• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Biggest Mid-Franchise Casting Replacements in a Comic Book Movie Franchise

SpandexFan

Civilian
Reaction score
NOTE: THIS LIST ONLY INCLUDES ACTORS AND ACTRESSES WHO CONTINUED THE SAME STORYLINE. COMPLETE REBOOTS NOT INCLUDED!

#7 Brian Cox to Danny Huston as William Stryker

VERDICT: PHAIL

3754-26018.gif

Stryker.jpg

This one is probably a toss-up. X-Men Origins needed a younger William Stryker so it made sense to replace him in the same superhero franchise, and both did great jobs in their roles. Huston had more of the crazy off-the-wall Stryker to him in X-Men Origins, but Cox's Stryker had depth that Huston lacked. You could genuinely see the pain that drove Stryker crazy in Cox's X2 version, but some of that was lacking in Huston's version in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

#6 Tyler Mane to Liev Schrieber as Sabretooth

VERDICT: SUCCESS

sabretooth-photo.jpg

sabretooth_xmen1.jpg

A disappointment to comic book fans that the Origins version of Sabretooth didn't look much like the comic book version, but let's face it... Liev Schrieber is 10x the actor Tyler Mane will ever hope to be. The storyline was all screwed up compared to the comics, but if there was to be any drama between Logan and Sabretooth, there had to be not only a good actor, but an actor who made a great bad guy, and Schrieber was that man, not Mane. It wasn't as much of an impact as other superhero franchises either since we last saw Sabretooth in a small part in only one of the previous X-Men movies.

#5 Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle as Rhodey

VERDICT: UNKNOWN BUT PROBABLY A SUCCESS

cheadleironman2.jpg

Cheadle is a fine performer, but Howard isn't a bad actor himself. Howard definitely has more of the superhero commanding officer physique to him, and it remains to be seen if skinny Cheadle can pull off the role of War Machine, but chances are he will since the Iron Man CGI and metal costumes are far less dependent on the actor's physicality compared to other superhero installments. There are few roles that Cheadle has not prospered in during his acting career.

#4 Katie Holmes to Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel

alg_jumpsuit.jpg

Losing the same cast never helps, and the death of Rachel might have been just a little bit more meaningful if we saw the same actress from the Nolan Batman franchise bite the dust. Gyllenhaal was also not as cute as Holmes, and lacked a little bit of that innocent-looking spunk that made Katie Holmes a good fit for the part. But in the end, Gyllenhaal was a far better actress, and that was what made it work.

#3 Val Kilmer to George Clooney as Batman

batman-george-clooney.jpg

Clooney actually made a half-decent Bruce Wayne, unfortunately he wasn't trying to purposefully pass off Wayne as a cocky playboy -- that was just the natural Clooney acting style! And while Bruce Wayne sometimes worked, he didn't do much to change his persona as Batman and the result was one of the worst big budget superhero movies ever made.

#2 Michael Keaton to Val Kilmer as Batman

quiz1053outcome3.jpg

Michael Keaton was a better Bruce Wayne and Batman, but the underrated Kilmer did make us forget Keaton as the Dark Knight and managed to pull off a skillful portrayal of Batman, right before Joel Schumacher destroyed the franchise. The third Batman movie had box office success and good reviews, although some of that was because of Jim Carrey as the Riddler who was just becoming one of the biggest stars in the world. Maybe Kilmer's biggest phail was his small chin didn't seem to mold to the costume as well as other actors?

#1 Christopher Reeve to Brandon Routh as Superman

e-gall-superman-movies-superheroes.jpg

Yes, Superman Returns was its own reboot just like Batman Begins, which is why you won't see Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney to Bale on this list, because Nolan chose to completely ignore previous movie history. But when Singer chose to continue after the events of Superman II, model Routh's Clark Kent after Reeve's version, insert many famous lines from the Donner Superman versions and such... well, you basically have a movie that is still part of the original Superman franchise, and that's probably where it all went wrong. What sounded like a great idea ended up in complete phail because audiences were forever reminded that Routh (who did pull off an admirable job) was trying to imitate Christopher Reeve, who may go down as the most typecast and memorable superhero portrayal in film history.

Last edited:

#4 Katie Holmes to Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel

alg_jumpsuit.jpg

Losing the same cast never helps, and the death of Rachel might have been just a little bit more meaningful if we saw the same actress from the Nolan Batman franchise bite the dust. Gyllenhaal was also not as cute as Holmes, and lacked a little bit of that innocent-looking spunk that made Katie Holmes a good fit for the part. But in the end, Gyllenhaal was a far better actress, and that was what made it work.

exactly (even if I still felt something when she died).......good work on finding pics where they wear the same dress btw:hehe::hehe:

how can you mention superman since the last movie was 20 years ago and he is not alive anymore? how is that the same?

all those actors could come back for the movie but they were replaced. how could reeve come back?

