Superman's power level

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to the scale of Superman's powers, I've already stated that I prefer a more powerful Superman to a less powerful one. There's a certain suspension of disbelief when you're watching films like this, and I think when Superman is involved - the biggest and strongest of them all - you have to take that disbelief just a little farther and allow yourself to enjoy what you're seeing onscreen, even if it's not wholly realistic.

He can fly. He can shoot fire from his eyes. He can move so fast that we appear motionless around him. He can freeze things with his breath. He can lift hundreds, maybe thousands of tons, and withstand pressures which would crush any human.

So if he can do all this, and Snyder has the opportunity to really, really explore these powers on screen and impress us with Superman's abilities, why not do it properly?

One thing I would like to see though is some understanding of what it's actually like being Superman, and having to control these powers. TAS did it well when they had him say something along the lines of "I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard" when he finally let loose against Darkseid. By all means, make him very powerful, but also show us that he HAS to rein it in on a daily basis in order not to damage or hurt the people and surroundings around him.

I typically try to stay away from trailers and TV spots..too bad Avengers was on every second...LOL. I've stayed away from most of TDKR as much as possible.

What about the island response from the audience?

I think the island bit went down well, no real gasps or oohs but I had a few people with me (non-comic fans) who thought it was pretty cool.

:up:

Of course Superman should be his good old self. Like you said, people expect it with a movie like this. Nobody wants to see a depowered fragile Superman, especially now with Avengers kicking all sorts of spectacular ass in a very non-grounded way. People want and expect the same or more with the most powerful earthbound superhero around.

And yes, the technology is finally there enough to display what it means to be THE Superman, so not showing the full monty would be yet another wasted opportunity.

And it's Zack Snyder FCS!

I expect what's to be expected. :up:

Flying without obvious propulsion is nutty now? God I've heard everything. They'll let Marvel characters and Batman get away with ANYTHING but Superman gets to be scrutinized for every single aspect.

I personally didn't like how they toned down Marvel characters, 'cause didn't make any sense. At the beginning, Thor fought almost equal to Ironman, then he could easily beat Hulk, and kept himself really well against the alien invasion. In 'Thor' he was beating badly with Sif and the other against the Destroyer. The power-level vary too much.

Same with Hulk. But I can understand that Hulk boost his power while fighting, becoming more powerfull the angrier he gets.

Captain America was an excellent acrobat and could beat the crap out of the Hydras, in their own base and with desintegrating guns. In 'The Avengers' he was pretty much a lame version of his CA:TFA version. Got shot, blown up...

Batman gets pretty much the same treatment. He got punched, shot, biten, flamed and in TDKR, he will be broken. He is ****ed up, mentally and phisically. Batman cannot do everything, cannot beat anyone. He just can rely in his planning, his tactics and his brutality. There is no way Batman can beat Darkseid (an example that was made earlier on this thread), but can threat him to blown up half Apokalips with Radion bombs if he doesn't surrender.

Ah, double standards. :)

Not at all! I really like the earlier versions of each Superhero, 'cause with the years passing and the writing of the characters became more challenging, they made really crappy choices; overpowering them. To make them kid-friendly, almost childish and cartoonish with the beginning of the Silver-Age of the comics and the rebirth of the Superheroes.

Yeah they do tone them down alot, I bet Superman fans would have a fit if he was toned down as much as Thor or Hulk.

(Y)

I really don't understand people's misconception of this character.

Had a row last night with a friend who hates Superman. He just kept saying that it's like he thinks he's above everyone else because he's so all powerful and never wrong.

But I think that's the issue, and points to why Superman's power is critisized.

There are several incarnations of Superman. You are not wrong for wanting an overpowered Superman, and I think it would be more interesting the earlier approach of the character. Simple as that.

Other characters, who have just as much power, are not hated for it because nobody sees them as being 'above' anyone in the same way people percieve Superman.

Personally I don't believe that. I loved the toned down Martian Manhunter, the JLA:NF version of the Flash, GL and Batman. (now that i think about it, I loved the powerlevel of all superheroes in that movie). I understand (as was implied in Kingdom Come) that the older the characters get, they change. Batman gets older and weaker, so he must rely on technology and tactics more than ever. Superman becomes more powerfull cause he gets more years affected by the yellow sun radiation. GL gets more used to the ring and capable of creating more complex constructs (the emerald city and the emerald armor).

I think the more you can make an audience see that he doesn't see himself as above anything, and he's not some arrogant god imposing his morals on our world, the less it will matter how powerful he is.

It's not about Superman being a *****e. He could never be. He is everything we want to be, the Man of Tomorrow.

With regards to the scale of Superman's powers, I've already stated that I prefer a more powerful Superman to a less powerful one. There's a certain suspension of disbelief when you're watching films like this, and I think when Superman is involved - the biggest and strongest of them all - you have to take that disbelief just a little farther and allow yourself to enjoy what you're seeing onscreen, even if it's not wholly realistic.

