• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron Man Bridges is The Mandarin & Favreau is Happy Hogan.

Your comparison is ridiculous and your understanding of the world ensemble is flawed. It's just a group of actors that work together which does not exclude villains. LOL Favreau said early on this would not be the Mandarin from the comic books except the name would be the same. Isn't that a clue enough.

Here's one quote from Favreau early on re: The Mandarin...

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8734654&postcount=3

en·sem·ble (
obreve.gif
n-s
obreve.gif
m
prime.gif
b
schwa.gif
l)
n. 1. A unit or group of complementary parts that contribute to a single effect, especially: a. A coordinated outfit or costume.
b. A coordinated set of furniture.
c. A group of musicians, singers, dancers, or actors who perform together: an improvisational theater ensemble; a woodwind ensemble.

This is from Wikpedia using the term ensemble cast in another comic book movie:

Note: Villains and Heroe's are part of an ensemble cast.

Firstly it is not a ridiculous comparison. Mandarin is one of the few chinese villains who has been used in comics and who has grown beyond being a fu-manchu stereotype. And the issue of it being mandarin-in-name only. Mandarin is in fact the name of the primary language spoken in china almost exclusively (which really few white people would speak it as their first language and thereby be unlikely to name themselves after). To have a character with the name mandarin who was originally supposed to be a chinese character played by a white actor infers that favreau and hollywood in general believe that chinese actors are inferior to white american actors.

If that is not racism then what is?

It is therefore just as racist as saying that an important black character has to be played by a white guy on some ludicrous grounds that there aren`t any decent black actors working in the industry.

To use an non-chinese actor as the mandarin is essentially racist. There`s no way of getting around it. If any of you can find a plausible reason for why Jeff Bridges is a better actor than every chinese actor alive and working today then i dare you to put your case forward.

Also yes the ensemble cast bit includes villains but favreau stated the ensemble cast was ROUNDING OFF. This means casting could maybe still have one or two more people to do but in essence the cast is complete MINUS the mandarin.

P.S: Favreau said he was changing the character but he hasn`t changed it that much. Last time i checked a technological version of the rings was still in so most likely mandarin will not be too unrecognizable and thereby he will prob be chinese.

The quote you showed simply indicated that favreau didn`t want mandarin to be anything like the fu-manchu character he was when he first appeared. He didn`t say that no version of the mandarin could work in the movie or that the character was gonna be all different except the name, he simply stated that the chinese stereotype that mandarin was in his first appearances would not be whjat we would see in the movie.

I find it rather telling about the stupidity of this Jeff Birges mandarin proposal that every iron man or avengers site i go on asks whether jeff bridges will be playing happy hogan or howard stark. No one is crazy enough to think jeff bridges as the mandarin is a sensible idea. Except nazis who hate asians i suppose but they fall into the crazy guys catagory.lol.

^ A lot of hot wind.

Knowing what we know...Please tell us who's playing the Mandarin?

Impress...amuse...and confuse.

Bridges as Mandarin? This sounds awful.

Yeah, if Neeson was Ras, why not Brdges? But I don't want IM to be a copy of BB :(

Mandarin must be assian :mad:

Firstly it is not a ridiculous comparison. Mandarin is one of the few chinese villains who has been used in comics and who has grown beyond being a fu-manchu stereotype. And the issue of it being mandarin-in-name only. Mandarin is in fact the name of the primary language spoken in china almost exclusively (which really few white people would speak it as their first language and thereby be unlikely to name themselves after). To have a character with the name mandarin who was originally supposed to be a chinese character played by a white actor infers that favreau and hollywood in general believe that chinese actors are inferior to white american actors.

If that is not racism then what is?

It is therefore just as racist as saying that an important black character has to be played by a white guy on some ludicrous grounds that there aren`t any decent black actors working in the industry.

To use an non-chinese actor as the mandarin is essentially racist. There`s no way of getting around it. If any of you can find a plausible reason for why Jeff Bridges is a better actor than every chinese actor alive and working today then i dare you to put your case forward.

