Black. White.

user123456789

Avenger
Reaction score
It premieres March 8 on FX. Looks to me like another great show FX has got on its schedule.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Am I the only one who thinks this concept is ignorant and racist?

SuperFerret said:
Am I the only one who thinks this concept is ignorant and racist?

Please elaborate..

I think its exactly the opposite of ignorant and racist... they are literally switching lives.

boyscouT said:
Please elaborate..

I think its exactly the opposite of ignorant and racist... they are literally switching lives.

It's ignorant, because it's implying that life all of a sudden gets different depending on the color of your skin. Disregarding all predjudices each skin tone attracts, life for a white family isn't any different than that of a black family of equal income, education, culture, etc. Skin color doesn't carry that much weight in reality.

It's also racist due to the use of make-up to "transform" the people into the other race, which is reminiscent of "black face" make-up used by white actors in the past to ridicule blacks.

uh, doesn't seem racist to me at all

SuperFerret said:
It's ignorant, because it's implying that life all of a sudden gets different depending on the color of your skin. Disregarding all predjudices each skin tone attracts, life for a white family isn't any different than that of a black family of equal income, education, culture, etc. Skin color doesn't carry that much weight in reality.

It's also racist due to the use of make-up to "transform" the people into the other race, which is reminiscent of "black face" make-up used by white actors in the past to ridicule blacks.

I've never heard of it for myself but if that's the premise; I don't like it either. :down:

If it was on a channel other than F/X I might feel the way SuperFerret does, but after watching 30 Days last summer on F/X I feel this will be done tastefully and not for "laughs".

SuperFerret said:

what race are you? where do you live? where have you lived for most of your life? how old are you?

Colossal Spoons said:
I've never heard of it for myself but if that's the premise; I don't like it either. :down:

No one really knows the premise as of yet, except what the commercials show us. Basically its a white family being transformed into a black family, and vice versa.

boyscouT said:
what race are you? where do you live? where have you lived for most of your life? how old are you?

I'm "white" and I'm a New Yorker born and raised, but that's besides the point. If you read carefully, I specifically mentioned that I'm "Disregarding all predjudices each skin tone attracts", because that's stupidity in it's most earnest form, and I don't want to get into that.

Of course, race (unfortunately) is an ever present social factor, but the point I'm making is this: Life is not/should not be different just based on one's skin color (assuming all other factors are equal).

But judging by the inherent stupidity of most reality shows, this one seems racist to me. And it will 'til I see otherwise.

dont you feel ignoring all the predjudices each skin tone attracts is ignorance in itself?

take a look at our history for the past 300 years.

boyscouT said:
dont you feel ignoring all the predjudices each skin tone attracts is ignorance in itself?

take a look at our history for the past 300 years.

I know that, and history proves that there are no differences between individuals of different skin tones except for the skin pigmentation itself and the differences humanity imposes on them.

SuperFerret said:
I know that, and history proves that there are no differences between individuals of different skin tones except for the skin pigmentation itself and the differences humanity imposes on them.

i can't wait for our discussions to come when this show premieres :up:

SuperFerret said:
Of course, race (unfortunately) is an ever present social factor, but the point I'm making is this: Life is not/should not be different just based on one's skin color (assuming all other factors are equal).

Of course it shouldnt. The point of the show is to find out wether or not its true. Hopefully it will open peoples eyes about a thing or two.

SuperFerret said:

What?? Really? In an ideal world that may be true. But "in reality" this is not how things are everywhere. There is still alot of prejudice out there and, believe it or not, some people still DO react differently depending on skin color. It's sad, but it's true.

SuperFerret said:

:rolleyes: It's a tool in a social experiment....not some guy acting like a slave or doing a clumsy dance. As long as it's done tastefully this could be a big eye opener to alot of people. So I assume that the movies: White Chicks, Soul Man, Big Mommas House, etc. are all racist/ignorant in some way?

"Life is not/should not be different just based on one's skin color (assuming all other factors are equal)."

You're right and wrong. Life SHOULD not be different based on one's skin color, but life IS different based on one's skin color.

that stupid show on fx. just get over the whole race thing. the whites spray painted black don't look right and the black painted white look wierd. It doesn't work. they just have to make it an issue. like that hasn't been done before. we're all different we know get over it.

it reminds me of that old skit Eddie Murphy did in the 80's on SNL, it was funny and he didn't look white either. all reality shows are phony anyway so it doesn't matter what they say.

Considering FX's track record with their shows, im gonna give Black.White. a try.

^Agreed. It has a lot of potential to either open eyes or piss people off.

Pretty good first episode. I thought the fact that the two men were bumping heads was interesting. It was Ignorance vs Paranoia.

I enjoyed it. It's an interesting show. Althought not exactly a new new concept, it's still a very intriguing social experiment.

I thought it was pretty good. Interesting to see the different motivations. The fathers were really interesting in their motivations. The daughter is really embracing the experiment, trying to get the most out of it. The son doesn't really seem to want to be there and is just trying to "pass". It's what I expected in a good way, fairly honest and somewhat eyeopening for the partcipants, I was really surprised that they didn't censor $#!t.

I hope that at the end of the show, everybody realizes how full of crap racial stereotypes are. All this "acting black" and "acting white" stuff is impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"