I believe you can enjoy Supes even a lil' depowered.

He can fly. He can shoot fire from his eyes. He can move so fast that we appear motionless around him. He can freeze things with his breath. He can lift hundreds, maybe thousands of tons, and withstand pressures which would crush any human.

So if he can do all this, and Snyder has the opportunity to really, really explore these powers on screen and impress us with Superman's abilities, why not do it properly?

He can, so he cannot. I don't see it as an achievement he could get. "MAKING SUPERMAN MEGA AWESOMELY SUPERPOWERED!" Unlocked. Making him look awesome and impressive is a matter of direction, story and pase.

One thing I would like to see though is some understanding of what it's actually like being Superman, and having to control these powers. TAS did it well when they had him say something along the lines of "I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard" when he finally let loose against Darkseid. By all means, make him very powerful, but also show us that he HAS to rein it in on a daily basis in order not to damage or hurt the people and surroundings around him.

That's something Snyder can show, without making he able of lifting an island by himself. The golden-age Superman could lift cars with ease, destroy walls like they were made of paper and withstand a meteor clashing with him. He couldn't thou lift an island or a skycrapper, but could hold it or balance it.

:up:

Of course Superman should be his good old self. Like you said, people expect it with a movie like this. Nobody wants to see a depowered fragile Superman, especially now with Avengers kicking all sorts of spectacular ass in a very non-grounded way. People want and expect the same or more with the most powerful earthbound superhero around.

And yes, the technology is finally there enough to display what it means to be THE Superman, so not showing the full monty would be yet another wasted opportunity.

And it's Zack Snyder FCS!

I expect what's to be expected. :up:

But in the end, The Avengers weren't really losing ground on the movie. Sooner than later, the bad guys will run out of Chitauri. They kicked a serious amount of ass, but didn't pose any real threat.

Flying without obvious propulsion is nutty now? God I've heard everything. They'll let Marvel characters and Batman get away with ANYTHING but Superman gets to be scrutinized for every single aspect.
Those were the interviewer’s (Geoff Boucher at Herocomplex) words. Cavill handled it… diplomatically. :cwink:

Those were the interviewer’s (Geoff Boucher at Herocomplex) words. Cavill handled it… diplomatically. :cwink:

He should have just said Superman is an alien and left it at that.

I personally didn't like how they toned down Marvel characters, 'cause didn't make any sense. At the beginning, Thor fought almost equal to Ironman, then he could easily beat Hulk, and kept himself really well against the alien invasion. In 'Thor' he was beating badly with Sif and the other against the Destroyer. The power-level vary too much.

You're leaving out HUGE details my friend, Iron Man was boosted to 475% his normal levels when he fought Thor. Thor was also in "mortal" when he was gettin trashed by the Destroyer which means he was no more powerful than me or you.

His "fully powered" power levels didn't very at all, you're ignoring some pretty important details.

There are several incarnations of Superman. You are not wrong for wanting an overpowered Superman, and I think it would be more interesting the earlier approach of the character. Simple as that.

Personally I don't believe that. I loved the toned down Martian Manhunter, the JLA:NF version of the Flash, GL and Batman. (now that i think about it, I loved the powerlevel of all superheroes in that movie). I understand (as was implied in Kingdom Come) that the older the characters get, they change. Batman gets older and weaker, so he must rely on technology and tactics more than ever. Superman becomes more powerfull cause he gets more years affected by the yellow sun radiation. GL gets more used to the ring and capable of creating more complex constructs (the emerald city and the emerald armor).

It's not about Superman being a *****e. He could never be. He is everything we want to be, the Man of Tomorrow.

I think you missed the point of my post :huh:

I wasn't saying anything about the power level that I prefer (and personally I at least want him to make an 'oomf' noise a few times when fighting with Zod, and maybe even bleed, so I dunno what power level that puts him at... beyond that I don't care).

I was just commenting on the GA who have this negative opinion on him because of him being 'too powerful', when compared to other characters who are just as powerful.

And that I think the only difference is that the other characters aren't seen as 'god' like. That's how some people feel about Superman, and it puts them off because it makes him seem above everyone else.

I was just commenting on the GA who have this negative opinion [of Superman]because of him being 'too powerful', when compared to other characters who are just as powerful.

And that I think the only difference is that the other characters aren't seen as 'god' like. That's how some people feel about Superman, and it puts them off because it makes him seem above everyone else.
When it’s Superman against his main villain, there seems to be a genuine challenge and the issue of his power level being too high doesn’t really come up. The problem, I think, is the background, “generic rescues.” Supes foils a robbery, Supes puts out a forest fire. Etc., etc. With some justification, these are depicted as well within his capabilities - all in a day’s work for the Man of Steel. But after a few of these, we get the point. Supes will save everyone and there’s little that really tasks him. Perhaps the solution is to inject some tragedy or dilemma into at least some these “generic rescues.” Maybe most of the victims are saved - but there are some casualties.

