Box Office 2020

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Another year. And another decade that looks like it might start rather quiet after a year that was something like one of those rare occasions when all planets aligned when you think about what Disney delivered. For that company 2020 certainly is a stark contrast with no real sequels next year, although I suppose you can say Black Widow and Eternals are kind of sequels since they are the next chapters in the ongoing MCU-saga. Also noteworthy; there's no Avengers or Star Wars for the first time since 2014. Disney should be less dominant. But Black Widow and Eternals I'd say are two of strongest candidates of winning the box office race. Sure, it's possible the interest in the MCU-movies will wane somewhat in this post-Avengers era, but unless these movies turns out to be real disasters qualitywise I don't see why they won't be there at the top. Wonder Woman 1984 could be a contender and perhaps the year will be a battle between two female superheroes. All in all though it feels like an unusually tricky year to predict. Fast & Furious 9 could be huge obviously, but maybe there will be some franchise fatigue there, being released less than a year after Hobbs & Shaw. Mulan feels like something of a dark horse. Could be really huge depending on the performance in China.

Last edited:
Mulan. Just looking at the numbers that Beauty & The Beast did, plus the additional boost from China, I think this will be a huge movie. I predict it will cross the billion-dollar mark, no problems. Eternals will do better than Black Widow, I think, probably ending up somewhere around 800M - 850M worldwide, while BW will fall just a little behind, not by too much. WW1984 will do really well, hopefully cross a billion but I don’t know if it’s a sure bet. Dune will underperform at the box-office but win big with critics. Raya will have a solid performance, ending up somewhere around 600M - 700M (I kind of doubt it will be a big breakout hit like Frozen, but I guess you never know). Godzilla v Kong will probably get a lot of hype, but it’ll be a wild card. Fast And Furious 9 has a good shot at a billion. Tenet will do merely okay. But I think the big winner of the year will be BoP, which will rake in cash and have solid reviews.

Now only time will tell if I’m wrong on all counts.

Mulan. Just looking at the numbers that Beauty & The Beast did, plus the additional boost from China, I think this will be a huge movie. I predict it will cross the billion-dollar mark, no problems. Eternals will do better than Black Widow, I think, probably ending up somewhere around 800M - 850M worldwide, while BW will fall just a little behind, not by too much. WW1984 will do really well, hopefully cross a billion but I don’t know if it’s a sure bet. Dune will underperform at the box-office but win big with critics. Raya will have a solid performance, ending up somewhere around 600M - 700M (I kind of doubt it will be a big breakout hit like Frozen, but I guess you never know). Godzilla v Kong will probably get a lot of hype, but it’ll be a wild card. Fast And Furious 9 has a good shot at a billion. Tenet will do merely okay. But I think the big winner of the year will be BoP, which will rake in cash and have solid reviews.

Now only time will tell if I’m wrong on all counts.
I'm sure (80-90%) Mulan will win and dominate the BO next year, as much as I hate the politics behind that movie.

I'm going with Venom 2, especially if they get Tom Holland in there.

Studio-wise, I think the top 3 will be:

1. WB (WW84, BOP, Tenet)
2. Disney (BW, Mulan, Eternals)
3. Universal (F&F, Minions)

My thoughts on 15 movies for a Top 10.

01. Fast & Furious 9 - $1150 mil
02. No Time to Die - $850 mil
03. Black Widow - $825 mil
04. Eternals - $800 mil
04. Mulan - $800 mil
04. Minions II - $800 mil
05. WW84 - $675 mil
06. TENET - $650 mil
07. Godzilla vs Kong - $525 mil
08. Jungle Cruise - $475 mil
09. Top Gun Maverick - $450 mil
10. Bad Boys 4 Life - $425 mil
10. The Kings Man - $425 mil
10. Dolittle - $425 mil
10. Birds of Prey - $425 mil

The tied movies are in no particular order.

Highest grossing movies of the year:

1. Tolo Tolo $33,5 million
2. The Grudge $18 million

1. Tolo Tolo $45,8 million
2. The Grudge $29,4 million

I went with Fast 9 but I probably should've picked Mulan

1. Bad Boys for Life $112 million
2. Dolittle $57,3 million
3. Tolo Tolo $49,3 million

1. Bad Boys for Life $217,9 million
2. Dolittle $92,1 million
3. Tolo Tolo $50,7 million
4. The Grudge $40,3 million

I hope the two Pixar films are well received this year, I think of the two, Soul will get more box office $$$$.

1. Bad Boys for Life $292,7 million
2. Dolittle $127,6 million
3. Tolo Tolo $50,8 million
4. The Gentlemen $48,6 million

Domestically January was better than last year, but still quite a bit behind other recent years.:

upload_2020-2-6_7-49-38.png

The film industry is lucky that no major films launch in January - parts of China are deserted with this virus outbreak. Not showing any signs of getting under control either, what's the first big release of the year? BOP? Could lose big bucks in China.

2017 had 4 movies make more than a billion, 2018 had 5, and 2019 had 9

After the past 2 years with anticipation in large part thanks to Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and DC, I wouldn't be surprised if this year was down.

I assume the Fast and Furious movie will make a billion because Hobbs and Shaw made 800, last year while each of the previous 2 "Dom" centric films crossed a billion dollars. (Though 7 made more than 8, so 9 may only barely cross the line). Out of the rest of the stuff up there I don't see anything guaranteed to cross the billion dollar line. I'd like to think Maverick and Ghostbusters will and I'm sure domestically they'll do well but no idea how they'll play to the international audiences.

Black Widow and Eternals will be a real test of the Marvel Brand as EG provided a good jumping off point for people, and unlike Capt. Marvel who was teased in IFW, it's unclear how these will connect.

Should be interesting to watch this year.

1. Bad Boys for Life $337,5 million
2. Dolittle $161,1 million
3. Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey $81,7 million
4. The Gentlemen $60,7 million
5. Tolo Tolo $50,5 million

1. Bad Boys for Life $370,1 million
2. Dolittle $183,3 million
3. Birds of Prey $145,5 million
4. Sonic the Hedgehog $113 million
5. The Gentlemen $67,2 million