• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cronenberg Makes Eastern Promises

yup... history of violence blew.

but, as for this movie? well, i saw the preview, and it did nothing for me, at all. i'll wait to see a review or two, but for now, this is a pass for me. i don't give a good rat's ass who the director is.

well, it was boring, and pointless...

"you're a killer, you're a killer" ... "no, i'm not, no, i'm not. i promise."

(2 hours later)

"okay, i am." ... the end.

... and since it was a cronenburg movie, people "thought" it was great.

they rated it over what it deserved to be rated. henceforth:

overrated.

maria bello did get pretty naked, though... so, it had that going for it, at least.

You somewhat miss the point, the film is a character study in movie world. We have the character Tom Stall, the american dream, the father having his slice of pie in some ho-drum town. Then all of a sudden the **** comes falling down, it deals with very complex themes in a very simple story narrative. People love it because of the questions it ask, like "Can someone simply bury one's self and create a new?" "Is violence hereditary?" And the end is not "Okay I am?", it simply what you take from it, is it Joey or Tom who looks up in the end. And the fact that you just assume people like it because it's cronenberg implies that you think your opinion is the be-all end all of all things. People like the film because like all Cronenberg film it's well thought out and behind every piece of gratutious gore there's some message lying beneath.

I really hate the word "overrated."
The mods need to ban that word.

You somewhat miss the point, the film is a character study in movie world. We have the character Tom Stall, the american dream, the father having his slice of pie in some ho-drum town. Then all of a sudden the **** comes falling down, it deals with very complex themes in a very simple story narrative. People love it because of the questions it ask, like "Can someone simply bury one's self and create a new?" "Is violence hereditary?" And the end is not "Okay I am?", it simply what you take from it, is it Joey or Tom who looks up in the end. And the fact that you just assume people like it because it's cronenberg implies that you think your opinion is the be-all end all of all things. People like the film because like all Cronenberg film it's well thought out and behind every piece of gratutious gore there's some message lying beneath.

please, don't tell me that i think that my opinion is the be all, end all, then tell me why everyone else likes the movie like it's the only right answer.

everyone's got their opinions. mine is that this movie was boring as all hell.

please, don't tell me that i think that my opinion is the be all, end all, then tell me why everyone else likes the movie like it's the only right answer.

everyone's got their opinions. mine is that this movie was boring as all hell.

It's not that, it's the fact that you said this:

... and since it was a cronenburg movie, people "thought" it was great.

they rated it over what it deserved to be rated. henceforth:
---

You assume other people's opinions are worthless since they don't gel with yours hence my statement, had you left that out and made a worthwhile criticism of the film, I wouldn't of said what I said. Instead I took what you posted and showed you the reason why it was the way it vsivnce it had a very deep meaning, though if one thinks it's boring then that's simply preference, its still a well made film.

Saw the trailer with Bourne Ultimatum, I'm ready.

I thought the trailer looked great. Was just in the Fly thread and made me remember this film. I think it's going to be pretty good.

History of Violence was pretty good, but I really thought it was missing something.

It was pulled from our theater due to the graphic violence and graphic sexual situations. Which is a bummer because we got A History of Violence when it was released.

Guess I'll be waiting for it on DVD.

Whoa, how...I mean why would they do that? :huh:
Now I really need to see this.

I just got back from seeing Eastern Promises..it's very good,very violent,If anyone cares you see Viggo's ass and his package,It's a very good film,but I think I like A History Of Violance more.It's certianly one of the better films to come out this year.

I was given a pass to an advanced screening of EP this week. :up:

It was REALLY good storytelling from Cronenberg. But it not for everyone. In fact, it's probably for few. But that's typical Cronenberg filmaking.

Viggo is in top form again, and so is the rest of the cast. Again, it is VERY graphic, from violent sex to horrific gore to Viggo's twigs'n'berries! But if you want to see a rarely touched or taken serious look at Russian Culture, you'll be pleasantly entertained.

:up:

Three of the best performance of the year in one film by Viggo/Naomi/Cassell, a compelling exploration of good people that get caught up in bad lifestyles, and damn, Cronenberg knows how to film an intense fight scene with the best of them.
It ended a bit abruptly and it was a little too short, but it ties together nicely it's atleast as good as A History of Violence.
I'll probably grow to love it even more in repeat viewings.

Three of the best performance of the year in one film by Viggo/Naomi/Cassell, a compelling exploration of good people that get caught up in bad lifestyles, and damn, Cronenberg knows how to film an intense fight scene with the best of them.
It ended a bit abruptly and it was a little too short, but it ties together nicely it's atleast as good as A History of Violence.
I'll probably grow to love it even more in repeat viewings.
Yea I need to see it again,The shower fight scene was really good,didn't really need to the lower half of Viggo but it's kind of hard to keep yourself covered up when your fighting for your life.

I would rather Viggo star in Videodrome 2. :o

EXACTLY!

His 70-80's films are WAY better than the stuff he makes today.
HOV was entertaining, but nothing remarkable like his old films.
Crash was the last film he did that I thought was cutting edge.

Seeing it tomorrow...

EXACTLY!

Agreed. I want to see the old Cronenberg back!
THE FLY.:wow::up:

EXACTLY!

I actually thought he reached his peak at Naked Lunch, but I haven't seen Crash. I like to think that Cronenberg is like Scorcese and that he has a little bit more to show us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"