But if it’s a happy outcome and cheering bystanders every single time - that’s when the snooze factor and charges of being “too powerful” creep in.

Captain America was an excellent acrobat and could beat the crap out of the Hydras, in their own base and with desintegrating guns. In 'The Avengers' he was pretty much a lame version of his CA:TFA version. Got shot, blown up...
Oh come on, in "Avengers" Cap was fighting aliens & a Norse god, that's a completely different ball game from fighting human thugs, even human thugs armed with death rays. You might as well complain about the end of "Predator" where Arnold Schwarzenegger was getting smacked around by the 7-foot tall 300 lbs super-strong alien monster.

Plus Cap did way more acrobatics in The Avengers than TFA, and he was kicking aliens asses.

When it’s Superman against his main villain, there seems to be a genuine challenge and the issue of his power level being too high doesn’t really come up. The problem, I think, is the background, “generic rescues.” Supes foils a robbery, Supes puts out a forest fire. Etc., etc. With some justification, these are depicted as well within his capabilities - all in a day’s work for the Man of Steel. But after a few of these, we get the point. Supes will save everyone and there’s little that really tasks him. Perhaps the solution is to inject some tragedy or dilemma into at least some these “generic rescues.” Maybe most of the victims are saved - but there are some casualties.

But if it’s a happy outcome and cheering bystanders every single time - that’s when the snooze factor and charges of being “too powerful” creep in.

I agree, but I don't think that's an issue of how powerful he is, but just how they handle the storytelling.

I mean Lois and Clark had a few points about the fact he can't be everywhere at once. That he can be busy catching a falling plane in paris when a mudslide happens in brazil and an entire village can die.

And there are plenty of other ways they can show he couldn't save everyone.

He's not omnipotent. He doesn't know when a bomb is going off for example, so he can stop it before hand. He can only help the survivors when it does.

I mean, they could even do that with the oil rig scene. Have some men caught in the initial explosion, and have the others all sure they were going to die too until this man appears to rescue them.

And yeah, please no cheering and sighing and saying 'what a guy'. It's just cheesy. Have people be in shock and confused.

Oh come on, in "Avengers" Cap was fighting aliens & a Norse god, that's a completely different ball game from fighting human thugs, even human thugs armed with death rays. You might as well complain about the end of "Predator" where Arnold Schwarzenegger was getting smacked around by the 7-foot tall 300 lbs super-strong alien monster.

People expect to see the "plot device" Cap from the comics who's able to take on beings like Thanos no matter how stupid it is.

People don't get why Superman is so powerful because they've spent their entire lives being told a comic is only good if it is written the 'Marvel way' (and in some cases, the Alan Moore way, but I won't talk about that right now).

One of the reasons Marvel Comics made such an impact was not just that the heroes were relatable. It was the way the stories were written. Stan Lee has even said so in the past; he wasn't writing comic stories, he was writing a soap opera. It was all one big continuing story, with each event leading into the next. Characters would weave in and out of each other's lives, the world they lived in would change, the characters aged and their struggles were more personal and grounded.

Superman doesn't work that way.

Superman is more of a mythical character, like Hercules and Odysseus. He is a character that works in the context of each individual adventure. There is no ongoing narrative. Each story he is in has a beginning, middle and end. His life develops between stories. The Superman character is a collection of fables and short stories, not a soap opera. That's how he can get away with being so powerful. When you only have to consider how his powers work for one particular story, instead of an ongoing narrative, it becomes much easier.

The mistake people made was assuming that the Marvel way was the only way. It is not, and Superman's existence and popularity for the 20 years before Marvel existed proved that. But they made that mistake anyway and all of a sudden every DC hero was written as if they were a Marvel character. It worked for some (The Flash) but not others. Especially not Superman.

Have you ever noticed that all of Superman's 'best' stories all stand alone? All Star Superman. Red Son. Birthright. Kingdom Come. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? For the Man Who Has Everything.

Even his 'best' in-continuity stories stand-alone, fixating on specific events. John Byrne's Man of Steel. Death of Superman / Return of Superman. Action Comics 775.

This is a huge contrast to how Marvel's stories are praised. "Lee and Kirby's run on Fantastic Four." "Chris Claremont's run on X-Men." "Buseik and Perez on The Avengers."

Superman has no such universally-acclaimed 'run'. Instead, people say 'the stories of Grant Morrison', 'the stories of Elliot S! Maggin' or 'the stories of Alan Moore'.

