Cloak & Dagger Cloak and Dagger General Discussion

... same way as everything else...

Brief mentions of characters, events, businesses?

It should be creative though, like my ideas on how to connect MCU Spidey prior to his confirmed appearance on Civil War.

Ideas include: Kids dressing up like the Avengers at Halloween parties, one of the students does a book report on the Howling Commandoes (or even a visit to the school library and one of the books is entitled "Captain America and the Howling Commandoes").

Cloak and Dagger look very cool.

But some people seems worried about the channel, what kind of show are they doing?

The channel is a concern, but it doesn't have to be. The characters are teenage characters. A network like this is perfectly fine (in fact, my biggest concern with adapting the characters is no network is a natural fit). That being said, the show has to have a intellectual maturity to treat seriously the issues the comic touches on. This can't be a happy-go-lucky story of two people in love. It deals with drug use, it deals with abandonment by society, and it deals with prejudice people still frankly have towards interracial couples. Now would ABC Family allow a show like that? I have no idea. But, if they do, I have no problem with the target audience being in the 12-18 range as long as they write it as a show that adults should like too.

So budget, casting, and interference are the three concerns I have with the network. If the right people are hired for this, it'll be much stronger (Marvel television does the cartoons too, so I have no faith that they'll inherently do it right, I can only say that I'll give them a chance).

gearing it towards teens makes sense
putting it on a network full of cheesy production quality and terrible actors is the problem

I'm repeating my point a bit, but what other network would have a show geared towards teenagers? The closest I can think of is CW, which seems extremely unlikely given their DC focus.

Alexandra Daddario for Dagger :D

Dude, Tandy's supposed to be a teenager.

ETA: BTW, why can't the Marvel Film General Discussion forum be a Film and TV forum, shows like this get virtually buried in this forum when it would make sense to discuss it in the context of the MCU as a whole.

It should be creative though, like my ideas on how to connect MCU Spidey prior to his confirmed appearance on Civil War.

Ideas include: Kids dressing up like the Avengers at Halloween parties, one of the students does a book report on the Howling Commandoes (or even a visit to the school library and one of the books is entitled "Captain America and the Howling Commandoes").

Of course.

Unfortunately I think almost any adaptation of C&D probably isn't going to have drug use. Fictional drugs like MGH sure.. but who knows pretty little liars and the fosters deal with pretty mature stuff at times

Also keep in mind the show will likely be set in the present. I don't see the interracial couple card being pressed on all that much. Possibly a tad. But it won't be a huge theme imo

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think almost any adaptation of C&D probably isn't going to have drug use. Fictional drugs like MGH sure..

Why do you say that? I'm not saying they show drug use, just reference it. Certainly, it's not unprecedented to show it in the MCU.

Also keep in mind the show will likely be set in the present. I don't see the interracial couple card being pressed on all that much. Possibly a tad. But it won't be a huge theme imo

You're fooling yourself if you think it isn't still an implicit, unconscious issue in today's world. I don't want a non-threatening, racially diverse cast of a CW show (to steal a line from another show). I'm not saying it should be the overarching theme, just that it shouldn't be ignored entirely and everything is happy go lucky (which is why I was hoping John Ridley's mystery project was Cloak and Dagger).

Why do you say that? I'm not saying they show drug use, just reference it. Certainly, it's not unprecedented to show it in the MCU.

You're fooling yourself if you think it isn't still an implicit, unconscious issue in today's world. I don't want a non-threatening, racially diverse cast of a CW show (to steal a line from another show). I'm not saying it should be the overarching theme, just that it shouldn't be ignored entirely and everything is happy go lucky (which is why I was hoping John Ridley's mystery project was Cloak and Dagger).

I never implied it was no longer an issue.. just said it wasn't "as big of one" and it's not.its far more socially acceptable than 20 years ago. And teens/tweens have had a huge amount of shows with mixed relationships at this point.. it's perfectly fine to touch on it.. but I wouldn't make that the driving force of the show... I

I never implied it was no longer an issue.. just said it wasn't "as big of one" and it's not.its far more socially acceptable than 20 years ago. And teens/tweens have had a huge amount of shows with mixed relationships at this point.. it's perfectly fine to touch on it.. but I wouldn't make that the driving force of the show... I

Yeah, I don't think we necessarily disagree with this, it's just a matter of emphasis. These days, people don't overtly say anything bad about it, but they still use terms to describe people in those relationships (calling them trashy, etc.). 13% of Americans still don't support interracial marriage. A majority only began to support the idea in 1995.

