Bought/Thought November 25th, 2009

Personal attacks definitely are not limited to just physical appearance and personal life. If someone goes up to a writer and flatout says, 'Your work is **** and you couldn't write yourself out of a paper bag if God Almighty himself possessed your hand', that's a personal attack.

Not to say I think you're saying that at all, just using that as an example. I mostly disagree with the context you're using hack, since I think it's entirely possible for a person to be a complete hack and still produce decent-good work. But I know the meaning of the word has shifted for internet and 'urban' slang, so whatever

Heh, my favorite King books came out well after those.:p

Way I figure comic book writers and such are in the entertainment industry. That makes them fair game the same way you curse some athlete at a basketball or baseball game, or boo a bad comedian etc. And before you say that's harsh you do have to realize these people are celebrities. And before you laugh at this consider these are people that will have strangers walk up to them on the street and ask for an autograph or say how much they loved what they did with whatever the same way people will approach actors, musicians or sports figures. While people might be nasty to them there are plenty of those to defend them. Think about that, total strangers damn near ready to hit some other total stranger over a remark said about some both have probably never even met. We're called fans for a reason and personal praise as well as personal attacks are fair game for any fan.

God I used to love Stephen King but the man cannot write a freaking ending. Remember the Stand? WTF?!? I had to give up after that cop out.

I haven't heard of The Shack. I might have to look that one up. What kind of book is it? Is it a creepy one??

It's not Stephen King, if that's what you thought. No, it's a kinda christian book I guess. Basically, a guy's young daughter was abducted and brutally murdered, so of course, he's angry with God.

Then something happens where he has to go to the Shack where they found his daughter's remains and there he gets to have a conversation with God about what happened, why, and everything.

It's basically the idea that when a parent loses a child, they'd like to have talk with God about why He didn't do anything to save his baby. But in this book, it's really played out. The conversation's just starting so i don't know how it is, but everyone I've spoken with have loved it.

I'll just copy and paste from the information I found online.

The five parts that constitute the novel were originally published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction:
I miss those old magazines we used to find at the grocery stores. Now, the magazine rack is just filled with the same old crap. I remember those old Marvel magazines too, like Crazy and Savage Sword Of Conan, being on the racks. Some things just don't get better with time.

Huh, I guess the Gunslinger book I have collects all thsoe together. I just assumed it was all one book to begin with. :p

Last edited:
Way I figure comic book writers and such are in the entertainment industry. That makes them fair game the same way you curse some athlete at a basketball or baseball game, or boo a bad comedian etc. And before you say that's harsh you do have to realize these people are celebrities. And before you laugh at this consider these are people that will have strangers walk up to them on the street and ask for an autograph or say how much they loved what they did with whatever the same way people will approach actors, musicians or sports figures. While people might be nasty to them there are plenty of those to defend them. Think about that, total strangers damn near ready to hit some other total stranger over a remark said about some both have probably never even met. We're called fans for a reason and personal praise as well as personal attacks are fair game for any fan.

I was just pointing out to Dread that personal attacks are, by no means, limited to only attacks on personal appearance or experience and can be in relation to a person's work or product . I didn't condone or condemn what he said or give my personal views on it. I think Phaedrus45 was the one that had issue with that

The only Stephen King novel I ever read was Christine... loved it... back in 1983...

I'm currently reading The Elixir & the Stone by Michael Baigent & Richard Leigh, an documented look at the evolution of the occult throughout history.

:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"