Calling all Hypesters in computer related industry careers!

Logan's Lady

Say you’ll hold...
Reaction score
Heya Hypesters!

I've decided to go back to school and am doing much research on what different computer related careers are out there. I am finding that though there should be jobs in computers for years to come, that there are so many different jobs I'm having trouble singling out the job I want.

I need your help because the research I'm doing online really doesn't tell me exactly what a person in each field does. Right now I think I'm leaning towards doing computer networking, but I also am interested in what I would be doing if I were to get a Bachelors in Computer Engineering.

If you have a computer related career please post what your title is (Computer Engineer, Computer Networking Engineer, etc.) and let me know what type of schooling you took to get there. Also, what specific tasks do you do at your job.

Thanks in advance for all your help! :)

hey i have a computer

i have a job in pseudo engineering. its computer drafting/engineering. do you have cad experience?

He's totally a cad.

No I don't.
So what type of degree did you get for that?

i didnt actually. i went to college for computer programming and i ended up putting my resume in where my dad was working. I'm assuming that they hired me because i had a computer background and besides, they trained me anyways. i think as long as you have a computer background, most doors are open. sorry if this doesnt help at all.

He's totally a cad.

not really sure what that's supposed to mean.

Specialize is all I can tell you. Don't go for the general stuff. I did. I have a degree in Computer networking Systems and it's nice, but the real money is specializing. Check out SAP Administration, Sharepoint Admin or Linux Admin. You'll make bank and be in high demand.

It also doesn't hurt to learn Java and HTML.

Specialize is all I can tell you. Don't go for the general stuff. I did. I have a degree in Computer networking Systems and it's nice, but the real money is specializing. Check out SAP Administration, Sharepoint Admin or Linux Admin. You'll make bank and be in high demand.
Thanks!
That's a big help.

It also doesn't hurt to learn Java and HTML.
I'm sure that will be part of the computer education whatever degree I choose. And, I've always wanted to learn HTML, guess Java would help too ;)

Java especially. You can do so much with it.

I'm a Systems Engineer. Which means I basically build the back end servers our entire company uses (Exchange, Domain Controllers, DB Boxes, File Servers, Print Servers, Application Servers, Citrix Servers, etc.) I actually have an associates degree in Electronics and Computer Sciences that I got from a Technical College similar to ITT.

First decide what your goals are. Do you want to get a job that you really enjoy, or something that will make you alot of money. Programing and Database Administration are big and can rake in the bucks, but you're generally sitting in front of the computer all day typing out code. That wasn't for me, so I went more towards the hardware side of things building and installing servers. It's not as much money, but I enjoy it so much more. I actually started out on the Technical Support phones at my current company and worked my way up to where I am. Most of what I know now, I learned on the job.

Networking is always good and always in demand. Certifications always help if you're going into networking.

SQL DB Administration is also huge and in large demand.

Another job that should be around and in demand for awhile are Web Design based jobs. Graphic Design, Website Design/management, Web Development (HTML, PERL, PHP, Flash, etc.). A good thing about web design is that some places allow you to work from home.

Good Luck!

SQL DB Administration is also huge and in large demand.

Another job that should be around and in demand for awhile are Web Design based jobs. Graphic Design, Website Design/management, Web Development (HTML, PERL, PHP, Flash, etc.). A good thing about web design is that some places allow you to work from home.

Good Luck!

Just FYI, this is a lot of the stuff that I do here for SHH [at least for the forums--I've not quite made it up to par for the main pages yet].

Graphic design is very competitive job I think.

is the computer industry a good choice though? Outsourcing could be a problem. I know a lot of people in the IT field who were laid off because their jobs were outsourced to someone in a different country earning a quarter of what people in the U.S. make.

is the computer industry a good choice though? Outsourcing could be a problem. I know a lot of people in the IT field who were laid off because their jobs were outsourced to someone in a different country earning a quarter of what people in the U.S. make.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/031409-computer-science-majors.html?page=2

"The primary reason for the downturn in computer science majors was the erroneous fear that everything was being outsourced to India, which we know is not true," says Prof. Jerry Luftman, executive director of the School of Technology Management at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, N.J.
"If you take a look at the number of jobs that are going offshore, it's a small percentage of IT jobs," Luftman says. "We know that companies are identifying more opportunities to leverage IT, which is going to increase the demand for IT professionals. If you take into consideration the number of Baby Boomers nearing retirement, the number of available IT jobs will far exceed the pipeline of students that are going to be available."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"