Bush's promise of help for Ulster economy

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
Bush's promise of help for Ulster economy

ULSTER'S First and Deputy First Ministers are returning to the Province from their five-day visit to the United States content in the knowledge that George Bush has pledged to do all he can to help its economy.
The President revealed his intentions to Ian Paisley and Martin McGuiness in a meeting with them that had been scheduled to last just 15 minutes - but went on for over an hour.

The meeting in the White House marked the end of the pair's five-day visit to the United States, which both hailed as a great success.

DUP leader Dr Paisley said that he "couldn't leave this city in a better frame of mind".

He said today: "It's a very happy way we leave. This has been a tremendous meeting for us. This has been a cracker of a meeting.

"Every meeting in New York and Washington was successful in ways that were unexpected.

"We were really encouraged to get that kind of engagement but the final meeting with the President was the coronation for our whole trip.

"We came away knowing that the leader of the western world has a firm knowledge of how things are in Northern Ireland and what we need to do."

Added Dr Paisley: "He has given us a promise that he will do everything in his power to help us with the economy and with the investment conference we are planning for American businessmen next May."

Echoing his praise, Martin McGuiness said: "I think people here are delighted and overjoyed, as we are delighted and overjoyed."

He also paid tribute to Dr Paisley for his efforts.

"Obviously it was a particularly gruelling week and the schedule was hectic," he said.

"However given Ian Paisley's age I thought he was absolutely tremendous.

"The visit has made a huge impact in New York and Washington within the business community who are really anxious to support our economic investment conference and also the politicians on Capitol Hill.

"The decision by Hillary Clinton to spend an hour with Ian Paisley and myself despite her intense presidential campaign was also a tremendous testimony to how she has been affected by the political progress that has been made.

"The words she spoke came from the heart and I have no doubt that she will maintain an ongoing interest in political leaders who are willing to take risks for peace and stability."

And it appears that the presence of the Ulster leaders was equally welcomed in the States, with Senator Hillary Clinton, the front runner in the Democratic Party's race for the Presidential nomination,
having stated that there would be an open door for the first and deputy first minister if she were elected to the White House.

Mrs Clinton also revealed that she was hoping to return to Belfast next year.

"I am going to do whatever I can as president, to make sure that the first minister and the deputy first minister know that they have an open door in the White House," she said.

"They have as much support and encouragement as we possibly can provide, not only from our government but from, as the first minister said, our private sector and I would go so far as to say even Americans individually."

Earlier in the week, chief executives of financial services sector companies had been lobbied by the pair to invest in Northern Ireland.

A promise was also secured from Mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg that he will visit the Province next year.

what the hell did we do to you guys:csad:

I dont understand.What do you mean "What did we do to you guys"?
Just sounds to me like they're looking for an economic boost,most likely via international tourism..
Are you afraid it somehow reflects were taking a partisan side in Irelands sectarian nonsense?

Let's hope Bush does for your economy what he has done for ours. You're welcome, Ireland!

I dont understand.What do you mean "What did we do to you guys"?
Just sounds to me like they're looking for an economic boost,most likely via international tourism..
Are you afraid it somehow reflects were taking a partisan side in Irelands sectarian nonsense?

dont have much of a sense of humour do ya

I've been thinking lately about how some of the young generation from middle classes that don't really know much about the troubles have trouble defining their national identity.

Am I correct in observing that some seem to be offended by foreigners coming over and calling everyone Irish? I find that VERY interesting, because what do you expect to be called? Where were you born? Ireland. Where were your parents born? Ireland. So... you're Irish :huh:

Its not even like some of these people have particular unionistic views. Its like, some of them somehow feel that defining yourself as Irish in some way offends people and perpeptuates secterianism? The truth of the matter is, only a fool would be offended by someone defining themselves as Irish. So why do some take this "PC" approach to their own national identity when they don't even hold unionistic views?

all i needed to read was "Bush's promise"...then i stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"