Superman doesn't work in the Marvel way of storytelling. And he doesn't need to, because he was doing great way before Marvel came along. They forgot that in 1986 when John Byrne started writing him, and he's been considered 'boring' ever since.

People expect to see the "plot device" Cap from the comics who's able to take on beings like Thanos no matter how stupid it is.

I blame "prep time Batman" for popularizing that kind of plot device.

I agree with you JAK. But... how can this be approached having in mind that the ultimate idea is doing a JL movie?

Can go either way... or you overpower everyone or you tone down every single hero...

If they make a JL movie Supes is going to be toned down in the same way Thor and Hulk were toned down a bit in TA.

I'd rather they just focused on doing a great trilogy if that's what they're eyeing.

A coherent trilogy and not just three standalone movies like Spider-man.

I really don't understand people's misconception of this character.

Had a row last night with a friend who hates Superman. He just kept saying that it's like he thinks he's above everyone else because he's so all powerful and never wrong.

But I think that's the issue, and points to why Superman's power is critisized.

Other characters, who have just as much power, are not hated for it because nobody sees them as being 'above' anyone in the same way people percieve Superman.

I think the more you can make an audience see that he doesn't see himself as above anything, and he's not some arrogant god imposing his morals on our world, the less it will matter how powerful he is.

What has your friend read or seen that gave the impression that Superman felt he was above others due to his powers?

I hate the ice breath. Thats the most ridiculous power Superman has. I figure if he can breathe ice, he can breathe fire. Though, the ability is rather pointless. He should have a more alien-like ability other than that. Camouflage would be better.

What has your friend read or seen that gave the impression that Superman felt he was above others due to his powers?

Honestly, not a lot.

He's seen the old movies and SR, and read Frank Miller's The Dark Knight :rolleyes:

And I guess I can see why from just that.

But Superman's almost beyond his own interpretations in the eyes of some people. They have their own 'idea' of him, and they stick to it.

No matter how much I try to protest.

Honestly, not a lot.

He's seen the old movies and SR, and read Frank Miller's The Dark Knight :rolleyes:

And I guess I can see why from just that.

But Superman's almost beyond his own interpretations in the eyes of some people. They have their own 'idea' of him, and they stick to it.

No matter how much I try to protest.

I see. Even with those I think you'd have to work hard to get that view of him. I agree that it seems most of the people who hate him hate the version of the character they've created in their minds or from what little exposure they've had.

I do have hope given how well Captain America has been received as a character beyond what he can or can't do when it comes to powers, that the same can happen with Superman.

I see. Even with those I think you'd have to work hard to get that view of him. I agree that it seems most of the people who hate him hate the version of the character they've created in their minds or from what little exposure they've had.

I do have hope given how well Captain America has been received as a character beyond what he can or can't do when it comes to powers, that the same can happen with Superman.

I think it's lines like these that maybe don't help:

'You say the world doesn't need a hero, but everyday I hear people crying out for one' - SR

'They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way.' - STM

I think stuff like that makes people think he's thinks of himself as our savior.

Especially because he is so powerful and 'alien' in those interpretations, and at times quite literally looking down on the life of humans like it's something foreign too him.

They should never do the 'Clark Kent is real, Superman is a disguise' thing, but I'm definitely looking forward to a movie adaption where his life is a human one, past and present.

And I think that'll help in grounding him so he doesn't seem so godlike, without actually depowering him.

Awesome thought

I think you missed the point of my post :huh:

I wasn't saying anything about the power level that I prefer (and personally I at least want him to make an 'oomf' noise a few times when fighting with Zod, and maybe even bleed, so I dunno what power level that puts him at... beyond that I don't care).

I was just commenting on the GA who have this negative opinion on him because of him being 'too powerful', when compared to other characters who are just as powerful.

Personally, I hate overpowered characters. In general, I think you might have a point there, having in mind what "Dr." said.

You're leaving out HUGE details my friend, Iron Man was boosted to 475% his normal levels when he fought Thor. Thor was also in "mortal" when he was gettin trashed by the Destroyer which means he was no more powerful than me or you.

His "fully powered" power levels didn't very at all, you're ignoring some pretty important details.

That "400%" boost was for comedic effect clearly. The whole universe per se isn't really serious and gritty at all, but at some point the power level variation doesn't make sense.

And then, the newly powered Thor hold against the Destroyer with some difficulty.

Black Widow and Hawkeye could fight against them, even without a single scratch. Captain America with a Indestructible shield recieve a piercing shot in the stomach. That in CATFA would mean an instant death. The only thing a say is, if Black Widow could kill so many Chitauri without much effort, why a super soldier couldn't? It's obvious a matter of dramatic effect, but nevertheless...

Plus Cap did way more acrobatics in The Avengers than TFA, and he was kicking aliens asses.

Maybe, but idk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"