Also yes the ensemble cast bit includes villains but favreau stated the ensemble cast was ROUNDING OFF. This means casting could maybe still have one or two more people to do but in essence the cast is complete MINUS the mandarin.

P.S: Favreau said he was changing the character but he hasn`t changed it that much. Last time i checked a technological version of the rings was still in so most likely mandarin will not be too unrecognizable and thereby he will prob be chinese.

The quote you showed simply indicated that favreau didn`t want mandarin to be anything like the fu-manchu character he was when he first appeared. He didn`t say that no version of the mandarin could work in the movie or that the character was gonna be all different except the name, he simply stated that the chinese stereotype that mandarin was in his first appearances would not be whjat we would see in the movie.

I find it rather telling about the stupidity of this Jeff Birges mandarin proposal that every iron man or avengers site i go on asks whether jeff bridges will be playing happy hogan or howard stark. No one is crazy enough to think jeff bridges as the mandarin is a sensible idea. Except nazis who hate asians i suppose but they fall into the crazy guys catagory.lol.

Good point, I am totaly agreed with you :up:

Good point, I am totaly agreed with you :up:

Me glad you in agreement with him. :woot:

The argument isn't on whether it's a good choice or not. The question is what other options are there? If Feige has "rounded out" the cast which means completed or finished...then who is The Mandarin.

Downey: Uh no.
Pepper: Uh no.
Rhodes: Uh no.
Favreau: Uh no.
Bridges: Uhhhhh who else could it be.

The only other option is Marvel signed another actor and they're just never gonna annouce it. Of course if they hire an Asian it's gonna be obvious. Not hiring one would confuse people. Favreau said about Bridges annoucement that it would "confuse". I'm trying to put pieces of the puzzle together instead of arguing what's my personal opinion of who it SHOULD be.

^^^

Wait a minute, when did Favreau say that Bridges annoucement will confuse fans?

^^^

Well, I think we just need to wait for details about Bridges role. Still, I doubt he will be Mandarin. His role will be more like Hummer or Stark's father.

And Favreau successfully can choose some unknown actor for Mandarin ;)

^ Ok now Batman in the Jeff Bridges Cast thread says that Favreau posted that HE will not be playing Happy. I'm confused on whether he means Favreau or Bridges won't be playing happy. I'm assuming he means he won't be playing Happy himself which kind of throws things for a loop. If that's the case then Favreau & company are F'ng with the fans. I like it. We're missing Happy and Mandarin and Feige's comments really put the screws on things here. WTF is he talking about. I'm gonna do some more digging here. Watch out...Favreau is The Mandarin. LOL Or Downey Jr will also be playing Starks evil brother Mandarin L. Starks. ;)

Look it, the only reason why Bridges makes sense as manderin. (which I hate) is because when everyone else signed on we were told who they were play at the same time. Do you really think they would keep it a secret and be pursuing him for so long if he was playing happy. No way. If you aren't telling people what role he is filling that leads me to believe that it is a major major role. And no role is bigger in a comic movie than the villian. He is definatly stane or manderin. No question.

I still think that too. I'm just confused about Happy now.

Favreau was referring to Bridges, Bridges will not be playing Happy Hogan.

Topics: More news about to break...

Posted: Feb 6, 2007 7:41 PM I gave you all a big fat hint a day early and nobody even came close. You guys are slipping. And, BTW, he's not playing Happy.

If Favreau is playing Happy Hogan, I think that's solid casting.

I'm not going to get into this Bridges/Mandarin conversation because it's stupid.

^ Stupid or not it's the only thing that makes sense. Process of elimination...unless Feige misspoke. It doesn't seem like it.

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...n=4DDEC6FC-D7EC-493D-8DB720268C83268911811643

Look at this thread in the Iron Man group. Favreau comments on the 1st page that the right "guess" (about Bridges) was made in this thread. There were several names thrown out but the only person who used the word "guess" was in regards to "the mandarin". Otherwise every other name was thrown out there. Jon is being funny. LOL The only guesses are above his post obviously.

