World Best Superman voice over actor?

foxwolf2099

Civilian
Reaction score
Best Superman voice over actor?
Hey guys, so lets ring up another compare of who you think is the best Superman voice from the 7 different Supes sound clips to listen to below

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...pare/Superman/

unlike the Batman and Joker voice compares, theres no real standout favorite I can put my finger on, so I'll go with ....... George Newbern

Out of all of those, I'd pick Adam Baldwin or Tim Daly.

But it left out two important Superman voice actors, Bud Collyer and Patrick Warburton.

For pure entertainment value Warburton is my favorite. There's just something hilarious about Puddy being Superman and those Seinfeld American Express commercials are priceless!

Collyer is probably my other favorite. He set the bar IMO for the Superman voice and he got the subtle changes in the Clark and Superman tones

Out of all of those, I'd pick Adam Baldwin or Tim Daly.

But it left out two important Superman voice actors, Bud Collyer and Patrick Warburton.

For pure entertainment value Warburton is my favorite. There's just something hilarious about Puddy being Superman and those Seinfeld American Express commercials are priceless!

Collyer is probably my other favorite. He set the bar IMO for the Superman voice and he got the subtle changes in the Clark and Superman tones

Don't forget Danny Dark (Super Friends) and Beau Weaver (the Ruby-Spears produced Superman series from 1988).

Yeah, they left off a buttload of Supes voice actors...

Anyway, I've always been partial to Tim Daly, although I love that speech Newbern gives and I think McLachlan as Supes in New Frontier is just fantastic casting. Balwin, while my favorite actor on the list, left me cold with his performance. I think it was just the movie itself. Not a great start to DC's DTVs.

I'm partial to Tim Daly myself, but Bud Collyer was also great, and he did set the trend for how to voice Clark Kent v. Superman.

If I had to pick just one, I'd have to say Tim Daly as well.

Clayton "Bud" Collyer is the first and in my opinion, the best Superman voice actor ever.

Tim Daly he is Superman

Okay so I would have to say IMO Danny Dark because thats what I grew up with or Routh because Ive seen him as SM

Clayton "Bud" Collyer is the first and in my opinion, the best Superman voice actor ever.

Yes, Bud Collyer was the first voice of Superman ever, he voiced Superman the longest and is the best Superman voice-actor ever in my opinion as well. His Clark Kent voice conveyed a mild-mannered everyman, while his Superman voice conveyed enduring strength, toughness, along with compassion, maturity and class. Bud Collyer voiced Superman on The Adventures of Superman radio show from 1940 to 1950.
supermanad1tb.png

rssupermanupupandaway50.jpg

That series moved to television starring athletic and square-jawed George Reeves. Bud Collyer had also moved to television and hosted the game shows Winner Take All (1948-1950), Break the Bank (1948-1953), Beat the Clock (1950-1958), On Your Way (1953–1954), Feather Your Nest (1954-1955), To Tell the Truth (1956-1968) and Number Please (1961). Bud Collyer had also voiced Superman on the Fleischer Studios and Famous Studios theatrical Superman cartoons released by Paramount from 1941 to 1943.
fleischersuperman.jpg

famoussuperman.jpg

superman07a.jpg

a17dvdsuperman.jpg

That series ended because those big budgeted theatrical cartoons were very expensive for Paramount. Bud Collyer also voiced Superman on The New Adventures of Superman by Filmation from 1966 to 1969, which was the first television show featuring new Superman cartoons.
supnewadventuresofsuper.jpg

supkalelnaos.jpg

newadventuresofsuperman.jpg

That series ended because Bud Collyer died from a circulatory system ailment on September 8th, 1969.
There's a great detailed Superman book about Bud Collyer and George Reeves titled Flights of Fantasy: The Unauthorized but True Story of Radio & TV's Adventures of Superman, by Michael J. Hayde.
flighthayde2.jpg

[YT]bHKYy1vlEzE[/YT]

Last edited:
Okay so I would have to say IMO Danny Dark because thats what I grew up with or Routh because Ive seen him as SM

Some people just prefer the first Superman voice-actor they heard as a child and were most familiar with. If I was to go with the first Superman voice-actor I'd heard then that would be Danny Dark from Super Friends. I didn't hear Bud Collyer as Superman until I was 24 and first saw a Fleischer Superman cartoon on the TV show Night Flight, and even though I didn't even hear Collyer speak as Superman very much on that cartoon, I preferred Bud Collyer's dynamic, strong, lively Superman voice over Danny Dark's bland, dull and goofy Superman voice that I'd heard on Saturday mornings on the timid, ridiculously non-violent Super Friends cartoons in childhood. I don't view Superman or Batman as simply childhood nostalgia items. I also prefer Kevin Conroy's Batman voice over Olan Soule or Adam West's Batman voice I'd heard in my childhood. Tim Daly's Superman voice sounds too much like an ordinary and rather bland guy to me, lacking the sound of someone incredible that had just walked into the room when Superman appeared that Bud Collyer's Superman voice conveyed so well. Neither Dark or Daly were as versatile in range as Collyer, but it's more about childhood nostalgia for some people.

Last edited:
Bud Collyer.

Love how his voice would change and drop a full octave when he changed into Superman (i.e. "This is a job... for Superman!")

George Newbern and Tim Daly are tied. Collyer is a very close second.

Last edited:
Bud Collyer.

Love how his voice would change and drop a full octave when he changed into Superman (i.e. "This is a job... for Superman!")

Just what I was going to say. Nobody can top Collyer. I could listen to him do that voice-change from Clark to Superman all day. His transition from a tenor voice as Clark to a heroic baritone as Superman set the standard for every other actor who played the part, on-screen and off.

Tim Daly is the best.

1. Tim Daly.
2. George Newburn
3. Bud Collyer
4. Brandon Routh.

Bud Collyer set a standard that I don't think has been matched. PERFECT

Tim Daly and George Newburn were very similar in their delivery. Both were great.

Beau Weaver was memorable at best and Wharburton sounded comedic (but not like Superman)

nobody else is worth mentioning

Bud Collyer and Tim Daly are my favorite Superman voice over actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"