Cliff Notes on the last 10 Years of the Marvel Universe?

SpandexFan

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello all,

After a 10+ year absence from comics, I have come back, but only because my local library happens to offer EVERY graphic novel and trade paperback in comic book history and delivers them for free. :woot: I'll be honest, it looks like I collected during the golden age, because the number of Marvel and DC titles seem like they have been slashed in half and OMG, the prices! I don't see how the comic book industry is recruiting enough little kids to carry on the tradition when they charge this much for even the basic titles, but enough of that rant, it makes me feel old.

I was hoping someone could fill me in on the new foundations of the Marvel Universe.

A few questions:

• First of all, I LOVE these new Ultimate series! This is how it should be done. When i collected they reprinted all the old Stan Lee/Jack Kirby collections in hard bound silver books, but I much more prefer reading the new redone vbersions, just like a remade movie. Awesome stuff! But did some of the characters not make it? I was checking out a subscription page and only saw Spider-Man, X-Men and Ultimates, but i've found Fantastic Four collections.
  • Speaking of the Ultimates, so is this basically a new universe that has nothing to do with the pre-existing universe? Or is there continuity and you just assume the background story has changed? Is this kind of like what DC had to do once it started getting too old?
  • What happened to Excalibur and X-Factor? Do all X-Men hang out now? I noticed X-Force was still there.
  • Are Hawkeye and Vision REALLY dead? Who else has kicked the bucket, bad or good?
  • Where is Thor? I haven't bought enough new reading yet but he doesn't seem to be in the Avengers anymore.
  • Any storylines you suggest I read? The Mutant storylines always seemed to be the best crossover series when I used to read Marvel Comics. Right now I'm reading House of M which seems pretty cool, any other suggestions?
  • Did the Beyonder ever come back? Any more super battle mini-series?
  • Magneto, good, bad, or both now? Any good guys go bad? I think I like that better then when the bad guys go good. LOL
  • Any new characters you suggest I read? I guess when I last stopped, Cable was just becoming the new big popular character in the Marvel series. Any new cool characters or teams I should check out?

Thanks for the answers. :hyper:

I don't know much about 616, but as far as the Ultimate Universe goes:

The only current titles are Spider-Man, X-Men, Ultimates, and FF. There have been mini's featuring the Ultimate Galactus and Daredevil and Elektra. There's probably more but I'm only concerned with Spider-Man, X-Men, and kinda the Ultimates.

Hello all,

After a 10+ year absence from comics, I have come back, but only because my local library happens to offer EVERY graphic novel and trade paperback in comic book history and delivers them for free. :woot: I'll be honest, it looks like I collected during the golden age, because the number of Marvel and DC titles seem like they have been slashed in half and OMG, the prices! I don't see how the comic book industry is recruiting enough little kids to carry on the tradition when they charge this much for even the basic titles, but enough of that rant, it makes me feel old.

I was hoping someone could fill me in on the new foundations of the Marvel Universe.

