• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can I hope for 11+ Peter Parker solo films without a reboot?

MasterCat

Civilian
Reaction score
The problem with Spider-Man films in the past has been that the studio gets antsy and packs them with too many villains. Of course Spider-Man has a deep rogues' gallery matched only by Batman, so if you don't pack them in, it would take more than 10 films to go through the important ones. Dare I hope for this many Spider-Man films without a reboot?

Homecoming: Vulture
Far From Home: Mysterio
"Graduation": Scorpion, Green Goblin?
College #1: Kraven in Act 1, then Sinister Six?
College #2 & 3: Doc Ock & Prof. Connors the Lizard (could be reversed)
Spider-Man Home Buyer: Sandman
Movie #8: Electro
Movies #9 & 10: Hobgoblin & Venom (could be reversed)
Kraven's Last Hunt: Kraven sics fellow Russian the Rhino on Spider-Man. After Spider-Man defeats him with another superhero's help, Kraven "kills" Spider-Man, then impersonates him to kill the escaped Rhino.

How should Peter's love life go in a long series? Homecoming had a version of Liz Allen and teased Michelle Jones. Far From Home is rumored to include Gwen Stacy as a European.
Should Michelle be the love interest in the "Graduation" movie and they split up at the end? Should Gwen move into a dorm at Empire State University when Peter enrolls? If so, what should happen to her? When should he meet and date Mary Jane?
I think Peter & Mary Jane should get married once they've gone through the Ditko villains and before the Hobgoblin & Venom are introduced, just because these villains date from that period of comics.
Thoughts?

11 I think you may be being a bit ambitious lol but I see no reason why Holland won't play Parker for quite a few more movies at least he seems to love the role and still looks really young.

11 I think you may be being a bit ambitious lol but I see no reason why Holland won't play Parker for quite a few more movies at least he seems to love the role and still looks really young.

^What he said.

The problem with Spider-Man films in the past has been that the studio gets antsy and packs them with too many villains.

Also the studio and/or parts of the audience feels the character grows too old and the stories become too dark and mature.

Homecoming: Vulture
Far From Home: Mysterio
"Graduation": Scorpion, Green Goblin?
College #1: Kraven in Act 1, then Sinister Six?
College #2 & 3: Doc Ock & Prof. Connors the Lizard (could be reversed)
Spider-Man Home Buyer: Sandman
Movie #8: Electro
Movies #9 & 10: Hobgoblin & Venom (could be reversed)
Kraven's Last Hunt: Kraven sics fellow Russian the Rhino on Spider-Man. After Spider-Man defeats him with another superhero's help, Kraven "kills" Spider-Man, then impersonates him to kill the escaped Rhino.

Not sure Sandman or Electro would work on their own or Scorpion even as one of two villains, otherwise good selections and order. Kraven or Green Goblin in 3 and Dr. Octopus in a first college film would be a good way to show the series isn't over.

How should Peter's love life go in a long series?Thoughts?

Probably Gwen just breaking up or not getting close to him (the filmmakers not wanting to do another death) and either Michelle increasing in prominence again or Mary Jane being introduced in college films and shown as the one. Venom or Hobgoblin plus a marriage would be a fine way to conclude a second trilogy.
Edit: Kraven's Last Hunt would widely be considered too dark.

Last edited:
You can HOPE for 11 movies. But you will never GET 11 movies.

Also the studio and/or parts of the audience feels the character grows too old and the stories become too dark and mature.

What makes the character too old? Graduating college? An aging actor? Because they could always solve the latter by recasting.

Not sure Sandman or Electro would work on their own or Scorpion even as one of two villains, otherwise good selections and order. Kraven or Green Goblin in 3 and Dr. Octopus in a first college film would be a good way to show the series isn't over.

:huh:
What wouldn't work about the Scorpion if he gets his armor from the Green Goblin? That seems like plenty for a feature film.
How should they do Sandman and Electro? Sony already messed them up once with a Sandman/Harry/Venom film and an Electro/Harry/Rhino film. It would be sad to see Spider-Man rebooted without using those Ditko villains.

Probably Gwen just breaking up or not getting close to him (the filmmakers not wanting to do another death) and either Michelle increasing in prominence again or Mary Jane being introduced in college films and shown as the one. Venom or Hobgoblin plus a marriage would be a fine way to conclude a second trilogy.

Don't you mean third trilogy? A second would already be packed with a Doc Ock film, a Lizard film and the Sinister Six.
Gwen never getting close to Peter would be the biggest waste. I really hope Marvel Studios doesn't let ASM2 dictate what comics stories they can't do. :csad:

You can HOPE for 11 movies. But you will never GET 11 movies.

What factors make it impossible for a series to have 11 films without a reboot? James Bond did 20. Is it the Sony/Disney contract that requires the Spider-Man actor to make a team-up film for Disney for each Sony solo film?