I wouldn't make them look like a stereotype of a racist 1930s town. I'd use coded messages of disapproval instead. The idea is that people think Tandy is hanging out with the "wrong crowd" when, in reality, Ty is the person who keeps her on track and makes her a more whole person. By the same token, Ty always ends up feeling like he can't live up to her expectations even though he really has nothing to prove.

Look, end of the day, this is still a story about some comic book superheroes. That's obviously a big part. I'm just hoping the inevitable melodrama tackles some serious issues.

I feel like in order to drive it home.. I'd totally make it as if one of them, Tyrone or Tandy were mixed in with the wrong crowd... and accused of being trash or criminals by association. While the other is a little more well to do.. maybe make it sort of Marvel''s Romeo and Juliette... the more well to do one gives up everything for the other due to them seeing the good in them. Very Romeo and Juliette and beauty and the beast.. maybe get them framed for something and they have to go on the run.

So how will they connect this to the MCU?

The Dark Dimension has already been referenced heavily on Agent Carter. They could make a connection there. As to this show being on Freeform, I've never followed a show on that channel, but I am looking forward to this. This is really Marvel's first attempt at a straight superhero show on TV, so I hope it does well.

Dude, Tandy's supposed to be a teenager.

ETA: BTW, why can't the Marvel Film General Discussion forum be a Film and TV forum, shows like this get virtually buried in this forum when it would make sense to discuss it in the context of the MCU as a whole.

I was wondering the same thing, but I'm guessing it'll get its own forum soon.

Ive never even heard of Freeform.

Cloak and dagger being on freeform is not shocking

I feel like in order to drive it home.. I'd totally make it as if one of them, Tyrone or Tandy were mixed in with the wrong crowd... and accused of being trash or criminals by association. While the other is a little more well to do.. maybe make it sort of Marvel''s Romeo and Juliette... the more well to do one gives up everything for the other due to them seeing the good in them. Very Romeo and Juliette and beauty and the beast.. maybe get them framed for something and they have to go on the run.

I absolutely would have them of different classes. Tandy being more well to do makes a lot more sense. And it's not that unusual either - Heroin use for middle class white people is at an all time high. It's very easy that she could be on the street doing drugs. I'd actually play against stereotype and essentially have Tyrone rescue her (it's just people from the outside won't see it that way). I don't know about framing them for a crime, the original story works just fine - they're runaways on the street, they get experimented on by bad people, they get powers, the bad people still want to get them.

One thing I remember about the characters (this may have been the 1610 version, my introduction to them in 616 was shortly before so things tend to blend together) is Tyrone's insecurities that Tandy is too good for him. A lot of it is his projecting the views of society onto himself. Basically, teenage angst is good, just make it one with a purpose.

I absolutely would have them of different classes. Tandy being more well to do makes a lot more sense. And it's not that unusual either - Heroin use for middle class white people is at an all time high. It's very easy that she could be on the street doing drugs. I'd actually play against stereotype and essentially have Tyrone rescue her (it's just people from the outside won't see it that way). I don't know about framing them for a crime, the original story works just fine - they're runaways on the street, they get experimented on by bad people, they get powers, the bad people still want to get them.

One thing I remember about the characters (this may have been the 1610 version, my introduction to them in 616 was shortly before so things tend to blend together) is Tyrone's insecurities that Tandy is too good for him. A lot of it is his projecting the views of society onto himself. Basically, teenage angst is good, just make it one with a purpose.

I agree with all of this.

Ive never even heard of Freeform.

It use to be ABC Family, they recently went through a rebranding since it's former name hasn't really been in line with the type of programming they have for quite some time now.

I keep forgetting ABC is owned by Disney, who owns Freeform.

Freeform?... sounds like the brand name of a damn bra...

Unfortunately I think almost any adaptation of C&D probably isn't going to have drug use. Fictional drugs like MGH sure.. but who knows pretty little liars and the fosters deal with pretty mature stuff at times

One of the current shows on Freefrom is Recovery Road which is all about teen drug addiction so I doubt the network will shy away from that material in Cloak & Dagger.

One of the current shows on Freefrom is Recovery Road which is all about teen drug addiction so I doubt the network will shy away from that material in Cloak & Dagger.

That's actually encouraging. To be honest, I think the last time I saw any program on this channel was when it was still Fox Family, so I have a habit of conflating it with the Disney Channel. It seems that fear could be misplaced (although I'll still wait and see overall).

6KfBHEe.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"