Flash Gordon

'Star Wars' Stand-Alone Writer Gary Whitta to Pen 'Starlight' for Fox (Exclusive)
Rebecca Ford said:
Gary Whitta has already nabbed one of the hottest writing gigs out there, penning one of the Star Wars stand-alone films, and now he's signed on to work on another hot space hero project.

Whitta will write the script for Fox's Starlight, based on the comic from Wanted and Kick-Ass creator Mark Millar. The comic, drawn by Goran Parlov, centers on a space hero, Duke McQueen, who saved the universe four decades ago but came back to Earth, where no one believed his fantastic stories. But years later, after he's settled down and grown up, he's recruited for one last adventure.

The first issue from Image Comics came out in March and launched the much-anticipated Millarworld Universe. Starlight #5 hit shelves on Aug. 13. Fox picked up the project for adaptation in late 2013.

Simon Kinberg, who worked on X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past, will produce, reuniting him with Millar as he's also producing an adaptation of Millar’s Kindergarten Heroes. Steve Asbell is overseeing for Fox.

Whitta is writing the script for the first Star Wars spin-off film, which Godzilla helmer Gareth Edwards will direct. The Lucasfilm and Disney project has a release date set for Dec. 16, 2016, but is highly secretive, so there's still no official word on what character the story will center on.

I want a new Flash Gordon adventure directed by someone who knows how to handle the scope a film like this requires.

It could borrow themes from big sci fi stuff of the last five years: Avatar, Prometheus, the two Star Treks, Guardians of the Galaxy etc
I was about to mention Elysium, District 9, Cloud Atlas and After Earth too, but perhaps I shouldn't ;)

What about William Mosely in the lead? The character doesn't need a master actor, and Mosely surely has the right look.

But who could really play Flash Gordon though? That's the thing

I've been reading up on Flash Gordon and hoping to get Jeff Parker's recent issues.

I think simply bringing Flash Gordon back in light of Star Wars and Star Trek being on the scene would be a bad idea. Seeing what happened to John Carter, I think making Flash something with teeth is what would be in order.

Use the character work of the recent BSG as a template. Make Ming actually merciless yet understandable. Not like Khan where they made someone more evil than him in the same movie.

What time period/setting would you want Flash Gordon movie?

Classic 1930-40's (retro sci-fi Sky Captain style), retro ships and tech.
Contemporary to future setting, lose the retro look and make it all modern.
1930s. The original Alex Raymond strips and the classic Buster Crabbe serials epitomized the style that Flash Gordon stories should be told in. Art deco, shiny rocketships, rayguns, etc. Modernizing Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers takes away a lot of the charm.

Ideally, I'd like Joe Johnston, Kerry Conran, Brad Bird, or Sam Raimi to direct, and Ben Kingsley to play Ming the Merciless. As for who would make a good Flash Gordon, I'm not sure. Chris Evans would probably nail the part, but I doubt that he'd want it.

Kingsley would be a good Ming.

For Aura I'd like someone like a young Monica Belucci, but knowing Hollywood they'd go for Megan Fox

Kingsley would be a good Ming.

For Aura I'd like someone like a young Monica Belucci, but knowing Hollywood they'd go for Megan Fox

I don't mean to be rude but Kingsley as Ming is downright lazy (Mandarin references?) and I'd be opposed to it.

My dream cast for Ming is Mickey Rourke!
9mickey_rourke-ming.jpg~original

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"