Captain Metropolis

yes he will definitely be in the movie, although probable for just one scene, which is the crime busters meeting.

Well, if he's in the CrimeBusters scene, he'd have to be in some of the old Minutemen flashback scenes as well, right? He needs to be established as a member of the old generation before being shown trying to jumpstart the new one.

I also hope they show that snippet of a tv interview where he reacts to Dr. Manhattan's appearance. Something along the lines of "Um... that's, great. Yes of course we're happy", when you can tell he just pooped his pants with WTFness. I find it amusing.

I also hope they show that snippet of a tv interview where he reacts to Dr. Manhattan's appearance. Something along the lines of "Um... that's, great. Yes of course we're happy", when you can tell he just pooped his pants with WTFness. I find it amusing.

That would be cool.

Well, if he's in the CrimeBusters scene, he'd have to be in some of the old Minutemen flashback scenes as well, right? He needs to be established as a member of the old generation before being shown trying to jumpstart the new one.

I concur

Has there been any word on who will portray Captain Metropolis or, for that matter, Hooded Justice?

Who could play Captain Metropolis? When I think blond and square-jawed, the first actor that comes to mind is Aaron Eckhart. But he might be a little busy.

nyfest.jpg

Noah Emmerich (Little Children) I've heard a couple people mention his name and I think he would fit perfectly. Plus he's worked with Haley and Wilson on Little Children.

A little too old for the way they're handling the characters and the flashbacks.

These guys are over-qualified. Captain Metropolis is a very small part. Probably someone very unknown that you probably not recognise.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but Captain Metropolis won't be in the film. I was at Bristol UK Comic Expo last weekend and attending the Dave Gibbons panels, where he made a point of saying that Captain Metroplis isn't in that scene which he sat in on. Sorry chaps, that's one of the things they felt should have been cut for time reasons, if it helps a groan went up from the audience when he said it.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but Captain Metropolis won't be in the film. I was at Bristol UK Comic Expo last weekend and attending the Dave Gibbons panels, where he made a point of saying that Captain Metroplis isn't in that scene which he sat in on. Sorry chaps, that's one of the things they felt should have been cut for time reasons, if it helps a groan went up from the audience when he said it.
That sucks. :csad::cmad:

Just because he was cut from a scene does not mean he was cut out completely. I am sure he will, at least, be mentioned through the photo SS1 and KO1 have.

Just because he was cut from a scene does not mean he was cut out completely. I am sure he will, at least, be mentioned through the photo SS1 and KO1 have.

Even still, i'll miss his line "somebody has to save the world..."

That is the scene they're talking about, right? The meeting of the Crime-Busters?

Yeah, that was the one he sat in on. And I think he's not in the film full stop, as far as Gibbons is aware at least, cause when we all groaned, he didn't make any "don't worry, he'll be in other bits" statement. Does rather suck, I have to admit.

Plot-wise, I won't miss him too terribly. But he's the embodiment of a pretty symbolic archetype that, while hardly an essential thematic device, is a nice little jab at pop culture.

It would seem strange for the film makers to spend so much time and effort into making all of the details for the film, such as the time periods, perfect and then cut out a well known character.

It would seem strange for the film makers to spend so much time and effort into making all of the details for the film, such as the time periods, perfect and then cut out a well known character.

Exactly

I'm most curious about who'll stand in for him in certain scenes, like the Crime-Busters meeting. If it's not him who's getting everyone together, then who? Ozymandias?

I'm most curious about who'll stand in for him in certain scenes, like the Crime-Busters meeting. If it's not him who's getting everyone together, then who? Ozymandias?

That's the big question, I think. Hurm. If you're going to cut him, the only real option is to have one of the other major characters fill his spot, since to beef up a minor character or (god forbid) introduce a new one would defeat the purpose of streamlining the narrative, which I assume is the motivation behind cutting him. The thing is, Metropolis fills the slot so perfectly, so he's hard to replace: unless that scene undergoes some fairly major reworking, or is cut altogether, you need him.

Ozymandias is certainly a candidate. I can picture him setting up that neat little poster/flowchart that Comedian burns up, and coming to his how-to-save-the-world epiphany as his grand idea (that is, Metropolis's idea) gets shot down. This would also serve to the rivalry between Veidt and Blake, especially if the bits mentioning their waterfront fight get cut. It could work, although I'd prefer Captain Metropolis.

Nite-Owl I might work. Like Metropolis, he's a member of the previous generation. The only problem is that something as heavy-handed and idealistic as the Crime-Busters is probably out of character for Hollis Mason; recall that he got into crimefighting for the hell of it, not out of idealism.

There's also Nite-Owl II. Out of all the younger heroes, he looks up to the old generation the most, and it probably wouldn't be out of character for him to try to imitate the Minutemen by forming his own team. The problem is, getting humiliated by the Comedian wouldn't really mesh with his story arc the way it might for Ozy's (though they might change that bit as well).

Most radical idea: it could be Nixon, or more generically, "the government". (I seem to recall reading that the Nixon character would have a somewhat larger presence in the film.) The Crime-Busters could be a government initiative to ally with the superhero community, possibly to regulate/employ them as later becomes the case with Manhattan and the Comedian. Obviously it falls apart, and as part of the government backlash against heroes, the Keene Act gets passed. Also, from this incident, Ozymandias learns the necessity of working outside the system to achieve any real results. I could see something like this working, although it's definitely a real departure from the GN (which should be avoided as much as possible).

mmpicom0.jpg

We have our answer. Captain Metropolis is at the very least here in the movie. Now, let the speculation begin on who is playing him. Personally, I have no clue.

YES!!! i am so glad he is in the film, i cannot wait for this

Well done Zack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"