A few questions:
  • First of all, I LOVE these new Ultimate series! This is how it should be done. When i collected they reprinted all the old Stan Lee/Jack Kirby collections in hard bound silver books, but I much more prefer reading the new redone vbersions, just like a remade movie. Awesome stuff! But did some of the characters not make it? I was checking out a subscription page and only saw Spider-Man, X-Men and Ultimates, but i've found Fantastic Four collections.
Nope, it's just those four books, and a mini every now and then.
  • Speaking of the Ultimates, so is this basically a new universe that has nothing to do with the pre-existing universe? Or is there continuity and you just assume the background story has changed? Is this kind of like what DC had to do once it started getting too old?
New Universe. Think of it as an ongoing what if?
  • What happened to Excalibur and X-Factor? Do all X-Men hang out now? I noticed X-Force was still there.
Excalibur and X-Factor are still around. X-Factor is a great.
  • Are Hawkeye and Vision REALLY dead? Who else has kicked the bucket, bad or good?
Hawkeye is back from the dead. Vision is kinda back, as Vision 2.0 with the Young Avengers. (Another great book, when it actually comes out that is.) Thor Died, now he's back. Goliath (the Black one) Just died. Cap's dead. You know? It's really far too many to name.[/b]
  • Where is Thor? I haven't bought enough new reading yet but he doesn't seem to be in the Avengers anymore.
Died, will get better later this year.
  • Any storylines you suggest I read? The Mutant storylines always seemed to be the best crossover series when I used to read Marvel Comics. Right now I'm reading House of M which seems pretty cool, any other suggestions?
Kurt Busiek's Avengers run. Morrison's X-Men I guess. It varys for everyone. The Mutant books have really sucked for years.
Maybe. It think he's a girl now, and just died in the recent Annihilation event or something.
  • Magneto, good, bad, or both now? Any good guys go bad? I think I like that better then when the bad guys go good. LOL
He's got now powers now. oops, guess I spoiled the end of House of M for you. :o Captain Marvel went nuts, then changed his name, then got killed by Zemo, who is good now. Try Thunderbolts.
  • Any new characters you suggest I read? I guess when I last stopped, Cable was just becoming the new big popular character in the Marvel series. Any new cool characters or teams I should check out?
New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, X-Factor, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Captain America, Daredevil, She-Hulk, Avengers: Inititive, that's all I got right now.

Ya, sure.

Stuff happened. Internet broke in half.

Funny, I recall people not really giving a damn when Hawkeye came back. Of course poeple were pissed when he died, but when he came back it was like just another day around here.

Quesada took over, things got good fer a while, now they're mostly ****e.

Funny, I recall people not really giving a damn when Hawkeye came back. Of course poeple were pissed when he died, but when he came back it was like just another day around here.

Didn't he die again?:huh:

Quesada took over, things got good fer a while, now they're mostly ****e.

Really, thats odd, considering I'm picking up the most Marvel books than I ever have before.

Spiderman grew stingers, Ironmans a *****ebag, heroes fight heroes for being heroes, Black Goliath died(noone cared),the original Omega flight died(everyone cared), Hawkeye had sex with Scarlet Which, Aunt May apparently is going to die for the 22nd time in all continuity(okay maybe not), and the Parker women are like kryptonite to the Chameleon. Nothing new basically.

Don't forget that Bucky's alive again. Ugh...

Oh and Jean Grey has died and come back to life about 6 times.

Don't forget that Bucky's alive again. Ugh...

Oh and Jean Grey has died and come back to life about 6 times.

Which happens to be one of the best resurrections I've read in comics, especially when you think it's used to be ones of those "Everybody comes back in comics except.." characters.

HEre ya go
Hello all,

A few questions:

Ultimate Characetrs are were gradually introduced. currently, there are four titles (SM, FF, XM, and Ultimates, whcih is the Avengers) with no plans for more that I know of. There have been several miniseries, as well as the now-dead series Ultimate MArvel Team-Up which you should check out as I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Thus far, the most major character yet to appear in the Ultimate Universe is Ghost Rider (followed by, I guess, Iron Fist) Most everyone else has been done
    exactly like Anubis said, it's it's own universe, think of it as an On-Going "What if?"
    X-Force has not had a title in a long long time, but I think the team is still technically together. They had a (bad) miniseries a few years ago. If they appear at all, it's in the pages of Cable/Deadpool. Excalibur and X-Factor are still around, although they do not resemble the incarnations you knew. New Excalibur I think will probabnly be canceled some time soon, and X-Factor now focuses on Jamie Maddrox AKA Multiple Man's Detective agency, X-Factor Investigations
    Odin died, he became king of Asgard, then Ragnarok happened, and Thor "went to sleep". The best summary is that he died, although not technically. He'll be brought back at some point. The storyline that I just mentioned "Avengers Dissassembled: Thor: Ragnorok" is REALLY good and worth your time. The only set-up you need is that Thor is now King
    Most people really hated Hosue of M for a variety of reasons. PErsonally, EASILY the best book Marvel has had for the past ten years has been Daredevil. Do try to go all the way back to the begining of the current volume, when Kevin Smith and then Brian Michael Bendis were writing it, as it is incredible. If you're a Captain America fan, get a story called The Winter Soldier. If you like Thor, again, Ragnarok and a great book caled Blood Oath. If you like the avengers, get everything Kurt Busiek wrote. If you liek Spider-Man, you should go back to where writer J. Michael Stracinsky took over, the first volume is called "Coming Home".
    You'll want to pick up Civil War. There was a miniseries recently called "Beyond" which I think had something to do with the beyonder, didn't read it, not alot of major characters involved
    I can't keep track
    uh, well, that's really really subjective. But I DO have an "Official Recommendations Thread" whcih will tell you about lots of awesome and amazing titles you may be interested in. Click here: http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186190

