Brazilian Soccer Ref Decapitated - [Insert Clever Headline Here]

So we can put this one to bed, right?

Brazilian fans are the new Philly fans in sports conversations?

Very close.

What I'm referring to is the segment of fans that use the "most watched, most popular sport in the world" element of soccer to act as though they are more "cultured" because they watch / play soccer instead of sports like baseball or American football, while explaining away the reason that soccer isn't popular in America because we're just not cultured enough as a nation, and then turn up their noses at American sports because of the "criminals" that "fill" the leagues. :facepalm:

I've experienced that with pretty much every single soccer fan I've ever encountered.

I don't know about the U.S but in the rest of the world Soccer is mainly considered the sport of the poor and working class with it only recently becoming the sport of the middle classes watch.

Most players come from poor or working class backgrounds. In Brazil the professional teams send scouts to the favelas to pick the most talented players for their academies.

In the UK Cricket, Tennis and Rugby are seen as the middle to upper class sports. The upper classes traditionally looked down on soccer and the fans. The Thatcher government of the 1980s saw soccer fans as little more than animals.

I've never heard anyone in my life say American sports are filled with criminals in fact its the opposite over hear with the press constantly talking about British soccer players being criminal scum bags out of touch with reality.
Nah, I'm as liberal as they come, I just hear a lot of **** talking online. It is what it is.
I don't take what I read on the internet as the general consensus. If I took Youtube comments as truth I would weep for humanity.

That's why I was surprised when Nell said it they thought they were holier than thou and morally superior. I'm like really? Soccer fans? :funny:

I don't know about the U.S but in the rest of the world Soccer is mainly considered the sport of the poor and working class with it only recently becoming the sport of the middle classes watch.

Most players come from poor or working class backgrounds.

Here it is completely the opposite. Most soccer players here come from middle or upper-middle class families.

American spectators go to jail for throwing stuff at athletes. Other spectators go to jail for cutting off the heads of refs, throwing grenades onto soccer fields.

Granted our refs don't stab someone in cold blood. And you guys say America's lost :whatever:

I understand the shock of the ref killing the player.... but fans from any sport getting revenge doesn't shock me.

The way they did it is a little huh? though.

This must be why David Beckham came to the U.S., so he can be in a country in which nobody cares for the sport.

More like he was brought over to try to give a boost to the popularity of the sport in America.

Please don't try to tell me you believe Soccer is a top sport in America...

Maybe David just really likes California?

Man...I was all wrong about Soccer. It actually IS exciting after all!

There's been videos of fans throwing grenades/explosives onto the fields.

Soccer fans are bat**** crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"