Can an IP be stolen?

Discussion in 'Tech & Support' started by Mentok, May 4, 2006.

1. Mentok Registered

I have been visiting an imageboard for a while and I tried to go on last night but it says my IP was banned for posting offencive things.

The thing is, I have never actually posted on the site.

Can your IP address be stolen and used by someone else???

What the hell is going on?

2. Kipobe Registered

You don't own your IP address... it changes from time to time... so someone else eventually will recieve your current address, and you have someone elses old address. That could be one reason within itself.

More than likely though, the reason you're banned is because you share the same subnet mask as someone else (which makes up the majority of your IP address). So someone else (likely someone in your area) was the offender, and the IP ban covers the subnet instead of your specific address.. causing problems for not only you, but a number of people. Simply contact the admins of the site and let them know the problem. Show them your IP, and they'll be able to match it with the offenders IP, and all should be okay.

Then again, they may not be so quick to forgive... after all, they have no real way of identifying you as the innocent individual... especially if the IP's are so similar... they may be skeptical. But try it all the same.

You learn alot about IP's when you piss Malice off over and over. :o

3. black_dust FrEaK-A-ZoId!!!

I was banned off the hype once, when i had a 56k modem, i redailed and i got back on :) So no idea what was going on there :)

4. Lackey Registered

Give me your IP address and I can find out for you if it's been stolen. :)

5. Scarlet spidey Old school

IP addresses change, but they are never stolen. Just traded back and fourth behind your back.

6. Kipobe Registered

There in lies the difference between a static and dynamic IP. Dial up changes it's IP you're on every log on session... so you probably just caught a bad IP on your first log in.

7. Mentok Registered

Cool, thanks for all that :up:

ROFL :up:

8. spideyrunner Registered

The same thing happened to me once. Dont know why?? I just got this new nick.