Computer Help

HankTheTurtle

Civilian
Reaction score
I've got an issue. My laptop randomly shuts off. First it would happen and I'd just turn it back on and it would be fine for a while before it happened again, but now it's happening more and more often, sometimes before it even boots up.

I've been running it purely off AC power, as I need to get a new battery. My computer guy told me to take the battery out if it's dead, so I did. Could this have anything to do with what's happening?

I'm also in a pretty dusty house. Could that mess with the fans or something?

It seems like it might be an overheating issue, but if it is, how do I fix it? Is the only solution buying one of those cooling platforms?

Sounds like a virus to me. Most likely a worm. I encountered that same problem with one of the computers were I used to work.Try running a virus scan. There can also be many reasons as well some of which could be hardware related.

Are you fans working on the laptop because if they dont start running on boot, thats why it will be cutting out as a fail safe so it doesnt damage your CPU, if you can i would open it up and get some of that air in a can and get all the dust out of your pc.

A clean pc is a problematic free pc

^Yeah but I would suggest trying software problems first then go to hardware related issues next.

Well update your virus database. It could be that your virus database is out of date. Also run an anti spyware scan while your at it.

Well run an antispyware scan and a registry scanner. How long have you been experiencing this problem?

it's not ALWAYS viruses and spyware. I think I have an idea of what it is, but before I post it, what does your output for the adapter look like? A hole? A needle?

Neither do I :huh:
HankTheTurtle, what does the output look like?

I've found that typically random re-boots that get more frequent are heat issues. Fans not turning, dusty heat sink over the CPU, that sort of thing. With a laptop it isn't as easy to de-dust. Get yourself a can of compressed air and blow all the crap you can out of it. DO NOT tip the can upside down when doing this as the condensation could really screw your world.

If it is not heat related the next thing I would think is video card/chip issues, driver issues, CPU failing, etc. If it is any of those...you were wanting an upgrade soon anyway, right?

I've found that typically random re-boots that get more frequent are heat issues. Fans not turning, dusty heat sink over the CPU, that sort of thing. With a laptop it isn't as easy to de-dust. Get yourself a can of compressed air and blow all the crap you can out of it. DO NOT tip the can upside down when doing this as the condensation could really screw your world.

If it is not heat related the next thing I would think is video card/chip issues, driver issues, CPU failing, etc. If it is any of those...you were wanting an upgrade soon anyway, right?

Exactly

It wouldnt be software issues if it is doing it in bootup. because no software has even loaded yet! hell even the OS wouldnt have loaded

I don't want to look right now, because right now it's on and working and if I unplugged it it would turn off, but im pretty sure the part I plug into the back of the computer is like a little tube, where a little needle goes into it.

My computer is a HP Pavilion zx5000 I got it around the end of 2004, but just had it all cleaned up. (the hard drive I mean, not physically)

hmm... sounds like something is lose...

1. Needle from the adapter output
2. Something inside the adapter converter box
3. The power output in the actual computer.

Try going to your local computer store and look for a universal adapter that's compatible with the one you have. Plug it in and nudge it around. If it doesn't shut off your adapter was messed. If it still shuts off, open up your computer and check to see if the power output is lose. If not your internal power supply is most-likely damaged. In this case, take it to the manufacturer if the wrrany is still in effect or an independent computer repair shop that you can TRUST and ask them to take a look at it. Sounds like hadware issues. I have this problem myself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA just when I finished that sentence, my laptop shut down! I have my parts on order now. PS: how did I recover this post? Firefox can do that baby!

most browsers can do that, yes even IE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"