Cannot open iTunes

Raiden

Wakanda Forever
Reaction score
I discovered recently that I cannot open the iTunes program, not matter what. I tried Google for a solution, which instructed me to use the Cmd to try to repair any corrupted or broken programs on my computer, but the solution did not work. Should I try deleting the program and reinstall it? And would that get rid of all my songs in the iTunes?

What happens when you try to open it? Any alerts pop up or nothing?

Uninstall iTunes (Start Menu > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall A Program). This shouldn't delete any music from your computer, they should be located in your My Music folder (or wherever you opened them in iTunes from).

After that, download and install CCleaner. On the left, click Registry and then Scan for Issues at the bottom. Once done, click Fix Selected Issues and then Fix All Issues. You don't need to backup your registry but you can if you want.

Restart your computer, reinstall iTunes, then see what happens. Let me know if it works.

What happens when you try to open it? Any alerts pop up or nothing?

Uninstall iTunes (Start Menu > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall A Program). This shouldn't delete any music from your computer, they should be located in your My Music folder (or wherever you opened them in iTunes from).

After that, download and install CCleaner. On the left, click Registry and then Scan for Issues at the bottom. Once done, click Fix Selected Issues and then Fix All Issues. You don't need to backup your registry but you can if you want.

Restart your computer, reinstall iTunes, then see what happens. Let me know if it works.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Sigh, I just tested it out and even after reinstalling iTunes, I still can't open the program. :csad: I'm not sure what else I can do.

I wonder if it's running the background and just not launching? Try this....

1) Hit the Ctrl, Shift and ESC buttons and that will bring up the Task Manager.
2) Click on the Processes Tab and click on "Image Name" and that will sort in Alphabetical Order.
3) Now look for iTunes.exe. If you do see it, click on it and then go down to the bottom of that box and click the "End Process" button.
4) Finally go to your programs and launch the program.

Hopefully this is all it is and resolves your problem.

Ive been having the same problem for about a year now too. Uninstalling, reinstalling, even the CMD and task manager doesn't do anything, it's like the program isn't even there anymore.

My solution: get another spare comp to run iTunes on

I wonder if it's running the background and just not launching? Try this....

1) Hit the Ctrl, Shift and ESC buttons and that will bring up the Task Manager.
2) Click on the Processes Tab and click on "Image Name" and that will sort in Alphabetical Order.
3) Now look for iTunes.exe. If you do see it, click on it and then go down to the bottom of that box and click the "End Process" button.
4) Finally go to your programs and launch the program.

Hopefully this is all it is and resolves your problem.

Well, I opened up the Task Manager, and see what happens when I click on iTunes.exe. I can see iTunes briefly shown up on the Task Manager, and then it goes away unexplained. I'm not sure why that is, and iTunes still doesn't work for me.

Well, I opened up the Task Manager, and see what happens when I click on iTunes.exe. I can see iTunes briefly shown up on the Task Manager, and then it goes away unexplained. I'm not sure why that is, and iTunes still doesn't work for me.
Are you on Windows 7 by chance? If so, Apple has a support article on this issue. Go to this link and try.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2363

If you have Windows XP, then here's the same thing as above, but for XP....

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1776

Did you just upgrade recently? If the above doesn't work, then go to the link below and download an earlier version of iTunes. Uninstall your current iTunes program and install the earlier version.

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

Edit: Something else I just thought of. Make sure that Windows is completely up to date. There may be some sort of driver incompatibility somewhere.

Last edited:
I have Windows 7, but unfortunately the steps outlined in the line above still doesn't work. I do have many OS updates yet to be installed, so maybe I can try that first. Also, I remember that there was an update for Quicktme recently, and afterward iTunes started to have problems, so I think I'll uninstall QT and test it out.

Update: After I finished uninstalling QT, my iTunes finally launched! :yay: I guess the latest update probably interferred with the program or something. Thanks for all your help, KW!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"