Books Into Movie: What would You like to Direct?

The Death Dealer
Angels and Demons
The Vampire Lestat(Done the right way and not crammed into one movie like Queen of the Damned)
Masque of the Red Death(Not really a book, but the story is awesome and given todays standards, I'd really love to make it into a darker more grittier and sadistic tone that culminates during the climax)
Spawn(Done the right way as well)

The Death Dealer will always be my dream project though. They're excellent books, the characters are complex and interesting, the atmosphere is wonderful, and it's an entirely original story that can be both scary and downright graphic.

I know this is kind of an odd choice (seeing as how it's such an obscure story) but I would love to do a film based on Norton Juster's "The Phantom Tollbooth". Chuck Jones tried to do a PT movie, but it only kept about a third of the book's story and made the rest up and the result was a movie so terrible I wouldn't make my worst enemy sit through it. So of course I would try to be as faithful as possible to the source material. I would pitch it to Hallmark Entertainment (the current masters of the fantasy film, what with Merlin, Gulliver's Travels and The Tenth Kingdom) and it would be a combo of live action (Milo, Short Shrift, Mathamagician) and CG characters (Tock, Humbug, Dodecahedron).

I would also love to do a series of animated films based on Lloyd Alexander's "Chronicles Of Prydain" series. Disney tried with "The Black Cauldron" and while it is a decent, enjoyable movie in and of itself, it's not a very good adaptation of the book. I'd have to fiddle with it a bit (I reread the first book recently and it would take some tinkering to make it feature-worthy) but I would try to be as close to the book as possible. And I would want to do one film for each of the five books in the series. My ideal cast is thus:

Taran: Elijah Wood
Eilonwy: Emma Watson
Dallben: Ian Mckellen
Fflewder Flam: John Cleese
Doli: Warwick Davis
Horned King: Keith David
Achren: Bernadette Peters
Gwydion: Patrick Stewart

I would want to get James Horner to do the music (because of his fantastic score for Willow, if for no other reason).

Where the Wild Things Are(though I think thats in the works).

oh yeah, I'd also love to see a movie based on one of RA Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden books...

thealiasman2000 said:
what about Stephen King's "Dark Tower" books?

The DT books are perfect: epic, exciting, with a seamless blend of humor, action and horror...

I think DT movies would do well in the box office...

DT is very long. Look how long it took to make LOTR and it was onyl 3 books. DT is 7 books. That is a big commitment to ask any actor, actress, director, or crew to do.

captainmarvel said:
I would also love to do a series of animated films based on Lloyd Alexander's "Chronicles Of Prydain" series. Disney tried with "The Black Cauldron" and while it is a decent, enjoyable movie in and of itself, it's not a very good adaptation of the book. I'd have to fiddle with it a bit (I reread the first book recently and it would take some tinkering to make it feature-worthy) but I would try to be as close to the book as possible. And I would want to do one film for each of the five books in the series. My ideal cast is thus:

Taran: Elijah Wood
Eilonwy: Emma Watson
Dallben: Ian Mckellen
Fflewder Flam: John Cleese
Doli: Warwick Davis
Horned King: Keith David
Achren: Bernadette Peters
Gwydion: Patrick Stewart

I would want to get James Horner to do the music (because of his fantastic score for Willow, if for no other reason).

Great idea. I loved the Prydain Chronicles. That is a series begging to get the LOTR treatment.

Harry Turtledove's World War series. Lizard like aliens attacking earth during WW2.

George RR Martins Song of Fire and Ice

Robertson Davies the Deptford Trilogy

Hellblazer/John Constantine

Heath Ledger - John Constantine
John Glover - Lucifer

Focus more on the magick/occult instead of just being portrayed as an exorcist (like Keanu) as well as having Constantine show vulnerability and more human emotions (like in the "Dangerous Habits" novel)

Well, we all know what I want to direct.....

Space Ghost (Jesus, I have even wrote a script for it!)

I'd like to see a 13-part HBO miniseries based on Batman: The Long Halloween. It would be as accurate as possible, with a few dialogue changes where neccessary (some of the dialogue is a bit corny, especially Catwoman's).

My cast would include most of the cast of Batman Begins, since I thought they all did such an awesome job:

Batman: Christian Bale
Alfred: Michael Caine
James Gordon: Gary Oldman
Harvey Dent: Liev Schreiber
Carmine Falcone: James Woods
The Joker: Paul Bettany
Sal Maroni: Ray Liotta
Alberto Falcone: Adrian Brody

That's the main cast, the rest could be lesser known actors or whatever.

Then I could always follow it up with a Dark Victory miniseries.

Well i don't have my (complete) cast yet for alot of my book project :p , but here are some books/graphic novels which i think are ripe for filming

AKIRA TRILOGY ( or QUADROLOGY)
Í'mcurrently trying to combine the books into a trilogy. 'The tricky part is the first big awakening of akira , cause after that the whole metaphysical stuff happens. 4 movies would work better , cause at the end of the 2nd movie , you could have akira awakening.
VISUAL EFFECTS (Tippet Studios , Sony ImageWorks and/or ILM).
Possible way of shooting this flick : Either the sky captain way , or partially the sky captain way.
Music : Don Davis , Dario Marianelli , Howard Shore

100 years of solitude:
Novel by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This is possibly the most beautiful novel i've ever read. It tells the 100 year story of the family Buendia.
Cast :
Ursula - Salma Hayek
Aureliano Buendia - Benicio Del Toro
This could either be a series or be made as one movie. The series is better cause you don't have the time constraint , whereas the movie forms the problem that you need to compress the book into the movie timeframe.

Mike Mignola's "Ironwolf: Fires of the Revolution" as far as Comics/one shots go.

proper books, well, a good and proper version of Day of The Triffids would be rather groovy

Eddie Dean said:
Dracula

Cast:
Ralph Fiennes as Count Dracula
Bryce Dallas Howard as Mina Murray-Harker
Hugh Dancy as Johnathan Harker
Brian Cox as Abraham Van Helsing
Paul Bettany as Dr. Jack Seward
Keira Knightley as Lucy Westenra
Brad Dourif as Renfield
Jude Law as Arthur Holmwood
Eric Bana as Quincey Morris

Music:
James Newton Howard

:up: :up: :up:

Although Ralph Fiennes would look too familiar to Voldemort now...

Replace Keira with the fit blonde out of Die Another Day, and I'd fund it...

The Bible with me as GOD.

No, seriously Namor = EPIC, EPIC, EPIC

Don't know who I'd cast though...

A.J.Rimmer(BSC) said:
The Bible with me as GOD.

No, seriously Namor = EPIC, EPIC, EPIC

Don't know who I'd cast though...
A Vulcan in a speedo, EPIC!

They are in the middle of writing the script for the Sub-Mariner movie.

Chris Columbus will direct.

I've always wanted to do my own take on Lord of the Flies.

The Once Future King

The Odyssey

The Last Temptation of Christ

The Illiad

Paradise Lost

Treasure Island

Angels & Demons

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

Robert Howard's Solomon Kane

John Wyndham's The Chrysalids

Good Omens

Director: Terry Gilliam

Cast:
Aziraphale- Paul Bettany
Crowley- Simon Pegg
Newton Pulsifer- Elijah Wood
Anathema Device- Kelly MacDonald
Shadwell- Bill Nighy
Death- Vin Diesel
War- Isla Fisher