CinemaScores for superhero/comic book movies

kedrell

Fork&SpoonOperator
Reaction score
This thread is mere meant to be an easily searchable reference tool to see what the original CinemaScores for each film was. Not really intending this to be a big chatfest, but if you have info I don't then by all means volunteer it to make this thread more accurate. If you're wondering what constitutes a good or bad score(because while this uses the same basic system of A thru F like grades in school, you need to read them differently than a school report card), usually anything at a B+ or better is generally considered good(this is directly proportional to the size of the movie, be it blockbuster or not). Below that is not where movies want to score if they want good word of mouth.

That being said, here we go(I'll try and keep individual heroes and other IP's grouped together):

2 Guns (B+)

30 Days of Night (C)

300: Rise of an Empire (B)
300 (A-)

A History of Violence (C+)

Ant-Man (A)

The Avengers (A+)
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (A)

The Batman Movie (None, Cinemascore didn't exist until 1979)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (?)
Batman (A)
Batman Returns (B)
Batman Forever (A-)
Batman & Robin (C+)
Batman Begins (A)
The Dark Knight (A)
The Dark Knight Rises (A)
Catwoman (B)

Blade Trinity (B+)
Blade 2 (B+)
Blade (A-)

Blankman (B)

Big Hero 6 (A)

Bulletproof Monk (B)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (A)
Captain America: The First Avenger (A-)

Chronicle (B)

Constantine (B)

Cowboys & Aliens (B)

Daredevil (B)
Elektra (B)

Darkman (C+)

Dredd 3-D (B)
Judge Dredd (B)

Fantastic Four (B)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (B)
Fant4stic (C-)

From Hell (B-)

Ghost Rider (B)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (C+)

The Green Hornet (B+)

Green Lantern (B)

Guardians of the Galaxy (A)

Hancock (B+)

Hellboy: The Golden Army (B)
Hellboy (B-)

Hercules (B+)

Howard the Duck (B-)

Hulk (B-)
The Incredible Hulk (A-)

Jonah Hex (C+)

Josie and the Pussycats (B)

The Incredibles (A+)

I, Frankenstein (B)

Iron Man 3 (A)
Iron Man 2 (A)
Iron Man (A)

Kick-Ass! 2 (B+)
Kick-Ass! (B)

Kingsman: The Secret Service (B+)

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (B-)

The Lone Ranger (B+)

The Losers (B)

Son of the Mask (B-)
The Mask (B+)

Megamind (A-)

Men In Black 3 (B+)
Men In Black 2 (B+)
Men In Black (B+)

Meteor Man (A-)

Monkeybone (C)

Mystery Men (C+)

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (C+)

Oblivion (B-)

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (B)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (A-)

Punisher: War Zone (B-)
Punisher (B+)

Red 2 (B+)
Red (A-)

R.I.P.D. (C+)

Road To Perdition (B+)

RoboCop 2014 (B+)
RoboCop 3 (B+)
RoboCop 2 (B-)
RoboCop (A-)

The Rocketeer (A-)

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (A-)

Sky High (A-)

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (B-)
Sin City (B)

Spawn (C+)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (B+)
The Amazing Spider-Man (A-)
Spider-Man 3 (B+)
Spider-Man 2 (A-)
Spider-Man (A-)

The Spirit (C-)

Steel (B)

Man of Steel (A-)
Superman Returns (B+)
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (C)
Superman 3 (?)
Superman 2 (?)
Superman: The Movie (None, Cinemascore didn't exist until 1979)
Supergirl (?)

Tank Girl (B)

Surrogates (C)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(2009) (B)
TMNT (2007) (A-)

Thor: The Dark World (A-)
Thor (B+)

Unbreakable (C)

Underdog (A-)

V For Vendetta (B+)

Wanted (B+)

Watchmen (B)

Whiteout (C-)

X-Men (A-)
X2: X-Men United (A)
X-Men: The Last Stand (A-)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (B+)
X-Men: First Class (B+)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (A)
The Wolverine (A-)

Zoom (B-)

The Legend of Zorro (A-)
The Mask of Zorro (A-)

Last edited:
EDIT: I lost interest in this post.

