Comics New Chapter One comment from Byrne

deemar325 said:
[/color]
The difference being the writing and art sucked donkey balls on Chapter One.

Bryne plan sucks.

Well, yeah, there IS that. I guess you could say that Byrne writes a sucky "real" Spider-Man while Bendis writes a really good "wanna-be" Spider-Man. :)

as i don't see how one fictional character is more 'real' than another I've got to say usm's origin is far superior to chapter one.

gildea said:
as i don't see how one fictional character is more 'real' than another I've got to say usm's origin is far superior to chapter one.

What I meant was that Byrne, despite all the elaborations, still made it clear the Chapter One Spidey was the original 616 Spidey, hence my calling him "real." I will agree though that Bendis had a BETTER treatment of the origin, being that it was somewhat, but not entirely closer to Stan Lee's original origin with certain exceptions (I didn't really like the idea that EVERYBODY saw the spider bite Peter in that version though). Byrne making Peter caught in the same radioactive explosion that created Doc Ock and THEN being bitten by the radioactive spider was just too convoluted and more improbable than Stan Lee's original origin.

stillanerd said:
What I meant was that Byrne, despite all the elaborations, still made it clear the Chapter One Spidey was the original 616 Spidey, hence my calling him "real." I will agree though that Bendis had a MUCH BETTER treatment of the origin, being that it was closer to the original origin, even though the spider was a genetically-altered test subject rather than a radioactive one. (I didn't really like the idea that EVERYBODY saw the spider bite Peter in that version though). Byrne making Peter caught in the same radioactive explosion that created Doc Ock and THEN being bitten by the radioactive spider was just too convoluted and more improbable than Stan Lee's original origin.

But it was still a radioactive spider.

And Norman f***** Osborn wasn't involved from the very start.

stillanerd said:
What I meant was that Byrne, despite all the elaborations, still made it clear the Chapter One Spidey was the original 616 Spidey, hence my calling him "real." I will agree though that Bendis had a MUCH BETTER treatment of the origin, being that it was closer to the original origin, even though the spider was a genetically-altered test subject rather than a radioactive one. (I didn't really like the idea that EVERYBODY saw the spider bite Peter in that version though). Byrne making Peter caught in the same radioactive explosion that created Doc Ock and THEN being bitten by the radioactive spider was just too convoluted and more improbable than Stan Lee's original origin.

sorry, wasn't trying to have a go it's just my intial reaction whenever someone talks about the "real spidey"

There is the original and there is ultimate neither is inherently more valid than the other as they are both cut from the same cloth so to speak.

gildea said:
sorry, wasn't trying to have a go it's just my intial reaction whenever someone talks about the "real spidey"

There is the original and there is ultimate neither is inherently more valid than the other as they are both cut from the same cloth so to speak.

One is cut from the finest cloth. The other is an imitation made by a bootlegging operation.

Gregatron said:
One is cut from the finest cloth. The other is an imitation made by a bootlegging operation.

I agree.

Gregatron said:
But it was still a radioactive spider.

And Norman f***** Osborn wasn't involved from the very start.

Fair enough. But I understood that Bendis, while not making the spider radioactive, was attempting to try and make the idea of Peter receiving his powers from a spider bite more plausible given what we know about radiation these days. And while I am really sick and tired of Osborn being a Lex Luthor wannabe, I can understand trying to tie in the origins of Spider-Man and the Green Goblin. Perhaps I would've liked for a sort of middle ground in Chapter One, in that the spider is irradiated by Doc Ock's radiation experiments (maybe a fusion one like Spider-Man 2 had) but Peter is NOT caught in the same explosion, but is still bitten by the spider after the paramedics cart Doc Ock out of the lab. Just the idea Peter was caught in the explosion THEN bitten was a little too much.

stillanerd said:
Fair enough. But I understood that Bendis, while not making the spider radioactive, was attempting to try and make the idea of Peter receiving his powers from a spider bite more plausible given what we know about radiation these days. And while I am really sick and tired of Osborn being a Lex Luthor wannabe, I can understand trying to tie in the origins of Spider-Man and the Green Goblin. Perhaps I would've liked for a sort of middle ground in Chapter One, in that the spider is irradiated by Doc Ock's radiation experiments (maybe a fusion one like Spider-Man 2 had) but Peter is NOT caught in the same explosion, but is still bitten by the spider after the paramedics cart Doc Ock out of the lab. Just the idea Peter was caught in the explosion THEN bitten was a little too much.

