Superman's power level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early Golden Age? He doesn't even fly.

Thinking about it, it's strange that people always go on about Supes being overpowered. Well, why does no one moan about Wally West being overpowered? Or J'onn Johns?

Wally Flash was ridiculously powerful. More powerful than Superman. J'onn basically is Superman... but with Professor X level telepathy.
It's because it's a buzzword people use to discredit Superman. "Too powerful", "boring" and "perfect". These people haven't read a Superman comic in their lives.

The incredible and versatile powerfulness of Superman was part of what drew me to the character to begin with. :)

Such an agressive aproach, impliying that someone who thinks different hasn't read a comics, lack imagination, etc.

I like de Fleischer Superman, it's incredible powerfull, but not overpowered. Even if you like him able to fly at the speed of light (and that make no sense), moving planets (nonsense) or something like that, someone has to admit that at one point it's pretty much ridiculous. They even had to come up with something lame like being unable to leave their home planet due to a genetic code.

And even then, if Supes enemies are more powerfull or as powerfull as he is, how someone can even match with this guys? Fighting at the speed of light, tearing apart planets. I know is a comic and don't have to match reality, but I can't like something so illogical (personal opinion) or that has an argument that falls apart by itself.

Same with Wally West and the dimensional travelling, Almighty Speedforce aproach, etc, etc etc.

Loved the tonedown Martian Manhunter (JLA version)!

What do you mean it makes no sense for him to fly at the speed of light? It's superhero comics.

Flying at the speed of light is no more stupid or nonsensical than a teenager getting bitten by a spider and getting spider powers. Or a green ring allowing someone to create constructs from their imagination. Or a mutant with the power to control magnetic fields.

I mean honestly, if you're reading a superhero comic and there is a scene where someone blows up a planet, or travels through dimensions, or lifts a mountain, or travels at FTL and you're like "that doesn't make any sense" then i think that maybe high fantasy superhero comics are not for you.

Last edited:
Not at all! It's not everything black and white. And I said it before "I know is a comic and don't have to match reality, but I can't like something so illogical (personal opinion) or that has an argument that falls apart by itself."

I don't have to swallow everything they right, I can have a critical and personal opinion about what i'm reading and if it's good to me or isn't.

And "doesn't make any sense" to a godlike, overpowered creature to have enemies.

Actually, everything about Superman could potentially make sense. All of his powers can be feasibly explained as well as their origin (his alien physiology).

Whereas Spider-Man, for example his powers do not. Genetic manipulation cannot occur after you are fully developed as seen with Spider-Man. But whatevs, it's a comic.

What is the difference between an alien who can lift several tens of tons and an alien who can lift possibly five times that, when it comes to a film? As a complaint, it makes no sense. Especially from a "relatability" standpoint, I've never seen someone who can throw a car around like it were a tennis ball, so any story with any sort of powered protagonist would be unrelatable. But his emotional struggles, that's what makes him relatable.

Just a thought I had today... Havent seen any pics during fliming of henry flying, Havent heard any talk about flying from Zach or any of the cast. Do you think superman can fly in this movie? Do you think they'll take any powers away?

Just a thought I had today... Havent seen any pics during fliming of henry flying, Havent heard any talk about flying from Zach or any of the cast. Do you think superman can fly in this movie? Do you think they'll take any powers away?

GB: I read once a long time ago — and I’m not sure if this is true at all – that Superman was the first character in Western fiction who flew horizontally without wings. Even if he wasn’t, the idea of flying like a swimmer in the sky without any obvious propulsion is pretty nutty on close inspection. Here’s a random question: Do you do the flat-palm flying or the follow-your-fist approach?

HC: The fist thing is quite a natural thing to do once you’ve gotten into the mind set of being horizontal and flying. Because there is no inner propulsion system that you can dial up. You do it in a very human way. ‘I am now going faster,’ that’s when the clenched fist thing kind of happens. It’s all fun.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011...enry-cavill-got-essential-insight-in-red-son/

An odd response on Cavill's part if he was not going to be flying in the film. Plus - it's Superman! :cwink:

What do you mean it makes no sense for him to fly at the speed of light? It's superhero comics.

