Corrupt Congressman William Jefferson Loses (?)

The Senator

Avenger
Reaction score
What a stunning upset! It looks like Republican Anh "Joseph" Cao has won against corrupt incumbent Democrat William Jefferson in New Orleans. Jefferson, as you may already know, has been under investigation for over three years since authorities found more than $200,000 in his freezer.

I must say, I am shocked that this happened given the odds. Cao will be the first Vietnamese Congressman elected, as well as the first Republican to represent New Orleans since Reconstruction.

With 80% of the precincts in, Cao leads Jefferson by 10 percentage points. The AP has called the race already, but given the heavy Democratic tilt of the district (D+28), there is a slim possibility it could revert to Jefferson at the very end.

So for now, congratulations to Mr. Cao on making history and defeating one of the most disgraceful politicians in Congress :up:

(oh, and if Cao maintains his lead and apparent win, can a mod remove the question mark from the title? :cwink:)

Last edited:
Good. Dollar Bill can suck it.

Edit. So it's not official yet? Well hopefully Cao will win and maybe Jefferson will get what he deserves for taking bribes. Also, I'm glad to see Obama shyed away from supporting him.

Last edited:
Well that's good to see, though it shouldn't have been that close.

I wonder if John McCain has new thoughts about those wacky Vietnamese.

No, it shouldn't have.

Jefferson should have won by double-digits given the make-up of the district.

Technically if it were under normal circumstances yes.

But when you have corrput asshats like Jefferson and Stevens barely losing their seats, morally it should have been landslides for Cao and Beigich.

jefferson should have stepped down when the scandal reared its ugly head, like his party asked him to do.

jefferson should have stepped down when the scandal reared its ugly head, like his party asked him to do.

Yes, he should have. But Jefferson probably thought he was politically invincible given the political demography of his district. I'm sure this caught him by surprise.

Yes, he should have. But Jefferson probably thought he was politically invincible given the political demography of his district. I'm sure this caught him by surprise.

true. maybe he can dig some more cash out of his magic freezer and take a nice long vacation now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"