'Creature from the Black Lagoon'

More than 'The Mummy', this one would get me more interested, but it needs a lot of 'upgrading' in it's 50's tropes and settings (racism / sexism / attitudes)

I don't think that the tropes ought to be ignored. Updated, perhaps. But it would be a mistake to remove the unrequited love angle. It's who the gill man is. Just as it was a mistake to remove the love story from Kong. It has left him a soulless, cliche kaiju. The creature needs to keep his defining traits and what defines him best is his loneliness and how that isolation drives him to unrequited love and ultimately his demise.

Wasn't there like a Bride of The Creature From the Black Lagoon movie with a female Creature?

No, as far as I am aware there has only been three Creature movies. The original, Revenge of the Creature, and The Creature Walks Among Us. You may be thinking of Bride of Frankenstein.

No, as far as I am aware there has only been three Creature movies. The original, Revenge of the Creature, and The Creature Walks Among Us. You may be thinking of Bride of Frankenstein.

BOF was where my little jest came from, but no.

I found it. It's a statuette someone made, doesn't look like there was a movie.

Actually yeah, the Creature could be genderless or gender fluid or something. Make quite the statement, don't you think?

I think Guard is thinking of "Mother In-Law of The Creature from the Black Lagoon".

BOF was where my little jest came from, but no.

I found it. It's a statuette someone made, doesn't look like there was a movie.

Actually yeah, the Creature could be genderless or gender fluid or something. Make quite the statement, don't you think?

Sure. But why? Why do it? Is it being done just to make a statement? If the creature is, at its heart, an unrequited love story, then it is probably best to just pick a gender and go with it.

At least avoid the damn trope of giving a non-mammal female boobs.

“I think for any creature/monster kid, ‘Creature from the Black Lagoon’ is the quintessential monster movie,” Nicotero said. “I think Robert Rodriguez and I always talk about like, ‘Hey, man. Maybe we should co-direct a Creature from the Black Lagoon movie,’ because he and I have identical tastes. We love ‘Jaws.’ We love ‘The Thing.’ We love ‘Escape from New York’ and ‘Blade Runner.’ We toy with the idea of like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool if we remade Creature from the Black Lagoon?’ And I know they’ve been trying to do it forever, but, for me, that’s the quintessential Universal Monster movie.”

Greg Nicotero & Robert Rodriguez Remaking Creature From the Black Lagoon?

You could do a great remake of Creature. Lots of potential.

Just as long as it doesn't now feel too similar to The Shape of Water whose creature was basically the creature from the black lagoon.

I think they need to tread carefully with this, a classic genre movie, hopefully they go with prosthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"