Flying at the speed of light is no more stupid or nonsensical than a teenager getting bitten by a spider and getting spider powers. Or a green ring allowing someone to create constructs from their imagination. Or a mutant with the power to control magnetic fields.

I mean honestly, if you're reading a superhero comic and there is a scene where someone blows up a planet, or travels through dimensions, or lifts a mountain, or travels at FTL and you're like "that doesn't make any sense" then i think that maybe high fantasy superhero comics are not for you.
Although there are variations, I’d argue that superheroes work best as sci-fi constructs. That’s certainly how Supes has been portrayed. The “explanation” for his powers is the pseudo-scientific differential between red star and yellow star environments; it’s not because of a magic wand. Likewise, things like poisonous kryptonite radiation and x-ray vision being blocked by lead have analogues to real world science. So despite the larger-than-life nature of Supes, some semblance of scientific plausibility is being maintained.

Now even the most scientifically illiterate have probably heard that FTL travel is forbidden. This isn’t an engineering problem; it’s physically impossible. Thus, even Star Trek (not the most technically accurate example of the genre) knows enough to use the “warp drive” lingo. Any mention of breaking the light barrier would be too conspicuously (and unnecessarily) “bad science.” I don’t see why a lower standard would be acceptable for Superman.

I'm strictly talking comics there. I don't think he will be FTL in the film. I imagine he'd at least be supersonic or hypersonic though.

And he broke the light barrier in Donner's film. That's how he travelled back in time. I know not a lot of people like that though.

JAK®;23350259 said:
It's because it's a buzzword people use to discredit Superman. "Too powerful", "boring" and "perfect". These people haven't read a Superman comic in their lives.

True, it's especially stupid when you realize there's several superheroes on par with Superman in terms of power.

Question for the board - In Superman Returns what was the responce from the movie audience when Superman got shot in the eye and later lifts the Crystal island?

When I saw the movie with the the non-comic book fan audience the scene where he got shot in the eyes got a few giggles and that was cool response from the crowd, but most were like hoe hum about it.

It got a bit of a muted response in my theater when the bullet hit his eye. But then, that scene had already been shown in numerous TV spots (and possibly a trailer? Can't remember) so it wasn't blowing everyone away with surprise ...... I'd say a few of them had already seen it.

It got a bit of a muted response in my theater when the bullet hit his eye. But then, that scene had already been shown in numerous TV spots (and possibly a trailer? Can't remember) so it wasn't blowing everyone away with surprise ...... I'd say a few of them had already seen it.

I typically try to stay away from trailers and TV spots..too bad Avengers was on every second...LOL. I've stayed away from most of TDKR as much as possible.

What about the island response from the audience?

I've never agreed with the whole "If he's so powerful, nothing will seem like a threat" thing.

It's pretty simple to create and show threats to him.

Superman is powerful? Not with Kryptonite involved.

Superman is powerful? So is Zod, on a similar or greater level.

Superman is powerful? So is Braniac. So is Darkseid. So is Mongul. So is Doomsday.

Superman can do a lot? He can't do everything.

It's not that hard to create a physical or emotional/psychological threat, regardless of his level of power. You simply have to make the threats...threats to Superman and/or those he cares about/innocent people.

And Superman being relatable should have next to nothing to do with his power levels.

:up: Spot on, Superman being super powerful doesnt put me off him, it makes me enjoy his stories even more as its great to see him doing things other heroes couldnt.

Actually, everything about Superman could potentially make sense. All of his powers can be feasibly explained as well as their origin (his alien physiology).

Yeah, I didn't said that at one degree some level of power could be convincingly easy to explain, even plausible. A mix between a higher gravitational force (result of a bigger planet), higher muscle density and bone structure, could be a potential explanation of all his phisical feats. This, mixed with the yellow solar radiation absortion would increase his durability, stamina and give him all his energy projection powers (heat beams, xray-like vision, fly).

Whereas Spider-Man, for example his powers do not. Genetic manipulation cannot occur after you are fully developed as seen with Spider-Man. But whatevs, it's a comic.