What factors make it impossible for a series to have 11 films without a reboot? James Bond did 20. Is it the Sony/Disney contract that requires the Spider-Man actor to make a team-up film for Disney for each Sony solo film?

Film doesn't work that way now, and with Bond, the continuity for those 20 films was very fast and loose. They didn't build upon each other from Dr. No until Die Another Day. They just had a guy named James Bond and didn't tie themselves together too strongly as to avoid the age issue. But that type of stuff doesn't happen anymore. Spider-Man will eventually be rebooted.

Film doesn't work that way now, and with Bond, the continuity for those 20 films was very fast and loose. They didn't build upon each other from Dr. No until Die Another Day. They just had a guy named James Bond and didn't tie themselves together too strongly as to avoid the age issue.

Correct. But why couldn't Peter Parker be ageless after he graduates college by recasting Tom Holland with a young-looking actor of 29 when Holland gets too old? Is it Mary Jane? I guess I'd rather have Gwen Stacy as his college girlfriend followed by a Mary Jane trilogy that builds to marriage and a baby than 20 films where he hops from bed to bed, LOL.

But that type of stuff doesn't happen anymore. Spider-Man will eventually be rebooted.

So sad. It's a big waste to not let all the Ditko villains, Hobgoblin and Symbiotes exist in the same universe. :csad:

You may get 11+ Peter Parker solo films in the future, but they will probably not all with Tom Holland...so no. Like Spider-Fan said, at some point down the line, as was the case with Maguire and Garfield, someone will step into the role of Peter Parker after Tom Holland.

What makes the character too old? Graduating college? An aging actor? Because they could always solve the latter by recasting.

Yes Maguire and Garfield were pretty slammed for looking too old at least compared to how young the character was supposed to be and the idea of keeping them while aging the character a little more to how not-that-old they actually are was even more bashed. Plus Spider-Man in MCU was presented as the character younger than all the other heroes and he could evolve from that but too much would be risky. I don't think the audience has or will have as much affection for the character as they did for Harry Potter and even if they did that would just last to his graduation from college.

What wouldn't work about the Scorpion if he gets his armor from the Green Goblin? That seems like plenty for a feature film.
How should they do Sandman and Electro? Sony already messed them up once with a Sandman/Harry/Venom film and an Electro/Harry/Rhino film.

To me they don't really seem to have enough depth, interest, strong stories to draw from (and maybe not even pose enough of an interesting physical threat) for a two-hour movie, more suited for a half-hour show or at most two or three shows. Plus Sandman and even Electro were already done OK from a visual effects perspective, effects haven't improved that much that they could be done much better.

Don't you mean third trilogy? A second would already be packed with a Doc Ock film, a Lizard film and the Sinister Six.

The first two ideas are good but you agreed that packing in too many villains would be a mistake and the studio could be cautious even with some characters introduced earlier. And lesser threats in a 7 and 8 would be anticlimactic after Dr. Octopus and Lizard or Sinister Six, only Kraven, Hobgoblin or Venom would seem climactic.

I really hope Marvel Studios doesn't let ASM2 dictate what comics stories they can't do. :csad:

Unfortunately, they probably can't avoid that a grim ending was part of its failure and that MCU has generally done well light and pretty all-accessible.

Last edited:
To me they don't really seem to have enough depth, interest, strong stories to draw from (and maybe not even pose enough of an interesting physical threat) for a two-hour movie, more suited for a half-hour show or at most two or three shows. Plus Sandman and even Electro were already done OK from a visual effects perspective, effects haven't improved that much that they could be done much better.

The first two ideas are good but you agreed that packing in too many villains would be a mistake and the studio could be cautious even with some characters introduced earlier. And lesser threats in a 7 and 8 would be anticlimactic after Dr. Octopus and Lizard or Sinister Six, only Kraven, Hobgoblin or Venom would seem climactic.

Unfortunately, they probably can't avoid that a grim ending was part of its failure and that MCU has generally done well light and pretty all-accessible.

Sandman and Electro could be done much better as characters, though. It's also hard to figure out how they could make Gwen Peter's college girlfriend without either killing her at the end of the college arc or losing out on Mary Jane. In the comics he was ready to propose to her when Norman fatally kidnapped her.

OK... so let's say the high school trilogy ends with the Scorpion getting his armor from Oscorp and Peter fighting both him and the Green Goblin. There's a Peter/Ned/Betty Brant love triangle and Ned wins Betty.
Start college trilogy in 2023 with Kraven as the Act 1 villain, then Norman organizes a Sinister Six with them, Scorpion, Mysterio, the Vulture and a Shocker. Focus on Gwen and Harry as supporting characters.
Now, Doc Ock and Doctor Connors/Lizard. Could the relationship between college student Peter and these men sustain a film each after the Sinister Six? Have Spider-Man be dating Mary Jane in the Lizard's movie and faithful to Gwen in Doc Ock's to mix things up.
So Spider-Man 7 circa 2030... Sinister Seven to escalate again? Say we see Sandman's origin and a fight with Spider-Man in Act 1, then Doc Ock organizes an S6 with him, the Scorpion, Mysterio, Kraven and a forced Lizard. Then the Green Goblin muscles in. Write Gwen out by this time. Tom Holland would be ~33 during filming.
Spider-Man 8: the recast Peter Parker is dating Mary Jane. He works as either a photographer or teacher. Do the Symbiote suit and Venom. This is the earliest I'd want the Peter/Mary Jane/Black Cat love triangle.
Spider Man: Home and Family. Ned Leeds (recast) is in Peter's wedding party, and maybe Harry Osborn too. There's a fashion designer named Roderick Kingsley. Hobgoblin is the villain.

