Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99881
Source: Deadline
February 4, 2013

dark-theron.jpg

Although Amy Adams was rumored for the role last May, Deadline is reporting that Charlize Theron is now eyeing the leading role in a big screen adaptation of the Gillian Flynn's Dark Places. The book, published in 2010, is officially described as follows:

I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.” As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived–and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who’ve long forgotten her.

The Kill Club is a macabre secret society obsessed with notorious crimes. When they locate Libby and pump her for details–proof they hope may free Ben–Libby hatches a plan to profit off her tragic history. For a fee, she’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club… and maybe she’ll admit her testimony wasn’t so solid after all.

As Libby’s search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the narrative flashes back to January 2, 1985. The events of that day are relayed through the eyes of Libby’s doomed family members–including Ben, a loner whose rage over his shiftless father and their failing farm have driven him into a disturbing friendship with the new girl in town. Piece by piece, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started–on the run from a killer.

Theron recently appeared in the blockbusters Snow White and the Huntsman and Prometheus. Next, she'll star Mad Max: Fury Road and is said to be in talks to headline Seth MacFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West.

The film version of Dark Places will be written and directed by Gilles Paquet-Brenner (Sarah's Key).
Sounds like a good role for Charlize and an intriguing story.

Corey Stoll & Tye Sherdian Go To 'Dark Places' With Charlize Theron
"House Of Cards" star Corey Stoll and rising "Mud" and "The Tree Of Life" actor Tye Sheridan have boarded the film, joining Charlize Theron, Chloe Moretz and Nicholas Hoult. Adapted by Paquet-Brenner as well, the story centers on Libby Day (Theron), who as a teenager witnesses her family get murdered, and testifies against her brother when he is tried for the crime. 25 years later, Libby is brought before the secretive, crime-solving Kill Club who want to uncover the truth about what happened. According to The Tracking Board, Stoll will take the role of the accused brother (they also note that Samantha Morton is in the mix for a part, but this hasn't been confirmed yet it seems), with Sheridan playing "the 16-year-old brother who is accused of molesting a group of girls and murdering his family before he’s sentenced to life in prison." Lastly, Sterling Jerins will play the younger Theron in the part of Libby.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...-to-dark-places-with-charlize-theron-20130820

Corey Stoll is awesome and underutilized in everything not named Midnight in Paris or House of Cards. Hope this is a good role for him. Certainly sounds interesting enough. The only thing I've seen from this director was Pretty Things, and I felt like that movie was pretty clunky outside of Marion Cotillard's perfomance, so hopefully he's improved since then.

Last edited:
I'll never buy Christina Hendricks as a down-on-her-luck stripper. I mean, LOOK AT HER.

Hendricks and Theron onscreen at the same time?

*metaphorical explosion*

Nothing, just looking over the poster. Huh.

First trailer is up.

Edit* Check Youtube.

- HR

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks decent. You'd think Theron and Flynn's names would've been enough for this to get buzz but I feel like this has kept in the dark (no pun intended lol) for so long.

Apparently this is on DirectTV now for 11.99.. but I can't watch it in Canada. I would totally pay someone the rental fee to use their account to watch it.. or you know, hopefully someone rips it and puts it online. It's my favorite book!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"