True.

But if it ain't radioactive, it ain't Spider-Man.

"Is he strong? Listen, bud. He's got...genetically-altered Spider-OZ blood?!?!"

Gregatron said:
Let me guess. The "Ultimate" version is the one you feel is cut from the finest cloth.

Sigh.

On reflection they were both cut from the finest cloth (AF#15).

Only changed things outside its remit and as such became the said dodgy bootleg version. (byrne FYI).

The other though having a looser remit made excellent use of its very fine material (ultimate FYI).

radioactivity is window dressing, byrne himself has said so more or less.

gildea said:
On reflection they were both cut from the finest cloth (AF#15).

Only changed things outside its remit and as such became the said dodgy bootleg version. (byrne FYI).

The other though having a looser remit made excellent use of its very fine material (ultimate FYI).

radioactivity is window dressing, byrne himself has said so more or less.

Perhaps. But the theme song ain't very catchy without it...

Gregatron said:
True.

But if it ain't radioactive, it ain't Spider-Man.

"Is he strong? Listen, bud. He's got...genetically-altered Spider-OZ blood?!?!"

Yeah, that doesn't really roll off the tounge does it.

And actually, the new lyrics are:

"Is he strong, listen bud:
He's got totem-spider blood.
Flies around with glider webs.
Stings his foes so they look dead.
Hey there, that isn't Spider-Man."

"Spider-Man, Spider-Man,

Glides through the air like Superman.

Spins a web, any size,

They're organic; fanboy cries.

Look out!

Here comes the guy who used to be Spider-Man!

Is he strong?

Listen, bud.

He's got magical, Totem-powered blood.

Does he swing,

On a thread?

No! He shoots stingers at your head!

Look out!

There goes the guy who used to be Spider-Man!

In the chill of night,

At the scene of a sex crime,

Like Wolverine not done right,

He slices 'em up real fine!

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,

Unfriendly, monstrous Spider-Man!

Action and fun,

He's ingnored,

Trash and flash is his reward!

To him,

Life is a great big gang-up,

Wherever there's a maim-up,

You'll find the guy who used to be Spider-Man!"

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Actually, lemme rephrase:

Chapter One's changes; unecessary. Ultimate's felt updated at least and was a tad more realistic.

Also, Electro's costume in CO? C'mon.

Electro has a new costume in CO?! Someone please post a scan!

Oh, THAT thing... I think that was a Freudian forget on my part. Brrrr, that was awful. :)

Well, I'm in the minority but...

I actually really liked Chapter One. I thought it read like a loving tribute to Lee/Ditko. I think this version of a revamp/reboot reads a lot more like the Spidey of the 60's, 70's and 80's than anything that has come out of the Ultimate line. In other words, IN MY VIEW, it is a lot closer to 616 Spidey than any other reboot of the origin.

I adore Byrne's Superman and while Chapter One is not a hard reboot like what he did in MOS #1, I think it actually does exactly what i was supposed to do, pre Ultimate, which was introduce new readers to Spider-man. I also think long time fans of Spidey (like myself) can find enjoyment in it. It is a true gem.

Chapter One was a "Proto-Ultimate" series.
I remember a pre-release interview with Bryne saying that:
- the Otto/Peter explosion was done to create one less Atomic accident in the MU.
- Norman and Sandman were related because of the hair
- Chameleon was after giving Spidey a bad name because he was hired by Doom (who hadn't even fought Spidey yet...)

Chapter One was okay... not great... but when it was forced into continuity around issue 15 (I think), of Amazing, it became crap.

I love Byrne and think he doesn't get enough appreciation (Dark Phoenix AND The Man of Steel :hmr:) but I love Lee/Ditko so much more I didn't even read Chapter One.

Aloha,
Chapter One-NO-added nothing to the character
Untold Tales of Spider-Man-YES-best supplementation to the character to this day!

Spidey rules

Wow this thread got raised from the dead lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"