Charlize Theron teaming with John Wick Directors for 'Atomic Blonde'

I liked the movie. The action is great, as is McAvoy. But this movie is way too style over substance. The story is really thin, as are the characters other then McAvoy, and that include's Theron's. There are scenes so clearly looking for that "cool" moment with the action and music syncing. It is like they are going for the club scene from the first John Wick all the time, and it doesn't work the majority of the time. It also spends too much time with pointless arthouse transitions that simply extend the runtime.

It is basically what I feared John Wick would be. It lacks the story, the world and Keanu's magnetism in the role. Theron is good, but she is missing that underlying tiger. I don't quite buy her as the well worn killer she is suppose to be here. I don't know if that is her or the material, because the big one take action scene, she delivers beautifully.

The material let her down imo. I'm kinda disappointed.
I can agree with this. Especially considering how ridiculous fierce she can be in those action scenes. And it is clearly where the director was most comfortable imo. Also her scenes with Sofia.

I liked the movie. The action is great, as is McAvoy. But this movie is way too style over substance. The story is really thin, as are the characters other then McAvoy, and that include's Theron's. There are scenes so clearly looking for that "cool" moment with the action and music syncing. It is like they are going for the club scene from the first John Wick all the time, and it doesn't work the majority of the time. It also spends too much time with pointless arthouse transitions that simply extend the runtime.

It is basically what I feared John Wick would be. It lacks the story, the world and Keanu's magnetism in the role. Theron is good, but she is missing that underlying tiger. I don't quite buy her as the well worn killer she is suppose to be here. I don't know if that is her or the material, because the big one take action scene, she delivers beautifully.

Darth, my man, I think me and you are on the same wavelength with this. I just got out from seeing it and I'm kinda disappointed, to be honest. Its not a bad movie by any ANY means but man, I did not have any investment in the plot whatsoever. And I'm not even plot nazi either, I can enjoy the Hell out of a movie with a bare bones "need to get to from point A to point B" kind of plot but I just did not care about anything that was going on and found myself lost as points who certain people were and why they were important.

And although I REALLY liked Theron in this role, she had a cool, subtle charm about her that I really digged, but, again, there is no emotional investment in her character. The movie really slipped up in that department. It's got a TON of style, a cool soundtrack, a nice vibe overall, and GREAT action scenes. But even then, the standout action sequence happens in the middle of the movie and at that point I was like "ok, even though this plot and these characters aren't doing much for me, if the movie can AT LEAST end with a bang and have a kickass finish, I'll give this a solid B" But the movie let me down on that front, too.

So, I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to this especially since John Wick 2 is my favorite film of 2017 (so far). I think I need to see it again though. I think lol

Last edited:
I for.one applaud the return of gratuitous female nudity. ******* and ass galore. :awesome:

That stairway fight might be one of the most adrenaline pumping, yet also one of the funniest scenes I've seen in a film this year because it just would. not. end. It's like taking the hallway fight in the first season of Daredevil, but Matt just does not get a break. Ever. While the plot is pretty basic at times, I'll admit, I did like Theron in the lead role and thought McAvoy had a lot of energy in his performance.

My ramblings...
I feel like I should have loved it so much more than I actually did. I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing mind blowing. Plot wise, it's a very muddled spy action thriller, but with a great new wave soundtrack and one amazing stairway fight scene. The stairway fight is the highlight of the movie, but what is a shame is that nothing else in the movie matches with the same level of intensity. It almost feels like you're watching a different movie when it shows up. I will say the cinematography and directing was great, it's practically dripping with style. Charlize Theron and the rest of the cast was great even though they deserved a better story. Overall, it's a very well made stylish action movie that need some work in the story area.
7.5/10

As much as I love that one stairway fight, the Raid movies had that scene in spades.