Yeah, I know that, and even I don't like that he acquire spider-powers from one day to another. If there is a manipulation in his genetic code, the sickness and change would take longer than one day. We have to put some imagination on it (i know this), but it's a Superman thread, so I wouldn't mind keed talking about Supes :D

What is the difference between an alien who can lift several tens of tons and an alien who can lift possibly five times that, when it comes to a film? As a complaint, it makes no sense. Especially from a "relatability" standpoint, I've never seen someone who can throw a car around like it were a tennis ball, so any story with any sort of powered protagonist would be unrelatable. But his emotional struggles, that's what makes him relatable.

Not at all, the matter about relatability it's no Superman being overpowered, it's about the whole "universe" being overpowered. If supes have to overcome gigantic threats, capable of achieving light-speed, tearing planets apart in matter of seconds, I don't see how they can make a story with the audience swallowing it. If an alien spaceship (brainiac or darkseid) comes with a doomsday device, planet destroying power, I can see that matching Superman silver-age superpowers, but how can possible solve a situation like that without saying "it's superman". And don't bother with some Batman association, 'cause I wonder the same thing when I see Batman in a situation like that.

If they are retelling (it's ok the verb?) a beginning path about Superman with human actors, they have to seek the most human approach possible.

All this with an obvious struggle about his origins, his detachment from humankind and his moral compass.

I liked the first 2 donnerverse superman. But come on, shield-projecting and time travelling kinda ruin the Superman feeling.

Although there are variations, I’d argue that superheroes work best as sci-fi constructs. That’s certainly how Supes has been portrayed. The “explanation” for his powers is the pseudo-scientific differential between red star and yellow star environments; it’s not because of a magic wand. Likewise, things like poisonous kryptonite radiation and x-ray vision being blocked by lead have analogues to real world science. So despite the larger-than-life nature of Supes, some semblance of scientific plausibility is being maintained.

Yeah, but through the years (and happens with ALL the comicbook characters), several writers had some cartoon-like approachs, making them what I consider could only be awesome to the eyes of a child.

All the pseudo-scientific facts you mention are pretty well done I believe. But when they make an Uber-Superman in the Silver-Age, do you remember what crazy crap they had to make to not fill the whole universe with overpowered kryptonians? Several characters have ******** stories, most of them are even part of the cannon. I like to make a whole, a core character with all the stories, getting rid of the crap. It's a personal view, but I do that with every character. It's one of the strongest and weakest points about the superhero comics. They have too many stories.

Now even the most scientifically illiterate have probably heard that FTL travel is forbidden. This isn’t an engineering problem; it’s physically impossible. Thus, even Star Trek (not the most technically accurate example of the genre) knows enough to use the “warp drive” lingo. Any mention of breaking the light barrier would be too conspicuously (and unnecessarily) “bad science.” I don’t see why a lower standard would be acceptable for Superman.

(Y)

True, it's especially stupid when you realize there's several superheroes on par with Superman in terms of power.

Yeah, but they usually tone them down. But Superman zealots always make a lots of problems about it.

I saw Hancock again this weekend and was reminded at how much I liked how powerful he was and how easy things were for him.

Flying without obvious propulsion is nutty now? God I've heard everything. They'll let Marvel characters and Batman get away with ANYTHING but Superman gets to be scrutinized for every single aspect.

Last edited:
Yeah, but they usually tone them down. But Superman zealots always make a lots of problems about it.

Yeah they do tone them down alot, I bet Superman fans would have a fit if he was toned down as much as Thor or Hulk.

I really don't understand people's misconception of this character.

Had a row last night with a friend who hates Superman. He just kept saying that it's like he thinks he's above everyone else because he's so all powerful and never wrong.

But I think that's the issue, and points to why Superman's power is critisized.

Other characters, who have just as much power, are not hated for it because nobody sees them as being 'above' anyone in the same way people percieve Superman.

I think the more you can make an audience see that he doesn't see himself as above anything, and he's not some arrogant god imposing his morals on our world, the less it will matter how powerful he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"