Chinese test missile obliterates satellite

SoulManX

The Inspector!
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.
According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.
The test took place on January 11.
Aviation Week and Space Technology first reported the test: "Details emerging from space sources indicate that the Chinese Feng Yun 1C (FY-1C) polar orbit weather satellite launched in 1999 was attacked by an asat (anti-satellite) system launched from or near the Xichang Space Center."
A U.S. official, who would not agree to be identified, said the event was the first successful test of the missile after three failures.
The official said that U.S. "space tracking sensors" confirmed that the satellite is no longer in orbit and that the collision produced "hundreds of pieces of debris," that also are being tracked.
The United States logged a formal diplomatic protest.
"We are aware of it and we are concerned, and we made it known," said White House spokesman Tony Snow.
Several U.S. allies, including Canada and Australia, also have registered protests.
Under a space policy authorized by President Bush in August, the United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."
The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."
Low Earth-orbit satellites have become indispensable for U.S. military communications, GPS navigation for smart bombs and troops, and for real-time surveillance. The Chinese test highlights the satellites' vulnerability.
"If we, for instance, got into a conflict over Taiwan, one of the first things they'd probably do would be to shoot down all of our lower Earth-orbit spy satellites, putting out our eyes," said John Pike of globalsecurity.org, a Web site that compiles information on worldwide security issues.
"The thing that is surprising and disturbing is that [the Chinese] have chosen this moment to demonstrate a military capability that can only be aimed at the United States," he said.

Whenever a country demonstrates power on footing with the West and the U.S. they immediately cry wolf that they are the target.

That is the tell-tale sign and the burden of trying to establish hegemony.

Whenever a country demonstrates power on footing with the West and the U.S. they immediately cry wolf that they are the target.

:up:

just wanted to say that is a pimpin avy

We should focus on turning China into a millitarily strong ally instead of trying to alienate them by pressuring them into weakening their military.

just wanted to say that is a pimpin avy

Thank you but I have to say that I borrowed it from Phaser, who is not longer a regular on the hype. I'll keep it until he ready to return.

I feel horrible about this, but I could not get the image of William Hung singing "She Bangs" out of my mind while I was reading this story. My madness is worsening, isn't it? :(

jag

We should focus on turning China into a millitarily strong ally instead of trying to alienate them by pressuring them into weakening their military.

Yeah, that is how the British was finally able to rule over South Asia (India) during the Dravidian period. They weren't able to beat them so they joined them and manipulated the people by learning the religion, the language and the culture.

Considering all the technology that the United States has and is developing and then our government goes off complaining when someone else wants to catch up. WTF?

Considering all the technology that the United States has and is developing and then our government goes off complaining when someone else wants to catch up. WTF?

Do as I say not as I do:ninja:

I think the U.S. is just had that they didn't come up with this first.

China isn't going to attack us, we buy all of their crap. Would you attack the number one buyer of your goods?

China isn't going to attack us, we buy all of their crap. Would you attack the number one buyer of your goods?

The United States had this kind of technology since the Cold War. The United States is far ahead of every other nation in terms of military technology and currently, it is impossible to surpass the American military in technological means. Hell I wouldn't be surprise if the United States government has already developed stuff that we've seen on TV shows and video games like a freaking Metal Gear or something.

I just think the United States government is overreacting on account that it is only natural for nations to want to expand their military's power when the oppourtunity calls.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/w...a017e997a72c53&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Only two nations — the Soviet Union and the United States — have previously destroyed spacecraft in antisatellite tests, most recently the United States in the mid-1980s

We aren't afraid of them attacking, it about them not being afraid of us.

In late August, President Bush authorized a new national space policy that ignored calls for a global prohibition on such tests. The policy said the United States would “preserve its rights, capabilities, and freedom of action in space” and “dissuade or deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so.” It declared the United States would “deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests.”

Hmmm...

As long as it's a Chinese satellite why do they care?

Because it could potentially be used on our spy satelites. And that is why China developed them.

excellent point. I often feel my government and even my party acts like a bunch of hypocrites at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"