Return of the Jedi

Except for the CGI which screams 1997.
Uh, there is no CGI in my Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Unless you want to count the crappy Atari diagram explaining how to blow up the Death Star, but that screams 1975.

Didn't he make more changes like a year ago? So it doesn't even scream 1997 anymore. It's screaming 21st century now.

I mean the idea of CGI inserts screams 1997. You think you're watching Star Wars and then suddenly you're reminded, "Oh yeah, Lucas started messing around with this in 1997."

How does the original star wars feel timeless? Everything about that movie feels like the 70's...They shouldn't have made Luke's hair style like someone from the seventies.

While I don't agree that RotJ is just an "'80s movie," I do feel a majority of the cinematography was very safe and uninspired. Very textbook, with seemingly little "outside the box" type of thinking when it comes to the way scenes were photgraphed, composed, a lit.

How does the original star wars feel timeless? Everything about that movie feels like the 70's...They shouldn't have made Luke's hair style like someone from the seventies.

LOL. At the time, they weren't thinking of how audiences would respond thirty years later. They wanted kids atthe time to relate to Luke.

Luke_skywalker.jpg

What's really sad about this picture, is how Vader can no longer smell Lukes fresh 70's style hair. :(

ROTJ is the weakest OT (and I don't even like watching it that much), but it's still better than ROTS, which trumps TPM and AOTC 100x.

I agree, ROTJ does have that 80s feel to it. But I absolutely love 80s films, if I had to choose a favorite decade, 80s would be it. Return of The Jedi, Gremlins, Terminator, Back To The Future, Ghostbusters, all had that awesome 80s feel to it. None of them seem "timeless" as if they were made yesterday.

Return of the Jedi is my least favorite film from the original trilogy. Yet its 10x better than the prequels.

Didn't SithGoblin make this thread, like, a couple of weeks ago?

I have no idea. :huh:

I do feel a majority of the cinemtagrophy was very safe and uninspired. Very textbook, with seemingly little "outside the box" type of thinking when it comes to the way scenes were photgraphed, composed, a lit.

I'm glad someone else gets what I'm saying.

I also agree with the cinematography. I remember commenting on that subject in that thread comparing ESB and ROTJ.

Didn't you make that thread, Catman?

My ranking of the SW films:
1. ESB
2. ROTJ
3. ROTS
4. AOTC
5. ANH
6. TPM

I can't believe you ranked the original Star Wars film so low. It is easily the second best while also being the most fun.

He was smoking some rocks that day.

He clearly meant:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ
4. ROTS
5. AOTC
6. TPM

#5 and #6 can be possibly rearrangeable.

Problem was that these revelations were presented with about as much emotional force as that checklist. "Death of Yoda - check. Han Solo rescued - check. Death Star destroyed - check..."

It's better than:

Episode I - Anakin is a podracing, annoying ass kid.
Episode II - Anakin is a whiney little b!tch and doesn't listen.
Episode III - Anakin is a stupid motherf***er who turns his back on the Jedi, easily convinced, biggest b!tch in the galaxy, shows no logic, and will never smell his son's fresh hair....

:D

The acting in the Vader/Emperor/Luke scenes was excellent, the best in the entire saga. Hamil really raised his game. When he disgards his lightsaber and tells the Emperor, "I am a Jedi. Like my father before me," that's absolutely perfect. Finally it's all clear, there he is, there's the hero this has all been leading up to.

And the Emperor is so menacing and evil, yet believable, that I can't believe it's the same guy playing (over-acting) him in Revenge of the Sith.

The acting in the Vader/Emperor/Luke scenes was excellent, the best in the entire saga. Hamil really raised his game. When he disgards his lightsaber and tells the Emperor, "I am a Jedi. Like my father before me," that's absolutely perfect. Finally it's all clear, there he is, there's the hero this has all been leading up to.

And the Emperor is so menacing and evil, yet believable, that I can't believe it's the same guy playing (over-acting) him in Revenge of the Sith.

everything the prequels just seemed like a chesy homage to the orginals.

I just finished watching Jedi on Cinemax. It's been a while since I last saw the film so hence why I just realized this.

I love Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Yet I was never too crazy about Jedi. It's good but not...great...you know? It has a lot of flaws and I wasn't too crazy about how somethings were handled.

But, even with all the flaws this movie has it still is a hundred times better than the Prequels. Even better than Revenge of the Sith. Although Sith has a better ending. lol. The party with the "Teddy Bears" was one of the things I wasn't too crazy about. lol.

The biggest mistake was not bringing back Irvin Kershner.

Richard Marquand did a terrible job and if it wasn't for Ian McDiarmid saving the end of the film it would have been a total loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"