Comics Chapter One

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
I heard that Bryne, after doing Superman or some time after doing Superman's reboot, did a similar reboot/reintroduction to Spider-Man called Spider-Man: Chapter One. It's been on and off my mind but I heard some thign about it. One was Doc Ock was in the origin, but the other was that it wasn't good. Which shut off my interest for a while.

So how was this title and was it good or bad and why?

It was... ehn. It incorporated Ock into Spidey's origin and also put Ock in robot armor arms and legs. From what I saw, it was pretty bad. :down

I heard it was pretty bad. It was supposed to become the "official" origin, but it didn't. I can only assume it's because fans hated the hell out of it.

I know that Doc Ock was a part of Spider-Man's origin in Chapter One - in fact, I believe that Peter was attending a demonstration on nuclear energy by Octavius when the place blew, and Pete was caught in a nuclear explosion. After the explosion, Pete was bitten by a spider and that's where his powers came from.

I'm pretty sure they introduced a new villain in those pages too, and I think he appeared in ASM as well. He was quickly forgotten, though. What was his name? Captain Power or something?

And wasn't Chapter One where Bryne tried to say that Norman Osborn and Sandman were cousins (due to their similar hair, of course)?

Blech.

Lt. Figgnuts said:
I'm pretty sure they introduced a new villain in those pages too, and I think he appeared in ASM as well. He was quickly forgotten, though. What was his name? Captain Power or something?
Something like that. There was an arc in ASM in which Captain Whatshisname was hunting down and killing everyone involved in the experiment that made Doc Ock -- because he was made in it too, only he had been she beforehand... yyyyeah.

That, and Ock kept showing up with robolimbs in main Spidey comics, too. But, as you said, the fans hated it and it all seems to have been (happily) forgotten.

I've never read any issues featuring Captain Power (or whatever) but he doesn't seem like he'd be a terrible villain; they'd just need to retcon his original origin.

Anyway, IMO it's a good idea they scrapped this. While it's occasionally necessary for DC to clean house continuity-wise thanks to the parallel earths concept (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just the way it is), Marvel shouldn't really need to, at least not in terms of characters' origins.

Oh. My. God. (@ above)

I flaked off it at issue 4 when I realized I was paying to read what I got for way cheaper in MARVEL TALES several years earlier.

At the demonstration didn't everybody else die as well? Meaning that when Peter decided to use his powers for money he was just acting a complete bastard rather than having a realistic response like in the real origin.

Binker said:
I heard that Bryne, after doing Superman or some time after doing Superman's reboot, did a similar reboot/reintroduction to Spider-Man called Spider-Man: Chapter One. It's been on and off my mind but I heard some thign about it. One was Doc Ock was in the origin, but the other was that it wasn't good. Which shut off my interest for a while.

Don't you EVER speak of this again, you hear?!?:cmad:

Yes, it sucked. It was horrible. You wanna read it outta curiosity, go right ahead, but don't say we didn't warn ya.

And it was Spidey's official origin until halfway through the reboot.

Binker said:

NO! NO! NO! NO! GOOD GOD NO!! If you see a copy of any issue of Chapter One BURN IT!!! Then get yourself to a curch/temple/mosque whatever...even if you don't believe in God just pray and pray hard for some cosmic force to wipe that horrid memory from your mind. I'd rather read Sins Past 1000 times before ever reading that monstrosity again.

So to answer your question, it wasn't very good.

Binker said:

Like the Other and Sins Past, let this be forgotten. And buried. And burned. And cut to pieces. And then let me jump up and down on the pieces.

Definitely. It was classic Bryne crap. He didnt even try to reboot anything. With the exception of actually screwing up the original origin, the issues were pretty much "modern" (i.e. updated clothing and "hip" dialogue) versions of the Ditko/Lee run. The only differences I can think of is that the burgler thought Spidey was a fellow crook and wanted to steal a computer uncle Ben bought for Peter, Osborn owned the studio that Mysterio worked at and was cousins with Sandman. Oh and the crappiest that was Captain Power. Jesus, even a six year old knows thats a horrible name. If you want to know more, I suggest you go to samandruby.com or spiderfan.org.

MJD said:
Meaning that when Peter decided to use his powers for money he was just acting a complete bastard.

Kind of like the guy who wrote it?

jaydawg said:
Captain Power. Jesus, even a six year old knows thats a horrible name
well u know Dr. Doom is a terrible name aswell, but he was lucky in that he was introduced way back. if they made up his character now everyone would think he was lame just cuz of his name

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"