Well, too much to hope for?

Last edited:
I'm hoping that all non MCU Spider-Man movies flop and flop hard so Sony continue their partnership with Marvel. The second they feel they don't need Marvel they will pull out before you can say 'homecoming 3'.

Sony will always be operating without a safety net. They don't have the merch rights to one of the most valuable IP's in the world. They should never have given them up, but desperate times and all that.

So do we believe that Tom Holland will want to make 6-7 Spider-Man films? If so, and the second trilogy is done by Marvel Studios rather than Sony's film studio, where do you think they'll use the contractual guest appearances? Two of them have to be Avengers 5 and Secret Wars, I think.

@OP

My thinking on this topic is similar to you. Because I, like you, would like to see Holland and co doing this for several of Spidey's key villains and when I say "key" I mean the life changing ones. And we've yet to see any of them, really. Vulture, Shocker, Mysterio. Now, if we see Gobby, Ock and the S6, Venom, I feel like that's already 5 or 6 movies ontop of his Avengers appearances and various cameos.

Hell, he was 20 in 2016, he'll be 24 once his second film is done. He's gonna be 30 after two more. If we get more than 4 solo films with Holland I'll be stoked. 6 and I'll die happy. More than that I doubt entirely.

That being said, here's an out. Say we get something like the following:

1. Spider-Man: Homecoming (Vulture, Shocker, Tinkerer)
2. Spider-Man: Far From Home (Mysterio, Chameleon, Scorpion, intro gwen)
3. Spider-Man: Homeostasis (Kraven, Black Cat, Doc Ock cameo)
4. Spider-Man: Sinister Six (Doc Ock first act, captain stacy ded, S6 second act)
5. Spider-Man: Goblins (Green Goblin mayhem, intro eddie brock, gwen ded)
6. Spider-Man: Symbiosis (Venom and Carnage)
7. Spider-Man: Legacy (Holland passes the metaphorical torch to Miles Morales because Peter can't bring himself to fight Ned, he leaves to protect MJ and "continues to operate behind the scenes" and ensuing Hobgoblin mayhem)
8. Spider-Man: Insert Title here (Miles Morales inherits any number of Peter's villains that have weak ties to him Personally. Including but not limited to:
9. Spider-Man: Insert Title here 2 (Rhino, Electro, Sandman, Beetle, Silver Sable, Smythe)
10. Spider-Man: Insert Title here 3 (Perhaps Miles even inherits Kingpin/Big Man/Tombstone and takes that load off peter as well)
11. Spider-Man: Insert Title here 4

That's the best I got for you dude. I highly doubt we'll see even 9 films with Holland (in addition to his Avengers appearances or even including them).

But 18 films split between the two Spideys? That's just plain genius-level studio-ing right there. And then it'll be the year 2040. And I'll be too old to remember Homecoming. And too spoiled to watch anything other than 3D VR.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that all non MCU Spider-Man movies flop and flop hard so Sony continue their partnership with Marvel. The second they feel they don't need Marvel they will pull out before you can say 'homecoming 3'.

Well, that's not petty, is it? How dare there be a Marvel property put out by a company that's not in the MCU. Blasphemy!

I mean, hey, Sony does have access to the characters. Why not do something with them? I mean, if their universe does well, what's the problem? All the more reason for them to keep on going.

Sony will always be operating without a safety net. They don't have the merch rights to one of the most valuable IP's in the world. They should never have given them up, but desperate times and all that.

Was it ever with Sony though? My understanding was that when Marvel made all these deals with movie studios, it was always about using the character and "their ensemble" in movies and TV. I thought Marvel always retained the merch rights?

On topic, I would like to say there will be 11 films of the Tom Holland Spiderman possibly, but all solo films, I am not sure. And I don't know if recasting will work unless there is some kind of time jump involved.

On topic, I would like to say there will be 11 films of the Tom Holland Spiderman possibly, but all solo films, I am not sure. And I don't know if recasting will work unless there is some kind of time jump involved.

It scares me when people speak against recasting. I don't want Spider-Man to get his villains stolen by Miles. I want to see Peter Parker fight all his villains and deal with a full love life just like in the comics and cartoons, and that will need a James Bond policy where you release the next film after two years whether it's the same actor or new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"