Brimstone Appreciation Thread

L

LastSunrise1981

Anyone remember this show? It was an excellent show with some great writing, acting, and the concept behind it was cool as well. It was one of those shows that had everything going for itself and Fox decided to cancel it due to their misconceptions that the show wasn't well liked.

In 1983, Ezekiel "Zeke" Stone (Peter Horton) was a New York City Police detective whose wife, Rosalyn, was raped. He tracked down and arrested the offender, Gilbert Jax, who was cleared of the charges. Furious, Stone then murdered Jax in cold blood. Two months later, Stone himself was killed in an unrelated event, and went to Hell for Jax's death. The Devil (played to much fan acclaim by John Glover) explains in the pilot episode that this was both because Stone responded to his wife's rape with murder, and because he took pleasure in the killing, which prevented it from being justice. Stone died the most decorated cop in NYC history.

Fifteen years later, a breakout from Hell occurs, led by a pagan priestess named Ashur Badaktu (Teri Polo), and 113 spirits escape. Because the Devil is powerless on Earth (though he can change the rules sometimes, as he does in the episode with Jax and Stone), he makes a deal with Stone: Stone will be returned to Earth to track down these 113 escapees, and if he can return all 113 to Hell (before one of them gets him), he will earn a second chance at life on Earth, and therefore, Heaven. The Devil seems to hinder Stone's work almost as much as he helps it, however, giving some information but withholding crucial facts, or giving only cryptic clues to where Stone will find the next of the escapees, apparently delighting in watching him become more irritable with his interference. It was suggested by an angel (in the episode "It's a Helluva Life") that Stone served God's purpose as well as the Devil's by defeating the escaped souls and in the same episode, the Devil attempts to trick Stone into swearing full allegiance to Hell in return for his wife's life.

Both Stone and the escapees have powers that would qualify as superhuman. Because they are in fact dead and immortal souls, they cannot be killed, injured, or even caused pain, except by themselves or by other escapees, and they do not bleed. Stone wears the clothing he was killed in, and carries his issue service pistol which he has no need to load or reload (this facet, however, is called into question, as he did run out of ammo at the end of "Lovers") and his detective's gold shield (in one episode he jokes, "Badge number 666"), neither of which sustain any damage, including from being hit with bullets. At the time of death, Stone was carrying $36.27 in cash, the amount being a reference to Ezekiel 36:27: "And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." Every day, Stone begins with this amount in his pocket to cover the day's expenses; the only practical advantage other than his Hell-spawned abilities.

The eyes being traditionally the "windows to the soul", Stone is informed that if the eyes of Hell's missing are pierced - his own included - then the soul will be returned to Hell. Should he be returned, his mission would be considered a failure; therefore, he would remain in Hell and another person would be chosen to return the fugitive souls.

Some escapees have powers such as the ability to generate extreme heat or electricity; the Devil explains that the longer you spend in Hell, the more it becomes a part of you, literally. Even though Stone himself describes them (in the opening narration) as "the most vile creatures", some of the escapees seem no more evil than Stone himself. Stone wears the name and pictographs of these souls as tattoos over his body; as each soul is sent back, his or her corresponding tattoo burns itself off.

Among Stone's allies were Maxine (Lori Petty), the woman who owned the hotel where he stayed, and Father Cletus Horn (Albert Hall), a blind priest who eventually learned of Stone's mission. Stone occasionally worked with police detectives Ash and Fraker (Scott Lawrence). Much of the series' internal conflict was generated by the fact that Stone's wife Rosalyn (Stacy Haiduk) was still alive and he couldn't resist staying away from her.

[YT]qotcZIqQGYo[/YT]

[YT]_7rOtM1EBzo[/YT]

[YT]q2hXI53FOgc[/YT]

[YT]9YaHo6lrflg[/YT]

[YT]B0ZOtdHbT9c[/YT]

[YT]FFeiYYXVNlQ[/YT]

I remember it, was pissed they canceled it. Wish they release the dvd box set :mad:

I remember it, was pissed they canceled it. Wish they release the dvd box set :mad:

Rumor has it that they're looking into a DVD box set release. But I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. :csad:

I loved this. It was ahead of it's time.

It seems like Fox definitely has a pattern of ruining great concepts that turned into excellent shows. Whenever I watch the past episodes on Youtube I find myself being sad because the rumored scripts had it going into an excellent, darker, more emotional, and grittier direction.

From what I understand it was going to get darker with him having to fight an entire army of the damned and that Ezekiel does get his second chance at life. However, I can't remember exactly how he did it, but it was really good and I would've loved to have seen it come to fruition.

I loved this show soo much...i was really sad for a few days when the cancelled it

Fox always gets shows that are ahead of their time and cancels them.vI never saw an episode, but based on reading the premise and the cast of actors (John Glover, Lori Petty, Peter Horton) I'm interested in watching this show. With the right kind of push I bet this could have run five seasons, and even garnered a bigger cult following than Buffy. But Fox always cancels good stuff to replace it with crap.

I don't think there's anything else I could say about the show that hasn't already been said here. The premise definitely lent itself to a five-year run, given the number of souls that Zeke had to capture. The whole concept was great, and very dark. On the flip side, I'm happy for shows like Supernatural, that have been given a chance to build an audience.

I don't think there's anything else I could say about the show that hasn't already been said here. The premise definitely lent itself to a five-year run, given the number of souls that Zeke had to capture. The whole concept was great, and very dark. On the flip side, I'm happy for shows like Supernatural, that have been given a chance to build an audience.

Supernatural is a bad show in my opinion. I saw one episode and immediately thought "They cancelled Angel for **** like this?". My dad loves the show though and he said it's one of the best he's ever seen.

As for Brimstone? I truly believe it had an audience. Fox just decided to be Fox and cancel a show that had great potential. Would've loved to have seen Ezekiel try to take on Satan too.

Supernatural is a bad show in my opinion. I saw one episode and immediately thought "They cancelled Angel for **** like this?". My dad loves the show though and he said it's one of the best he's ever seen.

As for Brimstone? I truly believe it had an audience. Fox just decided to be Fox and cancel a show that had great potential. Would've loved to have seen Ezekiel try to take on Satan too.

Your dad knows his ****. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"