel (not counting The Avengers). And it can be argued that I Am Legend grossed that much because of Will Smith.

hunger games:catching fire will surpass iron man 3 imo

HG grossed more than im and im2 it made nearly 700 million WW i am sure the sequel will make even more

I believe Catching Fire will drop domestically but improve overseas. The question is by how much. Twilight doubled its take.

Not in terms of GA. The GA liked it just fine.

It made less than Iron Man in this day and age where sequels make more simply by the predecessor being well-liked and had no direct competition for weeks. Doesn't seem like general public liked it fine. More like it got to $300M+ by sheer goodwill and hype. Not by its own merits.

I agree though. Can't see $400M happening. At all.

I never said it was better than the first, and the B.O. reflected that.

It was good, though not as good as the first. That was the general audience reception to that. It still got an A Cinemascore from audiences and user scores from various film websites have all been favorable. You make it sound like it's am X3 or Spider-Man 3 or Daredevil. If anything, the only people that really disappointed were fanboys who felt this was an Avengers commercial.

If Iron Man 3 can go back to achieving the quality of the first movie, it can achieve $400 million.

I never said it was better than the first, and the B.O. reflected that.

It was good, though not as good as the first. That was the general audience reception to that. It still got an A Cinemascore from audiences and user scores from various film websites have all been favorable. You make it sound like it's am X3 or Spider-Man 3 or Daredevil. If anything, the only people that really disappointed were fanboys who felt this was an Avengers commercial.

If Iron Man 3 can go back to achieving the quality of the first movie, it can achieve $400 million.

Spider-Man 3 got an A CinemaScore too. And yet do you know anyone who likes it? That is an odd practice. The Harry Potters and Twilights got A ratings too but they're front-loaded as Hell.

CinemaScores are very deceptive in regards to movies with fanbases or is already part of franchise/sequel.

IM2 was just a big "its okay" to the general audience, its OW multiplier isn't terrible. Better than SM3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"