My ramblings...
I feel like I should have loved it so much more than I actually did. I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing mind blowing. Plot wise, it's a very muddled spy action thriller, but with a great new wave soundtrack and one amazing stairway fight scene. The stairway fight is the highlight of the movie, but what is a shame is that nothing else in the movie matches with the same level of intensity. It almost feels like you're watching a different movie when it shows up. I will say the cinematography and directing was great, it's practically dripping with style. Charlize Theron and the rest of the cast was great even though they deserved a better story. Overall, it's a very well made stylish action movie that need some work in the story area.
7.5/10

As much as I love that one stairway fight, the Raid movies had that scene in spades.

You summarized my feelings perfectly. This LOOKED like a movie that was made for me, a raw, brutal action film like the Raid movies. I should have loved it but i didnt. And yes, as epicly amazing as that stairway scene is, nothing else in the movie comes close to matching it and the movie ends on a "meh. Thats it?" note because they raised the bar so high during that middle segment.

My ramblings...
7.5/10

I agree, especially with the word 'muddled.' Hearing that a lot and true, that stairway fight feels like the highlight of the film, but there's a bit of a chore in GETTING there since the other fight scenes, while fine, don't come close to what the film had been leading towards in that stairway.

Just saw it. Great cast, great action, great music, but I don't feel it earned a lot of the twists and turns it took. I don't feel like any of the characters had a super clear motivation or reason behind what they were doing.

I love kickass women and Charlize is really amazing. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the movie and loved its style. I'd be up for another one of these.

Last edited:
DF8-PpJUAAI-a-a.jpg

Saw this yesterday and really liked it. Solid 8/10

I really loved this flick. I'm calling it a 9/10 and top three or four films of the year so far.

At least better than wonder woman.

Call me silly but I was hoping she'd have some continental gold on her in the final scene on the plane to the US.

Last edited:
Despite hearing some mixed things, I was hoping this was one I'd love despite it's flaws. [BLACKOUT]Unfortunately, somewhere around the car chase, I found myself thinking "oh god, this is only the end of act 2." For a 2 hour movie, this felt rather endless and I think really should have been tightened down to 90-100 minutes. By far my biggest issue with it.[/BLACKOUT] I enjoyed it overall though, didn't love it, but liked it enough.

My ramblings...
7.5/10

Agreed. Fun movie, but the storytelling was off.

I love kickass women and Charlize is really amazing. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the movie and loved its style. I'd be up for another one of these.

Same here.

I agree with others about the pacing and character motivation. But seriously, when Charlize is beating the snot out of bad guys... it's hard to criticize it too harshly because she is all in. Amazing 1980s soundtrack.

If they can address the weaknesses in a potential sequel, I will happily see Atomic Blonde 2 in the next few years.

My ramblings...
7.5/10

I agree with this review in spades.

I agree with others about the pacing and character motivation. But seriously, when Charlize is beating the snot out of bad guys... it's hard to criticize it too harshly because she is all in. Amazing 1980s soundtrack.
Loved that last scene.
Charlize killing all the goons with mostly head shots, downing a shot like a Queen before shooting the main villain in the head at point blank range.
:hmr:

Loved that last scene.
Charlize killing all the goons with mostly head shots, downing a shot like a Queen before shooting the main villain in the head at point blank range.
:hmr:
When I saw that scene in the trailer,
I had no idea that we were looking at the last great stunt of the film.

When I saw that scene in the trailer,
I had no idea that we were looking at the last great stunt of the film.
I was waiting for that scene the whole film, and actually nearly thought they'd left it on the cutting room floor. Glad that didn't happen. The film wasn't perfect by any means, but the strengths easily outweighed any negatives for me.

I was actually disappointed with that last action scene, it was over way too quick and after the stairway sequence, it just felt anti-climactic to me, IMO.

Saw it this week and just blown away at how good it was. It has solid pedigree with names behind the camera and in script, but the intricacies of story and the way it was shaped was excellent and the action was for me, on another level. It out-wick'd Wick.

Loved every minute of it. 10/10 for me.

I liked it, but I may have not gotten what McAvoy's character was up to.
I mean, his true motivations escaped me, may be due to English not being my first language, I feel like something (big) went over my head.
Anybody cares to give me a clue? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"