Superman Returns Daily Planet Details!!!

boywonder13

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.comics2film.com/FanFrame.php?f_id=19443

Superman Returns: Daily Planet Details
Designing the new newsroom.
by Steve Head

var tcdacmd="sa=a;sz=3;ad";http://anad.tacoda.net/ads/ad12737a-map.cgi/SZ=300X250A/V=2.0S/BRC=82981/BCPG41211.65305.74725/
Type=count&ClientType=2&AdID=27688&FlightID=24657&TargetID=4420&EntityDefResetFlag=0&Segments=1,9,140,166,347,348,362,369,468,691,949,1558,1931,1934,2092,2095,2100,2177,2270,2432,2520,2596,2863,2864,2888,3090,3117,3324,3353,3412,3447,3461,3494,3547,3586,3587,3588,3589,3590,3719,3722,3726,3803,3814,3851,3930,3934,3975,3982&Targets=1476,4420,1949,2420,2693,2144,429,3898,4100,2065,4407,24,411,4202,3743,3933,2383,3478,1938,2254,3199,3445,4094,4219,4315&Values=25,31,43,51,60,72,85,90,100,110,155,204,218,225,227,235,236,240,268,459,1187,1301,1481,1503,1591,2203,2292,2679,2721,2778,2910,3480,4056,4227,4295&RawValues=&random=enydmk,bcgjqkdflmNcl

May 11, 2006 - The first Superman movie "almost feels like three different films," says co-screenwriter Mike Dougherty. "You have your space opera at the beginning, then your rustic western prairie film, and then you go to Metropolis," home to the mammoth building, and the mythical newspaper of record: The Daily Planet. Co-screenwriter Dan Harris admires the first movie's presentation of The Daily Planet, noting its style was influenced by the era. "You can feel that that news room is a 1975 news room." For director Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, the filmmakers put their all into creating a new Daily Planet, with grandeur and detail that, says Harris, reflects "our time."

Since Superman Returns takes place a couple years after Superman II - thankfully presupposing the third and fourth movies don't exist - production designer Guy Dyas says some design elements "had to stay the same. But, he says, "I had a lot of freedom on the Daily Planet." Beginning pre-production, Dyas spent two weeks in New York photographing architecture with Singer. "Dan and Mike were writing the script in a hotel room, and every now an then [Bryan] would say 'Let's go around and look at some buildings.' We'd just go around and pick out elements he really liked."

pixy.gif
http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/033/033915/imgs_1.html
[SIZE=-2]Warner Bros.[/SIZE]
pixy.gif
For the building, with its grand doors and foyer, Dyas admits the new design was influenced in part by architect Frank Lloyd Wright's Johnson Wax Building. "The idea here is that this building was created in the '20s" and since then "some modernization was done." For detail in the foyer and corridors, the production re-created numerous framed newspapers from the first movie, with headlines such as 'Lex Luthor Gets Life' ("with Kevin Spacey in the photograph with his bald head") and 'Look Ma, it Flies!' "We mixed them with real historical events, so it wasn't just all about Superman. There's real history, then the odd one about Superman. We really tried to tie it into the real world."

A key set for the movie, of course, is the newsroom. Here, Dyas started from scratch, envisioning a it "the way I think it should have been designed the first time." His early concept sketches encapsulated the elements from prior development attempts. "All the drawings" and "all the inspiration for what the Daily Planet should be." One important task for Dyas's artists was to create scenic window backings, painted canvases that look real enough to convince the audience (and the actors) that the newsroom is on the 68th floor. "When you have a set like [the newsroom] you have to make this huge trans-light that goes all the way around, so, when you look through the windows you're not looking out at a green screen." Dyas opted to go with paintings because "I wanted to go a little bit old school and make [the actors] feel like they were really there."

pixy.gif
http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/033/033915/imgs_1.html
pixy.gif
As some of you know, Superman Returns was filmed using high-definition video cameras, which capture the best possible image. That's great for cinematographers, but problematic for production designers. "I had a lot of sleepless nights worrying about how some of the old scenic techniques wouldn't work with this new digital camera," says Dyas. "They really pushed the idea of the detail." That being the case, the required high level of detail for the Daily Planet set will be a visual boon for fans. "If you look in the background of some of the frames you'll see all sorts of crazy details which allude to the DC world." You'll see, among many items, phone books from Gotham; a clock in Perry White's office that offers the time in Gotham; and an actual, intricately detailed, fold-out Metropolis street map. "We designed everything in the Daily Planet" right down to "Lois Lane's business cards." (Says Kate Bosworth, "I'll be sitting at Lois Lane's desk and she's got he little business cards that say 'Lois Lane' and I'll just be thinking 'Oh my God! This is amazing!'")

