"Count of Monte Cristo" Gets Sci-Fi Spin

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Pictures has picked up Ian Shorr's script which is described as a futuristic retelling of Alexandre Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo" reports Variety.
The original 1844 tale follows a young man wrongly imprisoned. After many years he escapes, transforming himself into the mysterious Count of Monte Cristo, and systematically destroys those who manipulated and enslaved him.
Kevin McCormick ("Arthur," "Gangster Squad") will produce the film which is being fast tracked and is already out to directors. The last major direct film adaptation was the 2002 Spyglass film starring Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce, Richard Harris and a teenage Henry Cavill.
The news follows a similar story yesterday of a sci-fi take of Joseph Conrad's classic 1902 novel "Heart of Darkness" being put into development.

Looks like the next trend in Hollywood: sci-fi makeover

NYYYYEAHHH!!! WHY ON EARTH!? Argh!!! They should just make an accurate film based in the 1800s... this is ridiculous... Why do classic stories get stupid adaptations?! Both Musketeers and this. Seriously, it's like they go "hey what's cool? Oh this book! What's cool about it? Sweet - lets throw that out the window and make it our own." and then they fail, and studios don't want to make another adaptation of it for ten years...

Well... they already did an adaptation of the book recently. It wasn't very accurate to the book, but it was still a pretty good movie (IMO). I'm not sure going futuristic is a good idea either, but I doubt anyone is going to take another stab at an accurate adaptation for a while yet.

As long as La Comtesse de Morcerf and Albert don't end up with Dantes in the end, I might be able to appreciate this film.

Why is it such an offense? There are been so many modernized interpretations of classic stories that it's ridiculous.

And at the end of the day, you don't HAVE to go see the movie, and furthermore, there's every likelihood that . . . . *GASP* the movie might actually end up being good!!!!

Robin Hood, Monte Cristo, whatever in a sci-fi-setting is more interesting than just another re-telling of the story.

Outland is a very good sci-fi remake of High Noon.

Alfred Bester did it first with The Stars My Destination.

Don't know what to make of this...

So... does this mean we're gonna get sci-fi versions of "War & Peace" and "The Taming of the Shrew" at some point?

Cristo
"Burn Notice" co-executive producer Craig O’Neill has been set to rewrite "Cristo", the latest adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo" for Warner Bros. Pictures.
Ian Shorr penned the script which is described as “a futuristic re-imagining” of the tale. [Source: Deadline]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"