Comic Stories You’d Like To See Adapted Into An Animated Film

Matt.S99

Formally batboy99
Reaction score
What are some comic stories you’d like to see adapted into an animated film?

Some stories I would absolutely LOVE to see are:

Batman: Thrillkiller
One of my personal favourite Elseworlds stories. This one in particular, I would love for them to try to adapt the art style as much as possible. I don’t know exactly how, but Dan Brereton’s art is so stunning, you have to keep the essence of it.
D18933D3-2075-4CAD-B691-B67B45E1B321.jpeg

Batman/Dracula Saga
This one would be so cool to see adapted. Another very unique art style to adapt. Seeing Batman with those super long ears and cape for days would be awesome
4726F03A-00E0-4582-99A8-EC838D84AEC5.jpeg

Selina’s Big Score
Or literally any of Darwyn Cooke’s Catwoman stories.
647C8E35-3428-4B4D-9327-A329FB96F390.jpeg

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia
worth it for this shot alone
11F999C9-49BA-4CD8-9AE9-0F6401CA68E8.jpeg

Kingdom Come
This one would definitely need to be more than one film
73C9B11F-681B-489F-86F9-1022A39B52BE.jpeg

Catwoman: My Sisters Keeper

would love for this one to be a continuation from Batman: Year One and have Eliza Dushku brought back as Selina. (Would love for her to come back in any project as Catwoman)
4BD1172F-4312-4609-ACD7-E8D04DAA9D07.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Batman Knightfall
2. Superman: for all Seasons
3. The Flash : Race to the Finish
4. Aquaman : King of The Seven Seas
5. Justice League: Tower of Babel
6. Superman: Son of Superman
7. Super sons
8. Wonder Woman: battle of the gods
9. TeenTitans : Operation Hive
10. Batman Incorporated

1. Batman Knightfall
2. Superman: for all Seasons
3. The Flash : Race to the Finish
4. Aquaman : King of The Seven Seas
5. Justice League: Tower of Babel
6. Superman: Son of Superman
7. Super sons
8. Wonder Woman: battle of the gods
9. TeenTitans : Operation Hive
10. Batman Incorporated
Wasn’t Tower of Babel basically done with Justice League: Doom?
Some great choices though.
Would absolutely love to see a Knightfall film

Patiently waiting for adaptations of Knightfall and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

Arkham Asylum would be a trip! They could definitely get really experimental with that one

Kingdom Come
Green Lantern: Sinestro Corp War
Blackest Night
Dark Knight: Metal/Death Metal
Superman: For All Seasons
Icon (Milestone Comics)
Static (Milestone Comics)

There are still a number of Batman-related storylines that could be great animated movies under this umbrella.

Knightfall
No Man’s Land
Joker
Dark Victory
Batman: The Cult
Batman: The Mad Monk

The prestige of stories like Kingdom Come or Arkham Asylum: a Serious House on Serious Earth necessitates a bigger budget than these movies have been getting. I’d honestly strongly prefer CGI animation on those movies. Imagine if Dave McKean directed an animated Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth using some of the same techniques he employed in his film MirrorMask. That movie was made for 4 million and is one of the most darkly beautiful films I’ve ever seen. Kingdom Come should honestly be a mid budget CGI animated film given the same level of respect and care as Into the Spider-Verse.

I still think TDKR is the best DC animated movie by a long shot, and I’d particularly love to see sequels. The Dark Knight Strikes Again and DKIII adaptions with the same cast members and animation style as TDKR would be fantastic for me. I’m a huge fan of those stories and I think TDKSA in particular deserves a second chance. Imo the greatness of TDKSA would shine through in animation.

Beyond Batman, there are quite a few big stories left that I’d like to see.

Crisis on Infinite Earths
Rock of Ages
Justice League International
Justice League Beyond
Emerald Twilight
Blackest Night

There are still a number of Batman-related storylines that could be great animated movies under this umbrella.

Knightfall
No Man’s Land
Joker
Dark Victory
Batman: The Cult
Batman: The Mad Monk

The prestige of stories like Kingdom Come or Arkham Asylum: a Serious House on Serious Earth necessitates a bigger budget than these movies have been getting. I’d honestly strongly prefer CGI animation on those movies. Imagine if Dave McKean directed an animated Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth using some of the same techniques he employed in his film MirrorMask. That movie was made for 4 million and is one of the most darkly beautiful films I’ve ever seen. Kingdom Come should honestly be a mid budget CGI animated film given the same level of respect and care as Into the Spider-Verse.

I still think TDKR is the best DC animated movie by a long shot, and I’d particularly love to see sequels. The Dark Knight Strikes Again and DKIII adaptions with the same cast members and animation style as TDKR would be fantastic for me. I’m a huge fan of those stories and I think TDKSA in particular deserves a second chance. Imo the greatness of TDKSA would shine through in animation.

Beyond Batman, there are quite a few big stories left that I’d like to see.

Rock of Ages
Justice League International
Justice League Beyond
Emerald Twilight
Blackest Night
TDKR is one of my favourites. Besides Mask of The Phantasm, it’s probably in my top 5 along with Year One and the Catwoman short, New Frontier, and a couple others which I desperately need to rewatch. I’ve read DKSA and it was...interesting, but would definitely love to see it as an animated film. Haven’t read Master Race, though.

I definitely agree those other stories need bigger budgets. I wish they would do an animated film with a theatrical release like Spiderverse.

And how could I forget No Mans Land! That would be SO good! And I would kill to see Cassandra Cains Batgirl on screen.

