Brazilian Soccer Ref Decapitated - [Insert Clever Headline Here]

Well, considering that soccer fans routinely act in a "holier than thou, morally superior, God's gift to sports and the world" fashion, you'd think the participants of said sport, and their fanbase, might actually try to set an example.

They do? I thought they're pretty upfront about their hooligan problems.

That's because they don't. Nell really has no idea what he's talking about.

Okay cool, maybe you can also tell me what to wear today, and what to eat for lunch, and what my favorite music and movies are, since you seem to know my life better than me.

Soccer fans by and large carry an attitude of arrogance and elitism about them when it comes to sports.

Hooliganism in the UK back in the day had nothing to do with soccer. It was basically young guys doing a 'fight club'. Getting together with their friends to look for a fight. They were more interested in going around fighting rival soccer gangs than actually watching their team play.

Okay cool, maybe you can also tell me what to wear today, and what to eat for lunch, and what my favorite music and movies are, since you seem to know my life better than me.

Soccer fans by and large carry an attitude of arrogance and elitism about them when it comes to sports.

Tanks tops and shorts for a day like this, Grilled Chicken salad to watch your weight, and some 80s music for a perfect summer day.

It is a sweeping generalisation to say most Soccer fans are arrogance and elitist. I don't think 2.5 billion people can be elitist. Soccer is one of the most inclusive sports on the planet which is why its the most watched and played sport in the world. That isn't bragging that is just reality.

Soccer is very popular and people are passionate about it just like many sports fans are passionate about their favourite sport but I don't believe that is to the detriment of other sports. Many people who like soccer also like other sports.

Soccer is tied into the culture and history of some countries just like American football and baseball are tied into American culture.

All this talk of football hooliganism makes me want to watch Green Street Hooligans again.

It is a sweeping generalisation to say most Soccer fans are arrogance and elitist. I don't think 2.5 billion people can be elitist. Soccer is one of the most inclusive sports on the planet which is why its the most watched and played sport in the world. That isn't bragging that is just reality.

Soccer is very popular and people are passionate about it just like many sports fans are passionate about their favourite sport but I don't believe that is to the detriment of other sports. Many people who like soccer also like other sports.

Soccer is tied into the culture and history of some countries just like American football and baseball are tied into American culture.

I understand what you're saying. And even though I didn't grow up with it I started following the sport in the past decade.

What he's referring to I believe is there's a certain segment of soccer fans that go on about the "most watched, most popular sport" thing as a means to imply that anyone who doesn't consider it their favorite sport is somehow just "wrong". I know it's not a majority but trust me it's out there.

I understand what you're saying. And even though I didn't grow up with it I started following the sport in the past decade.

What he's referring to I believe is there's a certain segment of soccer fans that go on about the "most watched, most popular sport" thing as a means to imply that anyone who doesn't consider it their favorite sport is somehow just "wrong". I know it's not a majority but trust me it's out there.

Very close.

What I'm referring to is the segment of fans that use the "most watched, most popular sport in the world" element of soccer to act as though they are more "cultured" because they watch / play soccer instead of sports like baseball or American football, while explaining away the reason that soccer isn't popular in America because we're just not cultured enough as a nation, and then turn up their noses at American sports because of the "criminals" that "fill" the leagues. :facepalm:

I've experienced that with pretty much every single soccer fan I've ever encountered.

Last edited:
I hate baseball though. I can't bring myself to defend it. lol :cwink:

Wow, this is crazy. Either way never underestimate soccer fans, they're a bigger group than fans of any other sport

Id say Cricket comes in a close second, when comparing rabid fans (esp between India,Sri Lanka and Pakistan)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/05/ricardo-portillo-soccer-referee-dies_n_3219305.html

From just a couple of weeks ago.

No sport and no country is immune to thuggism. Players and coaches and officials get death threats all the time, everywhere, from Little League on up to the pros. And some psychopaths act on those death threats.

While it is true that there are violent incidents around sports here in the US, a fact that I acknowledged in a later post, we don't have large-scale incidents like there are in some places. The story you linked to was about one man punching another, whereas the one we're discussing here involved mob violence after an outright killing that stemmed from events in a game. When the US has sports-related mob violence and lynchings, then we can talk about equivalence with the level of "thuggism" (your term) in other countries.

The crime happened away from the main cities of the country. This type of crime does not occur routinely

While it is true that there are violent incidents around sports here in the US, a fact that I acknowledged in a later post, we don't have large-scale incidents like there are in some places. The story you linked to was about one man punching another, whereas the one we're discussing here involved mob violence after an outright killing that stemmed from events in a game. When the US has sports-related mob violence and lynchings, then we can talk about equivalence with the level of "thuggism" (your term) in other countries.

Fans riot after their team loses. Fans riot after their team wins. Doesn't matter if it's soccer, college football, pro football, basketball, or hockey. (Baseball is so boring, it's still a rarity.) Hell, hockey games are more notorious for riots and fan violence after Stanley Cup games than even the European hooligans.

Here's a list of just some violent spectator incidents in sports over the past century+, including right here in the good ol' US of A:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_violent_spectator_incidents_in_sports

So is this why people say Soccer is a more brutal sport than American Football?

Fans riot after their team loses. Fans riot after their team wins. Doesn't matter if it's soccer, college football, pro football, basketball, or hockey. (Baseball is so boring, it's still a rarity.) Hell, hockey games are more notorious for riots and fan violence after Stanley Cup games than even the European hooligans.

Here's a list of just some violent spectator incidents in sports over the past century+, including right here in the good ol' US of A:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_violent_spectator_incidents_in_sports

During a cricket match between India and Pakistan in Toronto, Canada, an Indian fan repeatedly called Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq a "potato" over a megaphone as he fielded on the boundary; Inzamam grabbed a bat and ran into the stands while swinging it before being restrained by security, but no-one was hit.

:lmao: that is the most wierdest insult Ive ever heard

Is that like a "banana" or an "apple"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"