Box Office King of the 2020s (2020 to 2029)

Reaction score
Marvel Cinematic Universe is the box office king film franchise of the 2010s, while the Harry Potter franchise was the king of the 2000s.

Will Marvel Cinematic Universe still remain the top grossing film franchise in the 2020s or something else would the top spot?

I think Marvel would still be the king. Avatar (if the release dates don't change) won't have the quantity of the films that Marvel Studios will release in the first 2 years of the new decade. While in my opinion, Star Wars/Wizarding World/Fast & Furious have already peaked at the box office and won't come close to the amount of Marvel movies coming out in the 2020s. Well basically, no movie franchise could outnumber the films that Marvel Studios would release in the neXt ten years and each of them are probably guaranteed to gross over $500 million. And if there's a new big film franchise, that probably would occur by the mid/late 2020s. So I think Marvel Studios would rule another decade.

I think it’s pretty shoo-in that Wonder Woman will be top gross DOM and possibly worldwide (I don’t see why it won’t do Aquaman number in China or some 80% of it) in 2020 since there aren’t that many big blockbusters unlike this year. $1b will probably land a movie in top 3 and that’s WW’s floor.

Beyond that the only certainties are Batman X, AQ 2 and Avatar 2, all will be billion club members and Avatar will aim for 2b+. Marvel is in a transitional phase it can swing both ways up or down I don’t see clarity so far (I’m a DC converted Marvel fan so don’t flame me). I see CM 2 and BP 2 have a smaller numbers than 1 and CM 2 will miss $1b mark.

Last edited:
Not really fair comparing the entire MCU with Avatar or any other standalone franchise. I mean, if they continue pumping out two, three or sometimes even four (like in 2021) MCU-movies every year next decade there will be 30 or more MCU-movies in total next decade. Obviously no standalone franchise will see that number of releases. The only things that could rival would be things like DC-movies, Disney's live action remakes and Disney's animated movies.

I think Marvel has one more run as box office kings when they introduce the X-men and F4. After that, I'm not sure. Still waiting on Silver Surfer as well as Hulk vs Wolverine to hit the big screen.

From most likely to least likely

1. MCU- I known that you cant expect ever movie to make the kind of money that end game made but MCU i dont think is going to slow down any time soon. I think spiderman 3 will be great based of the cliph hanger that far from home had and getting like black panther 2 and some of the new characters that are getting movies that have not had movies yet and getting like F4 and xmen in there at some point i think it will do great.

2. A new franchise - Predicting the future is hard and you never known what might be out there that could be the next star wars of the 70's/80s or like todays MCU. This kind of goes with and 3 but you never known how like disney animated might explod. When the first Frozen came out i dont think any one thought it would be has big has it was and you also have a movie like zootopia that made over a billion and people really loved it meaning maybe like a Zootopia 2 does really big numbers or like a Frozen 3 or maybe something that has not started yet that could be like the next frozen.

3. Current franchise i could see star wars making big money again but its going to take some changes has TLJ and TROSW lost a lot of the fan base but at the same time all it might take is 1 good movie. TFA was great and ever one loved it if TLJ and TROSW had been around that level it would have made a lot more money then they are making.

4. Avatar i still dont known how the first movie made so much money has it seems like ever one has turned agest it and i think getting like 2-4 avatar movies in a few years could be over kill.

MCU films.

Animated films as always are strong.

Some DC comic book movies when done right or when the audience decide they re good. (Transformer movies anyone ?)

Random non franchise surprise hits.

Fast & Furious 10.

Avatar and now Star Wars films are a question mark.

Sonic the Hedgehog will spawn two sequels, a Team Dark spinoff series by Zack Snyder, and a Robotnik spinoff directed by Todd Philips.

..I can dream, can't I?

I think what will be surprising (or not for some), will be that SW (post RoS) won’t be as ‘active’ or dominant per sae. I know they’ve already said their releases will be lessened anyway but I think with the nine-film story complete, new trilogies or stories won’t hold the same ‘appeal’ or fan loyalty perhaps ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"