Creator Bout 4: Battle of the Brits part 2 Ennis vs Millar

Elijya

Avenger
Reaction score
Garth Ennis versus Mark Millar! The drunken Irishman versus... well, the drunken Scotsman! Both are brits with a flair for violence in their story-telling. Ennis' magnum opus Preacher alone just might make him the winner here, but Millar is no slacker in the quality tales category himself. Who's your pick?

garthEnnis.jpg

Name: Garth Ennis
Nationality: Irish
Alcohol Tolerance: Infinite
Best Works: Preacher, Punisher, Hellblazer (91-94), Hitman, War Story, The Pro, Authority: Kev
Biggest Mistake: Ghost Rider

mark_millar.jpg

Name: Mark Millar
Nationality: Scottish
Alcohol Tolerance: Endless
Best works: Swamp Thing, Wanted, The Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, The Authority, Superman: Red Son, Chosen, Wolverine
Biggest Mistake: Trouble

Mark Millar

I like his style more and he's written a lot of great books IMO.

Yeah, I've got to go with Millar too. Tough choice it was. :o

I go with Millar.

I love his Ultimates, and his run on Ultimate X-men is possibly still the best.

nite-owl said:
Ennis, just for preacher alone.

Exactly.

Preacher was arguably the BEST comic series of the 90's, so he gets my vote for that and that alone.

:up:

Ditto on Preacher. Millar has a far better track record for me for more ENTERTAINING stories, but Preacher is just too great a tale even for Millar's other works combined to overcome it.

Ennis for Preacher and because I've never read anything from him that just plain sucked... can't say the same for Millar.

Gotta go with Ennis. While Ennis can be a bit redundant, treading the same themes over and over in most of his works (Preacher, Just a Pilgrim, Ghost Rider) he at least puts enough of a spin on the themes that they seem fresh and interesting each time, and he hasn't written as much stuff that just outright blows as Millar has. The Ultimates and the earlier Authority stuff (which are also very similar, so Millar's got a bit of the one-trick pony in him, too) aside, Millar's got a pretty dodgy record for me. I'm consistently entertained by about 95% of Ennis' stuff, whereas I'm probably down to about 20% with Millar now.

Ennis, although I'm dangerously poor at reading Preacher (only ever read the first trade and keep on puting it off) I find already better than a lot of Millars work. With Millar I enjoyed Red Son, but really don't like his work on Ultimates. And I havn't actually read either of their Authority work.

So even though I'm very poorly accustomed to these people, I have to give it to Ennis for the little I've read.

Ennis. He wrote Preacher, he's Irish (and a good drinkin' Irish at that), and while Millar likes to put a lot of pop-culture referances in his work Ennis struck me more as the kinda writer who actually just went on a bunch of roadtrips and really understands (in the sense that a writer does) the cultures that inhabit his stories.

Though Millar does have The Authority to his name and that counts for a lot, his other work just doesn't jive with me.

just curious: do people like these creator bouts? they seem to get some interesting conversations going, and I've got a few more in mind

I like them; I like hearing peoples opinions on different creators and sometimes I forget who has written what - so this reminds me :D

Ennis
nite-owl
Themanofbat
Elijya
Lackey
TheCorpulent1
yenaled
Sandman138

Millar
TheFalcon
Johnny Blaze
PWN3R RANGER

(damn, I knew Preacher would make this a bit too one-sided)

Maybe you should have put him up against Ellis. That would have quickly balanced out Preacher.

nope, saving Ellis for another one. Maybe I'll come back, though

Elijya said:
just curious: do people like these creator bouts? they seem to get some interesting conversations going, and I've got a few more in mind
Yeah, they're cool.
It's like a new take on versus threads. Only these don't suck. :D

Sandman138 said:
Maybe you should have put him up against Ellis. That would have quickly balanced out Preacher.
I'd have taken Ennis anyway. Ellis and Millar are about even for me, although Planetary puts Ellis ahead of Millar.

eh, save that conversation for another thread

How would you guys feel if Preacher was off the table, though? since that is obviously what is tipping the scales?

Elijya said:

How would you guys feel if Preacher was off the table, though? since that is obviously what is tipping the scales?
I don't think it should be taken off the table. I think each author should have all their titles, both good and bad, on display, so to speak.

Still, wouldn't matter to me much anyway since I voted for Millar.

Elijya said:

Ennis still wins because he'll never have MK Spider-Man on his resumé.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Ennis still wins because he'll never have MK Spider-Man on his resumé.

sorry to just jump in but millar's MKspiderman was good,nor great but good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"