cast a movie based directly on the Bob Kane 1939 Batman

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by bdsproductions, May 8, 2006.

1. theMan-Bat Team Classic DC

The Riddler/Edward Nygma: Peter Lorre would have been perfect as the Riddler.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. The Chairman Pimps' Main Prophet

He'd be my pick for a 40s' era Lex Luthor...which has nothing to do with Batman. I could also see him as The Penguin, but that role belongs to Edward G. Robinson.

3. The Chairman Pimps' Main Prophet

Also, I'm changing my Alfred choice to Claude Rains.

[​IMG]

4. TheGrayGhost Registered

Those are horrible choices!:p

5. theMan-Bat Team Classic DC

Peter Lorre would have been perfect for the Riddler. He actually looked like the Riddler and he was very creepy. Edward G Robinson-Boss Zucco "I'm Boss of this town, see! I'm still Boss, see!"[​IMG]

The original Bill Finger/Bob Kane Penguin was not a gangster like Boss Zucco. He was a strange extremely fat and short guy with a big nose, etc. just like Maurice Gosfield.
    Penguin-Maurice Gosfield
    Lex Luthor-Lyle Talbot
    Brainiac-Yul Brynner
    [​IMG]

#30 theMan-Bat, May 11, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  6. theMan-Bat Team Classic DC

The one and only choice for Alfred in the Bill Finger/Bob Kane era is William Austin since Alfred in the comics IS William Austin. He was redone from the fat Alfred to look and act like William Austin.
    [​IMG]

7. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

He would have made the perfect Professor X.

8. The Chairman Pimps' Main Prophet

Agreed.

9. cryptic name No Limits

donald pleasance would be great. just think about it, joker escapes and some of the cops don't take it seriously, and he would say "this is not a man, don't you see? eeeevil has come to gotham. pure eeeevil."

10. StorminNorman Registered

Actually they are not - Batman 1989 is basically Bob Kane's Batman on the Silver Screen. A ruthless Batman not afraid to kill, over the top villians, a fat unimportant Gordan - its all dates back to Bob Kane.

11. Joker831 Registered

LoL, yeah that is funny. Pleasence just has that nervous noble cop feel to him in some roles. So i could see him giving a great Gordon Performance.

On the Penguin, i realized he was just a fat theif, which is why i thought Orson Wells, as seen in that pic was a great choice.

I have to say that if we are talking about casting Batman back then, you have to go with Conrad Veidt, i mean technically speaking...he is the Joker lol. Bob Kane got the Joker from his movie "The Man Who Laughs".....but im not saying there arent other great choices from this era, just saying....he's there, take it lol.

I know Rachel wasnt around in Bob Kane's world, just used her name because i couldnt think of the one's from his comics.

Price as Riddler is like so cool. I could imagine him saying "Riddle me this" in his horror creepy tone.

Humphrey screamed Dent to me, although Dana Andrews was a good selection.

Also, i believe if Dr.Jonathan Crane was in this movie or sequel, that James Stewart would make a great ScareCrow from this era.
    [​IMG]

A movie in this era would of rocked to a degree i think, esp if Hitchcock was behind the wheel with another director to drive the action edge.

12. batmaluco Run, Batman! Run!

It would be totally awesome if we had a great cast and Alfred Hitchcock to direct it at that time.There's even a rumor that Orson Welles was interested at some point in making a Batman movie but it's most likely untrue. He wouldn't be bad either as a director, despite not being my first choice.

13. Bathead The Oldest Geek

A couple of things (my opinion only) Orson Welles was way too tall to play Penguin, and he didn't really get fat until the 50's, Edward G. Robinson would have been more suitable, another excellent choice would have been Charles Laughton.
    Conrad Veidt was indeed the inspiration for the Joker, but he was a silent film star during the twenties, he wasn't around in the 40's,or at least he would have been too old. I like Richard Widmark for the Joker because of a famous scene he did where he played a sadistic mobster who pushed an old lady in a wheelchair down a flight of stairs, laughing maniacally all the while, looking very "Jokerish" doing it. I also like Cagney for the Riddler, and Lauren Bacall for Selina Kyle.

14. returntovoid Registered

I think he would be better as Batman/Bruce Wayne plus he has played the hard boiled detective in The Maltese Falcone.

15. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

It's possible, although Crawford IMO was a lot more attractive in the '30s before she started really getting into the shoulder pads and heavy makeup.