Can a Great Performance Exist In a Bad Film?

Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
I think it can happen. I believe that once an actor shows that he is credible (believable), he fulfills his purpose as a good actor. I mainly made this thread to discuss great performances in bad films, if you believe that may be the case. I've seen some people who will hate a film, and hate every single thing about it. They somehow are unable to find not one redeeming factor in it (cough*fanboy*cough*), and dismiss the whole film.

I'll tell an example of one of my opinions on the matter. I Am Legend had moderately good reviews, and was somewhat mixed. I thought the movie was a good 3 out of 4 star film, despite not being true to the book, which I didn't care 2 cents about. It had many heavily flawed, but one of the things that was great was Will Smith's performance. Nobody is right or wrong with liking or not liking his performance, but I thought that his performance was amazing, and saved the film from certain doom.

Feel free to bring up examples of great performances in bad films, and also discuss whether it can happen or not.
Remember that this thread isn't to point the finger that somebody or say that someone is right or wrong.

Isn't a good performance one that elevates the overall quality of a film? Henceforth, it would no longer be a bad film.

well I think so, I feel Bale's performance in Harsh Times was solid but the movie still wasn't very good

great actors have been in bad films, it happens all the time.

despite not being true to the book, which I didn't care 2 cents about.

Congrats, you liked a movie that Hollywood made just for you. Good job.

But yes, it happens. Sam Jackson was in Deep Blue Sea, his speech was the best part. Then there is Christopher Walken in anything. And that's all I can think of right now.

Congrats, you liked a movie that Hollywood made just for you. Good job.

It's called an adaptation.

But yes, it happens. Sam Jackson was in Deep Blue Sea, his speech was the best part. Then there is Christopher Walken in anything. And that's all I can think of right now.

:up:

Will Smith in I am Legend was the first thing on my mind when I read the topic title :)

Though I liked the movie, the rest of the world think the movie is the biggest pos ever, so I'm posting Ian McKellen in X-Men The Last Stand

I hated Transformers, but I think Shia LaBouf made a great job...

It's called an adaptation.

:whatever:

Will Smith in I am Legend was the first thing on my mind when I read the topic title :)

Though I liked the movie, the rest of the world think the movie is the biggest pos ever, so I'm posting Ian McKellen in X-Men The Last Stand

I hated Transformers, but I think Shia LaBouf made a great job...

Heck, you might as well say Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart for all three movies. And Transformers was alright after the big robot battles high wore off and that was because of Shia LaBeouf, so I agree there.

Oh yes .... happens often.

Walken is a great example, the man always acts his socks off but has been in many bad movies.

A great performance does not really elevate a bad movie it tends to exist in a little bubble ... a ray of light in the gloom.

Gigli is the best example. Walken comes in for a scene or two and does Walken great, Pacino comes in and does Pacino great, and the movie still blows so bad that I couldn't even watch it.

Showed one time in a movie club, something like 70%-80% of the people walked out.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote".

Also, Patrick Stewart in Star Trek Insurrection... (again, I don't think the movie is all that bad, but the rest of the world...)

Oh, I definitely think it can.

I never saw the movie, but that In the Land of Women got mostly bad reviews, but I heard Meg Ryan was really great in it. Somebody would have to tell me, because again I never saw it. (Speaking of Meg Ryan, I really hope she makes a comeback sometime soon...)

I am having a hard time thinking of examples, but I definitely say yes to the question.

There are many many bad movies with great performances. Jeff Bridges in 'The Big Lebowski', Reese Witherspoon in 'Freeway' just to name the first two that come to mind. There are dozens if I thought about it.

There are many many bad movies with great performances. Jeff Bridges in 'The Big Lebowski', Reese Witherspoon in 'Freeway' just to name the first two that come to mind. There are dozens if I thought about it.

..:o ..

Usually I say, to each his own, I value your opinion and blablabla. But everyone who dislikes The Big Lebowski deserves to be shot in the back of the neck.

Yeah, The Big Lebowski is truly a great movie, everyone's performance was awesome and the story is amazingly brilliant.

On topic though, yes a great performance can exist in a bad movie, happens all the time, my example Liam Neeson in Star Wars Episode 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"