No Mans Land
Knightfall
Superman: Birthright
Superman: Up in the Sky (I would love to see Tom King adapt his work, but if not, I would go with Tomasi because his work with the Death of Superman film was superb. And he just knows Superman)
Battle for the Cowl
Superman: For the Man Who Has Everything
Forever Evil
Shazam: Power of Hope (would be a tear jerker)

as much as I love Kingdom Come, WW: Hiketeia, and Sinestro Corps War, I’d prefer those in live action.

Last edited:
For you guys suggesting TDKSA or Master Race, well...more power to you. Personally, I find Strikes Again to be a complete abomination and makes me angry just to think about it. The only comic worse than that is All Star Batman and Robin. But it’s a close call between the two.

I doubt they will do any of the sequels, though I kind of liked that new one where Carrie was Batwoman. The art, anyway.

All Star was a trip. Again, great art in that one, but that story was...something else

Not enough Darwyn Cooke love. Gimme Catwoman Dark End of the Street
latest

And or Selina’s Big Score
107174._SY475_.jpg

Knightfall (two-parter)
No Man’s Land
Batman: Universe
Batgirl: Year One
Robin: Year One
Super Sons
Superman For All Seasons
Matt Wagner’s Trinity
Kingdom Come
JLA: Rock of Ages
JLA: The Obsidian Age

Not enough Darwyn Cooke love. Gimme Catwoman Dark End of the Street
latest

And or Selina’s Big Score
107174._SY475_.jpg
Darwyn Cooke is a legend. I rewatched New Frontier the other day and his style is just so perfectly translated into animation. I miss him and his work so much.

Emerald Twilight

Will never happen but I'd love to see it (and, as crazy, Zero Hour).

The prestige of stories like Kingdom Come or Arkham Asylum: a Serious House on Serious Earth necessitates a bigger budget than these movies have been getting.

I think a film of Arkham Asylum would lead to very similar reactions to those for The Killing Joke, a lot of people complaining that the original comic wasn't really that good, was always too offensive and shock value-y.

Last edited:
No Mans Land
Knightfall
Superman: Birthright
Superman: Up in the Sky (I would love to see Tom King adapt his work, but if not, I would go with Tomasi because his work with the Death of Superman film was superb. And he just knows Superman)
Battle for the Cowl
Superman: For the Man Who Has Everything
Forever Evil
Shazam: Power of Hope (would be a tear jerker)

as much as I love Kingdom Come, WW: Hiketeia, and Sinestro Corps War, I’d prefer those in live action.

I’d love to see a HBOMax adaptation of Kingdom Come (or New Frontier too for that matter), but I still want to see KC animated. Agreed though that those stories would be great in live action—I’d add Birthright to that list too.

Oh and definitely would love to see an animated Whatever Happened to the Man or Tomorrow?

I’d love to see a HBOMax adaptation of Kingdom Come (or New Frontier too for that matter), but I still want to see KC animated. Agreed though that those stories would be great in live action—I’d add Birthright to that list too.

Oh and definitely would love to see an animated Whatever Happened to the Man or Tomorrow?
Live action New Frontier would be sweet.

I also really want a Fourth World live action movie that is a mix of Kirby’s vision and Geoff Johns’ version from Darkseid War

Whoever said Emerald Twilight... YES, I can't believe that one slipped my mind.

The Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite storyline from Jerry Ordway's run would make for a good Superman animated feature imo. It'd be a real treat to see Lex Luthor and Mister Mxyzptlk, two villains from total opposite ends of Superman's rogues gallery, interact. And of course, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is a must. In general I find the Mxyzptlk storylines to be so creative and fun. It's a shame DC's animated department hasn't sought to utilise that character all that much.

Crisis on Infinite Earths might be a little ambitious for DC's animated department, but I'd still like to see them give it a go.

Now the live action movie has been cancelled, the least they can do is make Jack Kirby’s New Gods into a big two/three-part extravaganza.

I wouldn’t want to see them phone it in with this one though - DC animated movies do that quite often and it drives me mad - they’d have to really go to town on it; invest a bit of money into it and give us some wild ambition and crazy visuals.
Basically it’d be more like Heavy Metal than justice League: Doom or whatever.

It could be their masterpiece.

None until bigger budgets and TOTALLY NEW animation style not a derivation of the 90s cartoon.

That is why I was annoyed with Long Halloween as all these adaptations are taking place wasting the opportunity to adapt almost as if just checking stuff off the bucket list. Just provide the comic on digital format for people to scroll through on their tablet, TV, or phone or make an audio book adaptation instead. At least that would bring over the original work moreso.

I think reading Long Halloween is more enjoyable than the cartoon for instance...

Long Halloween looks good. Give me more catwoman stories please

Kingdom Come with the OG Justice League cast
The Dark Knight Strikes Again
Knightfall
No Man’s Land
Emerald Twilight
Blackest Night
Sinestro Corps War
Dark Victory
Batman: The Man Who Laughs
Batman Arkham Asylum

None until bigger budgets and TOTALLY NEW animation style not a derivation of the 90s cartoon.

That is why I was annoyed with Long Halloween as all these adaptations are taking place wasting the opportunity to adapt almost as if just checking stuff off the bucket list. Just provide the comic on digital format for people to scroll through on their tablet, TV, or phone or make an audio book adaptation instead. At least that would bring over the original work moreso.

I think reading Long Halloween is more enjoyable than the cartoon for instance...
I enjoyed reading TLH more too, but the movie was great and the best thing we’ve seen from DC animation in years. These movies don’t take in much money, they’re for the diehards. That’s why the animation isn’t top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"