Days of Future Past Can someone tell me without spoilers if this fixes continuity issues from First Class

Miken Ayers

Civilian
Reaction score
Singer addressed this a couple times, but we know how that sort of thing usually turns out.

Depends on which continuity issues you mean exactly.

If you're talking about things like X1 saying Xavier and Magneto met at 17 years old or X2 saying Magneto built Cerebro, then no, neither of those are addressed in DOFP.

This film is tasked with three Herculean burdens

1) Create a sequel for X-Men First Class
2) Create a sequel for the primary X-Men films
3) Unite the continuity between these loosely related films.

Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg pull off all three of those objectives with what appears to be relative ease. Multiple loose plot points are reconciled, some things are simply wiped away and some things are flat out retconned by way of time travel. While it may bother you to see some things undone, you can't really help but feel that this film tidies up everything and puts the franchise back on track. You'll forget about the fact that it has been eight years since the last sequel to the primary films, and eight years since Bryan Singer helmed this franchise. This doesn't mean that the film is without flaw. Some continuity errors are still present, but largely because they are minor issues. Major plot issues have been resolved.

Last edited:
Or that Magneto built his helmet because he knew how to do it based on Charles and Eric building Cerebro.

But at the end of this film there are in a different timeline than what happened in X1 and X2. So some of the events clearly happened, they just didn't necessarily happen the same way you saw them in X1 and X3. The one that is really scrubbed is X3.

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm curious how they will address the re-written timeline moving forward.

Obviously somethings are already shown to have changed, from what I gather, specifically pertaining to X3, and somethings probably happened in similar ways to what we saw in X-Men and X2.

I'm wondering if they will treat the re-written timeline as a blank slate to re-write as it suites the story needs moving forward? Or focus on only the big changes they establish at the end of DOFP, and let people assume the rest more or less played out as we saw?
Or will they use it as an opportunity to take another stab at some of those times?

I can think of at least ONE specific storyline that I could see Singer and co really wanting to re-tackle, that was previously "done" in X3.
At least one which would warrant another stab without feeling like we've seen it before.
The question will be from which timeline though, as they could re-approach a lot of stories coming from the FC timeline/cast that were previously done from the orig cast.

We don't need to see Wolverine meet the X-Men for the first time again.
Though I'd LOVE to see the Weapon X story done justice as well.

My biggest hang up is the two Moira McTaggert's. Is that fixed?

My biggest hang up is the two Moira McTaggert's. Is that fixed?

It's not specifically addressed in anyway, so it would be speculation on my part whether it was or it wasn't.

If it helps any, the implications are that the events in X3 never happened.

It's not specifically addressed in anyway, so it would be speculation on my part whether it was or it wasn't.

If it helps any, the implications are that the events in X3 never happened.

Not entirely true. It just indicates that Rogue isn't cured, Scott isn't dead, nor is Jean. Likely meaning X3 Dark Phoenix didn't happen, but the cure could have happened. But, in this world, Charles's guidance in those events may have convinced Rogue not to take the cure. So, X3 is heavily retconned, for sure. But, nothing says no part of X3 happened. Particularly since Beast is Kelsey Grammar in the future scene.

Last edited:
They also showed a flashback
to Wolverine killing Jean in X-3 when Xavier is sifting through his memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not entirely true. It just indicates that
Rogue isn't cured, Scott isn't dead, nor is Jean. Likely meaning X3 Dark Phoenix didn't happen, but the cure could have happened. But, in this world, Charles's guidance in those events may have convinced Rogue not to take the cure. So, X3 is heavily retconned, for sure. But, nothing says no part of X3 happened. Particularly since Beast is Kelsey Grammar in the future scene.

Jesus ****ing christ guys! ****ing spoilers! The thread said right in the question in the title, can you tell WITHOUT SPOILERS!
(I added spoiler tags to the quoted posts so as to not add to ruining it for others)

Yes, this is the spoilers section, but when someone asks a question, and specifically asks for an answer without spoilers, you don't turn around and post huge spoilers right up front.
Seriously, that's just a dick move, and deserves a huge kick in junk.

Now if you claim you missed that part, aside from the fact that it is, again, right in the thread title, it's still common freaking courtesy to, at the very least use spoiler tags, or give warning.

I don't see how that applies? That happened in the middle of the movie before the present timeline in China was altered to what we saw at the end.

Or that Magneto built his helmet because he knew how to do it based on Charles and Eric building Cerebro.

But at the end of this film there are in a different timeline than what happened in X1 and X2. So some of the events clearly happened, they just didn't necessarily happen the same way you saw them in X1 and X3. The one that is really scrubbed is X3.

Agreed. I see X1 and X2 happening almost the same as they did and X3 not having the Jean element but still something with Magneto going agains the cure

I don't see how that applies? That happened in the middle of the movie before the present timeline in China was altered to what we saw at the end.

I meant they were acknowledging that the events of X-3 happened, just the new timeline rewrote the past. Like it did with the sentinels.

If they showed a flashback scene from X3, its pretty obvious they didn't ignore X3's existence. Plus, they kept the actors who played Kitty and older Beast in X3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"