Comparing the cinematography of The Empire Strikes Back to Return of the Jedi

I agree on all fronts with this -- I have always actually said that Empire is the better film -- the iconic moments, the cinematography; Jedi on the other hand has been called a creature feature in some conversations I have been privy to, and although I love both films, my best analysis is that whilst Empire is by far the better film in general, Jedi is probably more of a 'Star Wars' film in its designs.

Yep. Definitly better than the prequels. They look too shiny and glossy.
I think the glossiness of the prequels was intentional.
It was to show that the universe before the Civil War was a better place.
There were certain bits that I liked a lot in the prequels, like the duels and the battles.

Ive always thought empire was a better shot movie, much more vibrant.

I think the glossiness of the prequels was intentional.
It was to show that the universe before the Civil War was a better place.
There were certain bits that I liked a lot in the prequels, like the duels and the battles.
I completely agree.

"Return of the Jedi" was, of course, directed by Richard Marquand and veteran old-school cinematographer Alan Hume,

Alan Hume also did the James Bond movies of the 1980s. That's usually what I think of when I see Return of the Jedi. He uses the same cinematography style for the films.

Great thread and a very interesting read. Props to the OP for pointing this out with comparrisons and details. I have always noticed ROTJs different, almost bland cinematography when watched right after ESB but seeing it side by side is really telling.

The majority of the ROTJ pics you posted have been tampered with. The black bars aren't even black... they're grey.

also, i got the feeling that they guy made special care to pick ESB pictures with a really high resolution, but ROTJ pics with lesser quality resolution.

Yeah I noticed that also but this isn't about picture quality or resolution. This is about the cinematography.

well when one picture has a higher resolution than another, it tends to look better in several respects. not disputing, i happen to agree with the guy, I'm jus' sayin'.

Regardless... Empire does have the better and more dynamic cinematography.

Praise be the bumper of this thread. Fantastic article/post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"