Last edited:
Did not watch the movie or listen to the score.
No comment on that one.

kedrell scored it.

Scores don't mean a thing. At all. It doesn't make sense that you don't go/see a movie because of a score even if you think it looks good.
Too many blind sheep in this world.

Last edited:
Did not watch the movie or listen to the score.
No comment on that one.

kedrell scored it.

Kedrell didn't score anything himself, the thread is about having an easilly accessible list of the scores from the site Cinemascore.

It's not meant to be a thread where we post our own scores.

CinemaScore is more worthless than RT and IMDB.

Eh, its more useless than RT, I'll give you, but not IMDB. IMDB is basically an unmoderated user-selected internet poll, which pegs the meter on "absolutely useless". At least Cinemascore is calculated by an actual professional operation, even if its absurdly forgiving. Cinemascore may not say much, but at least you can say "if a movie gets below an A-, it has some serious WOM issues".

Scores don't mean a thing. At all. It doesn't make sense that you don't go/see a movie because of a score even if you think it looks good.

CinemaScore is more worthless than RT and IMDB.

Don't you love it when people claim a thread is useless but take the time to crap in it anyway? I know I do.

Eh, its more useless than RT, I'll give you, but not IMDB. IMDB is basically an unmoderated user-selected internet poll, which pegs the meter on "absolutely useless". At least Cinemascore is calculated by an actual professional operation, even if its absurdly forgiving. Cinemascore may not say much, but at least you can say "if a movie gets below an A-, it has some serious WOM issues".

What's so moderated about RT?

How many people are polled by Cinemascore?

Don't you love it when people claim a thread is useless but take the time to crap in it anyway? I know I do.

It's the same when people claim they don't like a movie but still review it and give their vote. Negative opinions are important too.

Last edited:
But you were attacking the thread premise itself, not reviewing a movie.

Whatever, enough derailment.

After I saw that people were having completely open discussions about organizing downvoting of upcoming movies (which they of course hadn't seen) on IMDb
I pretty much lost my ability to take that seriously.

But you were attacking the thread premise itself, not reviewing a movie.

Whatever, enough derailment.

You're also not reviewing any movie. And i'm not attacking a thread. I'm stating that CinemaScore is more worthless than RT and IMDB.

Better to be educated on general opinions than to go in blind and waste my money on a piece of crap. Movies aren't free

This is like grading on a curve.

An A- for Batman Forever. B for Catwoman. B- for Son of the Mask. B+ for Blade Trinity. B for Ghost Rider etc.

Batman Forever can get an A-, but the likes of X-Men First Class, V for Vendetta, Dredd, Sin City, Unbreakable etc all get lower scores. Wow....

Last edited:
It's not review scores, it's results from opening day audience polling in 5 random cities. They typically receive around 400 responses per film.

CLlYcsR.jpg

Here's a few more...

RoboCop (2014) B+
RoboCop 3 B+
RoboCop 2 B-
RoboCop (1987) A-

The Matrix: Revolutions B
The Matrix: Reloaded B+
The Matrix A-

TMNT (2007) A-

http://www.cinemascore.com/

Eh, the RoboCop & Matrix movies may be superhero movies by some definition but I never thought of them as such. Rather, I considered them just science fiction films. I don't consider the Star Wars films at be superhero either, even though the Jedi are people with supernatural powers.

TMNT obviously is if nothing else a movie based on an IP which originated in the comics so thanks for that and I'll add it to the list.

The Avengers and the Incredibles are the only A+ superhero movies. I didn't know that.

A History of Violence with a C+ was very surprising to me. I have that as one of only 6 comic book and/or superhero movies I've ever given more than a 9/10 to. That's creme-de-la-creme territory for me.

Last edited:
Eh, the RoboCop & Matrix movies may be superhero movies by some definition but I never thought of them as such. Rather, I considered them just science fiction films. I don't consider the Star Wars films at be superhero either, even though the Jedi are people with supernatural powers.
Well both of the writers inspiration for RoboCop '87' came from Judge Dredd, TDKReturns, American Flagg, and Rom The Space Knight comics.

Also does Sky Captain & the World Of Tomorrow count?
It got a B-.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"