Don Cheadle replacing Howard in IM 2 stings a little bit for me... Not because i don't think he'll do a good job but because that great "Next time, baby" scene with Howard has been kind of retroactively tainted.
No next time for you, Terry.. No next time for you.

how can you mention superman since the last movie was 20 years ago and he is not alive anymore? how is that the same?

all those actors could come back for the movie but they were replaced. how could reeve come back?

I suppose if I want to be technically fair, I need to include the new Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Jimmy Olson and Perry White, but except for the land grab plot of Lex Luthor, I didn't really see any of the other new actors or actresses try to imitate the previous versions. Routh's portrayal was a downright copycat of the Reeve version, and that was done on purpose.

For me Liev Schrieber replacing Tyler Mane as Sabretooth was the best replacement.

I thought Maggie and Katie both tanked, so i guess for me Rachel didnt work at all :oldrazz:

I think the best recast was Maggie Gyllenhaal replacing Katie Holmes, at least in regards to acting talent.

Second place would go to Liev Schrieber replacing Tyler Mane.

i dont think the biggest is katie holmes... nobody really remembered that character after so many years..

Ironman on the other hand everyone remembers..

Maggie Gyllenhaal was probably the best (though I'm a fan of Routh's job in SR). While some of the others sucked more, I was most upset by Kilmer being brought in to replace Keaton.

Maggie is a far better actress than Holmes but IMHO she wasn't great either. I don't like the character and don't think that any actress could have gotten me interested, so at the end of the day the character was more of a FAIL then any of the actresses...although Holmes really was quite awful in BB...I hate thinking about it actually.

is it true that WB forced the Rachel character to Nolan and Goyer in BB?

I think the best casting change is not on here.

Micheal Gambon as Dumbledore.

dumbledore.jpg

Richard Harris as Dumbledore.

dumbledor.jpg

Which Was The Better Dumbledore.

Maggie Gyllenhaal replacing Katie Holmes was one of the best things about TDK

Gambon was a much better Dumbledore. Harris was a sweet, kind Dumbledore, but he just wouldn't be able to pull off the DD in books 4,5,6, and 7. Gambon proved himself to be a great DD in Half-Blood Prince.

Liev sticks out as the only insance in which I forgot completely about the previous incarnation as he brought the character to life perfectly.

And Harris>Gambon

You're all forgetting Harris was one of the original badasses of cinema. I have no doubt he would've brought it if he'd lived that long...

You're all forgetting Harris was one of the original badasses of cinema. I have no doubt he would've brought it if he'd lived that long...

Harris would have been a great Dumbledore had the films been made even 10 years earlier, but he just couldn't do it anymore at the end. He wasn't too bad in Philosopher's Stone, but he was clearly not well when doing Chamber of Secrets. His Dumbledore looked like someone dying of cancer, not the playful, eccentric Dumbledore of the books that Gambon portrays.

As for the topic question, does Ed Norton as Bruce Banner count? I thought he was much more effective than Eric Bana.

Val Kilmer totally rocked the Batman role... he has the best Batman costume too...

Liev brought chills to the Sabretooth role, in which Mane failed to do, for me anyway... I think he did the best, just wished he'd a been blonde

Maggie Gyllenhaal was probably the best (though I'm a fan of Routh's job in SR). While some of the others sucked more, I was most upset by Kilmer being brought in to replace Keaton.

I was actually more upset over George Clooney replacing Val Kilmer than Val Kilmer replacing Michael Keaton (although I wish that Keaton had done Batman Forever) in the sense that Joel Schumacher's Batman films feel a lot different than Tim Burton's.

Harris was a better Dumbledore. Gambon seemed like a *******. Harris was warm. Gambob was a cold prick to me. Also when I stopped watching the movies.

As for the poll...none. Maggie was alright...but since I couldnt care less about the character...I couldnt care less. :funny:

Hated Wolverine...so neither of the Wolvie actors did anything for me. Liev could've been great, but he had so little to work with.

**** the Shoemaker movies.

And the other two are pointless.

If you mixed Harris and Gambon, it would equal the perfect Dumbledore. Harris has the kind, loving side and Gambon has the quirky, crazy side. However, it was a stupid idea to cast Harris when the poor man was old and dying of Hodgkin's. Harris is a great actor and I have nothing but respect for the man but there was no way he would be able to portray Dumbledore correctly or even have the chance over the 10+ years time frame. I cannot fathom the state of health poor Harris would have been in for movie 6 and 7 had he lived. It just wasn't a good casting idea to begin with.

Gambon does good but I wish the man had read the books. But, the perfect casting choice for Dumbledore goes to sir Ian but I do like what Gambon has done. Most fans hate him in GoF but that was the director's and writer's faults.

Ian would've been great. I dont really get what Gambon was going for....If I was Harry, i'd stay the **** outta his way.

I was actually more upset over George Clooney replacing Val Kilmer than Val Kilmer replacing Michael Keaton (although I wish that Keaton had done Batman Forever) in the sense that Joel Schumacher's Batman films feel a lot different than Tim Burton's.

By that point, what was there to be upset over? Kilmer was a complete stiff and his film was awful. I had zero expectations for the next one. Good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"