With this attention to detail, Dyas says, "You have to be really careful when designing these kind of sets so that it doesn't look too contrived. This is really what the newspaper offices look like, just piled up documents. What I like about this is that hopefully it's attractive to look at, but it has a sense of practicality to it."

How's this for practicality? Producer Chris Lee says the Daily Planet's newsroom set is ready for use if they need it for the next movie. "It's what we call 'fold and hold.' We took it all apart, and it's all boxed up nicely in containers. Hopefully, if we get to make any more movies, it will be available to us."

Good read!

Since Superman Returns takes place a couple years after Superman II

I wish someone would give a straight answer.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
I wish someone would give a straight answer.
Or they should hire fact checkers. It annoys me that they can never get their information right when it comes to such details, especially when it comes out of the mouth of the creators. It reminds me of the whole budget debacle.

I think the most straight answer came out in Wizard yesterday from Singer.

He said "For lack of a better word, this is a sequel to Superman II"

So it is, but he doesn't want to call it that. I think it just developed into it...maybe

When they were talking about Vague History, the really meant it.

Showtime029 said:
When they were talking about Vague History, the really meant it.
:up:

I agree. I don't think there is a "yes" or "no" to this whole sequel thing

KrypJonian said:
I think the most straight answer came out in Wizard yesterday from Singer.

He said "For lack of a better word, this is a sequel to Superman II"

So it is, but he doesn't want to call it that. I think it just developed into it...maybe

Give me his adress, I will go to him and know the real answer! DAMN IT! VAGUE STORY, WTF?!?

I don't see how it can be a few years after Superman II. On the newspapers in SR it has the date 2000 when Supes disappeard, and if Superman II was set close to when it was actually made?...

You do the math...

Batarang said:
I don't see how it can be a few years after Superman II. On the newspapers in SR it has the date 2000 when Supes disappeard, and if Superman II was set close to when it was actually made?...

You do the math...

I think in SR version, events from SII happened in 1996.

But it would be better, if Singer made a new trilogy.

Cinemaman said:
Give me his adress, I will go to him and know the real answer! DAMN IT! VAGUE STORY, WTF?!?
123 Fake st.
Hollyweird CA 98765

:D :up:

It is like every movie you see, the phone number given is 555-XXXX or (555) XXX-XXXX. It's movies. There is no 555, and there will never be a 555 number. You don't think Anakin grew up that much in three years from phantom to Clones do you. It is movie time. It is fakery.

KrypJonian said:
123 Fake st.
Hollyweird CA 98765

:D :up:

I must ask you not to reveal my home address on the internet.

Stuff like that is so cool. Details matter, and it's nice to see that they're paying attention to even the smallest things.

It'd be cool to have Lois' card.

I love the attention of detail Dyas is taking into the film.

the part i'm interested in..

: Do you ever get on the Internet to see what people are saying about you?

Brandon: I do, yes. So I know some of you guys and visit the sites, and that's been a lot of fun. Actually back in the beginning when people were saying, "Who is this guy?" and "He's skinny!" And I wasn't even skinny at the time! I was still a big guy then, you know I was an athlete. So I get a little bit defensive about that, but it was fun to watch and to read everybody. And to watch people come over to my side and the film's side. Which is great because we all should. We all want to be happy and love the character and everything. So yes, I have frequented many, but I'm quite busy now so I don't get the opportunity to as much, but my parents and family do and they tell me and stuff. So I've learned a lot of news about the film still. That's where I get a lot of my information. [laughs]

some one on hear is a spy..or is Brandon himself.

Love the look of the DP. Very retro. I'd love to have Perry's office! Light up a cigar, kick back, check out the view . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"