Comics Britiannia: Alan Moore on Watchmen

Sandman138

Avenger
Reaction score
[YT]qKebCtCTbCA[/YT]

This is really good stuff. Moore's insights into Rorschach are good, especially his observation that "this is a character, if ever there was a character, who got a king sized death wish. He was in pain". Required viewing.

He does a pretty good Rorshach.:woot: Although, does anyone else on this board have considered Rorshach not insane? I dunno, but I thought even though he had his perspective way on life, I found that he was probably the sanest and most realistic guy in the end. Does anyone else catch my drift?

I really cannot fathom how anybody can look at Rorschach's psych file, his journal, and his internal contradictions, justifications, and paranoid ramblings, and not come to the condition that Rorschach is anything other than clinically insane.

He's totally insane. Doesn't mean he is a serial killer or anything. Though, if he hadn't become a masked "avenger", he probably would have been, IMO.

He's totally insane. Doesn't mean he is a serial killer or anything. Though, if he hadn't become a masked "avenger", he probably would have been, IMO.

You're probably right about that for the most part. He did have something about him and even though he was insane, the character automatically became my favorite and that's saying something.

You're probably right about that for the most part. He did have something about him and even though he was insane, the character automatically became my favorite and that's saying something.

Yeah, he's my favorite too.

I really cannot fathom how anybody can look at Rorschach's psych file, his journal, and his internal contradictions, justifications, and paranoid ramblings, and not come to the condition that Rorschach is anything other than clinically insane.

I'm sure you can't.

I hope Rorshach sounds somewhat like that in the film.

Oh and he's bats*** insane.

'insane'? no. he was not deluded. Violent, unbalanced, stubborn and naive maybe but that is far from being insane. he saw things he thought we shouldnt have to tolerate and he acted to remove them. the word 'insane' gets thrown about too easily. he had a firm grip on reality, he just wanted it to be different is all.

great video thanks for posting Sandman

'insane'? no. he was not deluded. Violent, unbalanced, stubborn and naive maybe but that is far from being insane. he saw things he thought we shouldnt have to tolerate and he acted to remove them. the word 'insane' gets thrown about too easily. he had a firm grip on reality, he just wanted it to be different is all.

great video thanks for posting Sandman

I agree that it's a little intellectually lazy to label him "insane". I mean, Watchmen goes to great lengths to de-construct -- or, at least severely call into question -- commonly-held attitudes and ideas about what is "insane".

But Rorschach is definitely driven by something in the core of his being that he doesn't recognize or understand -- which is expressed in his bleak objectivism, ultra-violent behaviour, projected delusions about his father, etc. The scenes depicting his childhood weren't just for ****s and giggles, no? In Moore's words, he has a savage death-wish. And by "death-wish", we cannot interpret this to simply mean that he is "stubborn".

0004xt04

0004y2tx

0004zp9c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"