oh, and anything with the name "Slott" on it is quality

Yeah, Bucky's return was the best resurection since Green Arrow.

Agree with the Slott quality remark.

The internet broke in half, earths were shattered, dogs and cats living together, and now 90% of Marvel books are talking heads, politics and red tape. Exciting!

I was exaggerating the amount of times Jean Grey has died and come back to life. I think it's two but I may be wrong. But a bunch of X-Men have also died and come back to life in the last ten years.

And yes, I read Winter Soldier and I am just busting on the fact that they brought back Bucky. I still think it was a dumb idea to do that but they did a good job with it... but still.

I didn't just mean your quote of six times was exaggerated, I mean that everyone thinks that she's the ideal example of a character who dies and comes back alot, but it's only happened once.

Magneto probably holds the record, or maybe Doom. It depends on what counts as "dead", since the most frequent way a character is brought back is "it only LOOKED like they were dead"

Read NA #26. He came back, saw Doc Strange, got it on with Wanda...and that's pretty much it. He didn't die, though.

No no, I'm referrring to the second time. He died, came back, died again, and now is back.

hello, and welcome back, true believer!

:spidey:

If I'm to recommend anything, it's that you get caught up on ol' webhead via
http://spiderfan.org

and at all costs, stay away from ever having to suffer reading the following story arcs:

Sins Past (Spidey)
The Other (Spidey)
Holy War (X-Men)
Sins Remembered (see Sins Past)
Get Kraven (Spidey)

Since you've been away for ten years, you won't have to worry about the ONE AND A HALF-YEAR wait between issues, so go ahead and pick up Spider-man/The Black Cat "Evil That Men Do" mini- written oh so molasses-like by Kevin Smith.

DO PICK UP:
Spider-man: Reign
Spider-man: Tangled Web
Spider-Girl
Spider-man: Blue
Spider-man: Quality of Life
Secret War
Alias/The Pulse
Spider-man/Human Torch
Spider-man: Breakout
Arana
Slingers
Marvel Knights: Spider-man #1-12 (split into three TPBs, good readin!)
Peter Parker: Spider-man (Vol 2) "A Death in the Family"

oh yeah... almost forgot...

Cap dies... :csad:

Should we get into the whole Xorn thing??

and at all costs, stay away from ever having to suffer reading the following story arcs:

Sins Past (Spidey)
The Other (Spidey)
Holy War (X-Men)
Get Kraven (Spidey)

This is an excellent idea, warn him of books to STAY AWAY from! I don't think there will be any argument over these choices. Avoid the following books like the plague:

Sins Past (Spidey)
The Other (Spidey)
Holy War (X-Men)
Get Kraven (Spidey)
X-Men: The Draco (actually, ANYTHING by a guy named Chuck Austen)
Ultimate Adventures
Any Hulk by Bruce Jones
The Dark Knight Strikes Again
All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder
Any Green Arrow NOT drawn by Phil Hester

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member