Connecting to Xbox Live Question!

BatFitz

Civilian
Reaction score
I've had my Xbox 360 since June. Love it! Now I am ready to start my Silver membership on Xbox Live. Anywho, I have Comcast broadband internet and the modem I have is a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem. I connected the ethernet cable from the 360 into the back of the modem (which was plugged in and the cable wire was connected). And I did the connection test and it couldn't find an IP address. Any one know what to do?

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but you probably need a router.

I had a friend have the same problem when plugging the system directly into his modem. I told him to get a Linksys router and use that between his modem and system, and he got back with me the next day and said it worked like a charm.

Now if this is true, WHY does it not work to connect it directly to the modem? I have no clue...

the xbox site even recommends connecting directly to the modem...

BatFitz said:
I've had my Xbox 360 since June. Love it! Now I am ready to start my Silver membership on Xbox Live. Anywho, I have Comcast broadband internet and the modem I have is a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem. I connected the ethernet cable from the 360 into the back of the modem (which was plugged in and the cable wire was connected). And I did the connection test and it couldn't find an IP address. Any one know what to do?
If that happens again, open your browser, type in "192.168.100.1", or if that doesn't work, "192.168.1.100", and find the option to restart your modem so that it will tell the comcast servers to let you on. If it happened once, it's probably going to happen again, computer errors don't just disappear into thin air for no reason.

I figured out what the problem once though...I had to unplug the modem and plug in the 360 ethernet and then turn plug the modem back in and let it go through it's power on cycle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"