Come up with your crew for the new Superman film if you were Zack Snyder

echostation

Superhero
Reaction score
HI I thought this would be a hupti fun thread in that all this talk of welling and Roberto and Routh and casting this and story this and that. I thought this would be a cool and hopefully big thread as to who you guys and girls would hire as your major crew members for your crew if you were Zack Snyder directing the new Superman film.

I'm talking ALL the major film crew roles like

DOP/cinematography

production design

costume design

VFX supervisor

VFX company

Editor

Music Composer

Art/Storyboarding

Stuff like this. If I'm forgetting any major crew role then please add on. I'd like to see who you guys choose and WHY! as in it'd be fun to see a brief reason for why you chose the crew member or what is it about him/her you liked.

This would lead to some interesting and fun discussion and debate about who might fit the new Superman movie better.

I haven't come up with all of my crew but so far I wouldn't mind seeing Larry Fong do the cinematography given his gorgeous work on Watchmen. Also Steve Jablonsky would be great as a composer I feel ( His My Name is Lincoln track from the Island is a track I can SO see being used in a Superman film - it has the perfect combo of uplifting feelings with a fusion of the grand, mysterious, the alien, the human and the royal - the perfect combination for Superman - I could so see this sort of theme playing while Superman does something heroic slowly or descends among the denizens of Earth as they stare at something wondrous he just performed before going back into battle).

Cinematography: David Tattersall. Production Design: Rick Reinrichs. Costume Design: Michael Wilkinson.

Music - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

I dunno if Zack's going to ask Tyler Bates to compose the soundtrack this time, but if he doesn't, Zimmer and Powell definitely get my vote. Zimmer can handle the dark, ominous themes for the villains (I reckon he'd make a great theme for Brainiac :woot:), while Powell can provide the more orchestral sounds.

Just listen to this track from How To Train Your Dragon, and tell me, in all honesty, that it wouldn't suit Superman. I DARE YA. :awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv6o4CpK9WY

Director of Photography - Larry Fong

This probably goes without saying, but Fong's work on 300 and Watchmen really stood out for me, and I can only imagine what he could do with more vibrant colours. As long as all his hard work isn't muted by the infamous Poop-O-Vision filter, as was the case with Newton Thomas Sigel's cinematography for Superman Returns, I'll be very happy. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
I think Snyder will team again with his usual DP Larry Fong and costume designer Michael Wilkinson, both of whom I like.

I would love for Weta Digital or ILM to do the VFX, but I think we're gonna get Sony Imageworks (I'm interested in how their work for GL comes out though).

Director of Photography: Daniel Mindel (he's not a favorite of mine, but most of my faves have very specific color palettes or styles that seem completely wrong for Supes, and I think the vibrancy in Mindel's work would be well-suited to it.) or Matthew Libatique (ditto for him, lol)

Music: John Powell

VFX: Weta or ILM

LARRY FONG obviously, and, well, Id take his entire Sucker Punch crew. Keep it all in the family.

Music - John Powell

Nice to see other people agree. :up:

Antman, excellent unique choices there about Tattersall and Reinrichs. Reinrichs work on the things like the Hulk and the Pirates films was excellent and would really fit well with Superman.

The only choice I am not so sure about is Michael Wilkinson. I mean in 300, I guess he did a good enough job but I felt in Watchmen most of the look of the costumes was too armored. The only one I really felt he nailed down was Rorschach and that shouldn't really be too hard for anyone to do.

But the other costumes... they looked too armored and too thick and constructed as opposed to a more natural look that the Superman one should have. They did have a royal look to them sure, especially Ozymyndias but overall I have to say I wasn't very impressed by the costumes in Watchmen.

Flickchick, great choice about Daniel Mindel! That guy is like under the radar totally, I didn't even hear of him until I looked up his filmography now. I think though with Star Trek and even earlier on in Shanghai Noon he's proven himself to really have that sort of brighter, amber bronze palate that could really fit well with a Superman film. He can definitely do epic style shots. I LOVED his work in Star Trek especially on Vulcan and when Kirk was skydiving down, I thought it was solid. My only complaint is his use of that flare that glistens off the screen, I wouldn't want to see that sort of Solar crispped look in a Superman film.

Sony Dreamworks, I'm sorry needs to stay the **** away from this film. They did a good job on Watchmen but I felt their work on Superman Returns in all honesty was really disappointing and crap.

What do you guys think of Steve Jablonsky doing the score... especially with a track like My Name is Lincoln.. I could SO see that being used in a Superman film.

Costume Design: Michael Kaplan

Score: Michael Giacchino

Casting by: April Webster

Or, to be more precise, pretty much everyone from Star Trek. :up:

I second Michaer Giacchino!

DP: Come on, it's a Nolan production. Wally Pfister all the way. He just needs to deliver the opposite of what he did in the Batman movies: Give us a world with warm, sunny light, with bright, optimistic colors where needed.

I'm really high on Tattersall for cinematographer. His work on the new star wars films and Speed Racer was amazing. I think the idealistic feel he gave to Speed Racer would be perfect for Superman.

Bill Pope all the way

And Michael Giacchino.

And definitely WETA. That's really all I need.

And definitely WETA. That's really all I need.
Almost conveniently, they'd likely be tied up with the upcoming Hobbit films. It's as if they were never meant to work on Superman. WETA was practically free for the past 5 years, the same timeframe the Supes franchise was in disarray.

Uh, Joey the Boom guy.

That chick with the boobs who passes out sandwiches at the Kraft Table.

That cat Link for Best Boy. Gotta have Link. That guy knows how to get the blow and the hookers.

They need a VFX studio that is not Sony Imageworks.

Maybe Weta or ILM

I like that Snyder got various special effects companies involved with Watchmen instead of just one so I would prefer that he do that again with Superman.

Music by Tyler Bates... He definitely deserves to be given the chance to compose a completely epic score for a character as big as Superman. He hasn't been given the opportunity to show everything he's capable of.

For ANY Tyler Bates doubters, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mFC-PzmVPA The track Exodus taken from Doomsday.

Costume Designer, Michael Wilkinson.... He worked Bates on both 300 & Watchmen as well as Sucker Punch. He's also done Tron Legacy, Sky High, and Terminator Salvation so I'm sure he'll be brought back.

And Snyder will bring the rest of his team back that's worked with him on 300, Watchmen, and Sucker Punch for Cinematography, Production Design, DOP, etc. Basically I think Snyder is gonna bring back everyone he's always worked with, lol.

Wow! Never heard the music from "Doomsday" before! I thought Tyler Bates was generic at best, I was not impressed by his work so far, but this shows that there is more to him. If he can come up with something interesting for Superman, then so be it. Still, I prefer Giacchino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"