Names mentioned:

Justin Hammer

Obadiah Stane

Edwin Jarvis

Howard Stark

The Mandarin

Again the only names where "guess" was used was Mandarin and actually Happy too but Favreau said Bridges is NOT playing Happy Hogan.

I dunno, this whole thing seems off to me. Bridges as Mandarin is just a little too out there to swallow without an explanation.

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...n=4DDEC6FC-D7EC-493D-8DB720268C83268911811643

Look at this thread in the Iron Man group. Favreau comments on the 1st page that the right "guess" (about Bridges) was made in this thread. There were several names thrown out but the only person who used the word "guess" was in regards to "the mandarin". Otherwise every other name was thrown out there. Jon is being funny. LOL The only guesses are above his post obviously.

Names mentioned:

Justin Hammer

Obadiah Stane

Edwin Jarvis

Howard Stark

The Mandarin

Again the only names where "guess" was used was Mandarin and actually Happy too but Favreau said Bridges is NOT playing Happy Hogan.

Advanced Dark, that's an excellent pick up, if it turns out right of course. I was on that page earlier today and saw the character names being mentioned by different posters but didn't think much of it, since it seemed to still not really narrow anything down. However, someone on that page said, "I'm guessing Mandarin" and then further down the page Favreau says, "The right guess has been made on this thread". (Note: The words were not bolded). You might be right about this Mandarin thing after all :wow:. But then again we probably could be looking way too deep into just a simple comment. :woot:

Guess will have to wait and see, it makes sense that Jeff would be playing a character like Obidiah Stane or Howard Stark, but, at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me they go the Batman begins route and have him play Mandarin and have another actor be the front man, during a recent casting call, one of the characters there looking to cast was a man called Gene Khan, who know's what his role will be, just looks like it.

Favreau wouldn't go that far off the beaten path with Mandarin. He's not a stupid man. He knows Mandarin's entire character is based around his chinese lineage; he feels its his duty to rule as his ancestors did in their time. He was somewhat sane as a businessman, but the rings basically took him over the edge, and he started dressing in the garb of his ancestors, acting more like a genghis khan type, etc.

I'm not talking about making sense as far as him getting the role. I'm talking about process of elimination. Assuming Feige's satement is accurate and the major roles are filled.

That doesn't mean Bridges = Mandarin.

It doesn't make me impressed, amused, and confused either. If that is the case, it's just plain confusing and possibly infuriating.

And if they do the Mandarin I hope he's not an evil CEO or business tycoon either because I am sick of that. I think the best Mandarin was during Busiek's run in the late 90's.

Just go through the annouced ensemble and the only unknowns are who's playing Mandarin and who's playing Happy. We know Bridges is not playing Happy but apparently the role is cast. The role is big enough to warrant Favreau starting a thread "happy thoughts" and most people recommended him. I think it's safe to say Favreau is Happy. Now...Mandarin is left and only one actor remains. Bridges who's role is a mystery while the other's are not. Nobody suggested he's an evil business tycoon either. He could be Stark Senior...but then again who's the Mandarin. Is the Mandarin a secret identity of one of the other cast members? Then who? it keeps pointing to Bridges unless Feigie misspoke or was being deceptive. If he is the Mandarin it'll probably have a group of people up in arms until they see the movie. Favreau said in the beginning he's not going to be the same as in the comics and Mandarin could be just a code word for the villain in a Bondish kinda way.

Just speculating gives me a headache. I'll wait until more details are available.

But if Favreau is playing Happy I think that's good news.

Agreed. If you read through all the posts here I'm not arguing with you about anything. Just the process of elmination based on Feige's quotes in a few different articles. If the Mandarin is a mysterious unknown character in the film that's elusive then casting one Asian in the film would kind of make everything too obvious. I think this is being done to fool the general audience. The rest of us could figure this out if Feige is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"