Comics birthright or secret origin?

Xak-Ell

Civilian
Reaction score
which do you prefer? i just picked up both a few days ago.

Birthright, but only narrowly.

There's more about Birthright narratively that I like than in SO, but outside of Yu's rendering of Krypton and its populace, technology, etc. I don't much care for the art. SO's version of Krypton is a little TOO much Donner homaging for my liking on that front, but I tend to like Frank's art better, Zombie Christopher Reeve and all (I even like the idea of a fat Parasite, in spite of that absurd Simpsons Treehouse of Horror origin Johns gave him). But in the end Birthright still edges out SO for me.

Neither. My preference is MOS the movie.

It borrows from several sources and creates a few of it's own. The world exploring clark is from Birthright. The Birthing Matrices are from Byrne's own Man of Steel. Krypton itself is probably kind of Secret Origins .. but more Avatar/Star Wars.

Secret origins, by far. Birthright had a good beginning and end, but the bulk of everything in between sucked. Secret origins took all the best aspects of the various origins and put them together into a cohesive story. It may have seemed redundant at times because of that, but it was done rather well.

Secret Origin as various characters like Lex Luthor are portrayed well.

Secret origins, by far. Birthright had a good beginning and end, but the bulk of everything in between sucked. Secret origins took all the best aspects of the various origins and put them together into a cohesive story. It may have seemed redundant at times because of that, but it was done rather well.

Finally! The first member to agree with me. I loved Secret Origins. The only thing I'd complain about is the length in comparison to Birthright. I wasn't SUPER wowed by Birthright. But didn't hate it.

My rankings -

Secret Origins

Man of Steel

Birthright

Earth One.

John Byrne's Man of Steel!

That and Birthright, for me. The Reeve homaging in Gary Frank's art alone convinced me that SO was too drench in aping Donner rather than do something brand new which put me off ever getting it.

Birthright

New 52/Grant Morrison Action Comics(honestly Birthright and New 52 origin are tied in my eyes)

JMS Superman Earth One

Superman for all seasons

Secret Origins

John Byrne Man of Steel

If it's just between these two it's going to be BR.

Same with me, but again, only narrowly.

In all blunt honesty, I've never been thoroughly satisfied with ANY of the Post-Crisis print versions of Superman's origin - It's a bits-and-pieces deal with me; I like chunks of BR, but also portions of Byrne's MOS, bits of SO, etc. BR happens to have more parts that I like than some of the others.

Outside of the comics, though, my favorite Post-Crisis version overall remains STAS' pilot, "Last Son Of Krypton".

Same with me, but again, only narrowly.

In all blunt honesty, I've never been thoroughly satisfied with ANY of the Post-Crisis print versions of Superman's origin - It's a bits-and-pieces deal with me; I like chunks of BR, but also portions of Byrne's MOS, bits of SO, etc. BR happens to have more parts that I like than some of the others.

Outside of the comics, though, my favorite Post-Crisis version overall remains STAS' pilot, "Last Son Of Krypton".

One of my favorites as well. :yay:

I think I'm like you though. In my mind I've pieced together the best origins from all the all stories. BR though stands out on the art work and it flows more naturally as a story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"