Luke Cage Mahershala Ali is Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes

What happened to his character there? I have not watched the show beyond season one.

[BLACKOUT]he, along with jackie and the ex president tell the reporter about frank's money laundering. so the reporter uses them as sources and publishes an article about it[/BLACKOUT]

I finally started watching this (I know, I'm late) but I'm loving Ali so far. I was so surprised when he threw that guy off the side of the building. :funny:

Man, in hindsight, getting Mr. Ali for this role was pure genius. Too bad he can't come back for another season, unless it's a flashback.

Yeah, he's unequivocally of the best villains the MCCU has had thus far.

I agree. Cottonmouth was very well-done and he ranks up there with Kingpin and Kilgrave as another Marvel Netflix villain who was portrayed masterfully. Ali brought a ton of layers to the character, along with the right amount of menace and sophistication.

I think he was great in his limited time on the show, but hard for me to say he's up there with the best after what happened to him.

He got his SAG award for Moonlight the other day. Marvel really wasted one of their best assets lol.

He supposedly took the role because of how his arc ended up, so I'm not sure he'd have signed on to anything more.

Ali probably didn't want to make a long-term commitment to the show. But it's still rough to get bait and switched between Diamondback and Cottonmouth when Ali was so excellent in the role and way more compelling.

That is true. He did say one of the things that made him want to be apart of it was there not being a long-term commitment.

Still, like you said, it's a shame we lost him for Diamondback. Such a generic, boring character who was just violent for the sake of being violent. Nothing he did carried any actual weight, imo.

This shot though
Luke-Cage.gif

My favorite shot of Cornell and of the entire LC series.

Same. I felt personally offended when Mariah took down his Biggie painting at the end.

It never explained why he was nicknamed cotton mouth and why he hated being called that. Did people ever think he looked like he had cotton in his mouth?

It never explained why he was nicknamed cotton mouth and why he hated being called that. Did people ever think he looked like he had cotton in his mouth?

According to Pop, he got the nickname after losing some of his teeth during a fight. The nickname stuck and it was embarrassing and he always hated it. It was explained when Pops was sharing a story about his youth with Luke and how he ran with Cottonmouth and the father of that other kid who worked part-time in his shop. It wasn't because he's like a venomous reptile.

Just like with Pop, he wasn't called that because he was like the father figure to the neighborhood youths. He was called that because of how he would beat people up in the streets, their faces would go, "snap, crackle, pop."

According to Pop, he got the nickname after losing some of his teeth during a fight. The nickname stuck and it was embarrassing and he always hated it. It was explained when Pops was sharing a story about his youth with Luke and how he ran with Cottonmouth and the father of that other kid who worked part-time in his shop. It wasn't because he's like a venomous reptile.

Just like with Pop, he wasn't called that because he was like the father figure to the neighborhood youths. He was called that because of how he would beat people up in the streets, their faces would go, "snap, crackle, pop."

Thanks. I didn't think it was because of any resemblance to the venomous reptile, which is a name he might feel more dignified in those circumstances.

I did wonder if it was another reason. Maybe in the show, when he had his teeth knocked out, he did have to put cotton wool in there to stop the bleeding. thought maybe someone was making fun of him. Mahershala Ali actually sometimes does look like he has cotton wool in his mouth even as an adult.

Yeah it was probably something like that. He had cotton in it to help with the bleeding or whatever.

That's what I assumed too. Knocked out teeth/mouth injury - used cottonballs to stop the bleeding. I didn't think he was in some type of Kill Bill villain club where they all had snake names. :funny:

That's what I assumed too. Knocked out teeth/mouth injury - used cottonballs to stop the bleeding. I didn't think he was in some type of Kill Bill villain club where they all had snake names. :funny:

If he were, he would not have hated the name Cottonmouth everytime someone said it.

I don't think there was ever any reference to him being snake like at all.

Me too. I specifically remember letting expletives fly when I originally saw that scene. :funny:

I stayed away from all Luke Cage spoilers so I did not see that coming at all. That was a dark day. :funny:

I'm not gonna lie. By the time I got to episode six I did some digging so when I read it I had a very Darth Vader-esque reaction. When I actually got to said episode, I felt a pain deep, deep in my gut. :funny:

I'm not gonna lie. By the time I got to episode six I did some digging so when I read it I had a very Darth Vader-esque reaction. When I actually got to said episode, I felt a pain deep, deep in my gut. :funny:

I almost feel like it's my duty to warn people who haven't watched yet that this terrible bait and switch is going to happen. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"