Dame Kelly Holmes, Paula Radcliffe and Sharron Davies to write to IOC over transgender athletes

Discussion in 'Sports' started by jolldan, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Elektra1

Elektra1 I like cats

Transgender women take medication that lowers their testosterone levels and consequently makes them lose muscle mass. So if testosterone is the be all and end all of factors determining athletic ability, then this solves the problem no?

2. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Is there any rough estimate for how big the worldwide transgender population is? (I have no clue at all)

3. DeadPresident

DeadPresident Registered

We would need a study that ascertains the average muscle mass and testosterone levels of female athletes compared to the average muscle mass and testosterone levels of transgender woman males to make an educated assessment.

Then we would need endocrinologists to describe the specifics of a biological male’s development process and which aspects of that development could benefit them athletically while not being altered by artificial testosterone suppressors; bone density, fast-twitch vs slow-twitch muscle fiber development, etc.

After a cartload of research we would probably determine that even an average athletic male undergoing testosterone suppression holds noticeable physical benefits over biological females, as is being shown by the performance of male women competing in female events.

Also, just for curiosity’s sake, muscle mass isn’t an accurate indicator of muscle strength or performance necessarily, there are multiple other factors that contribute to performance that may or may not be affected simply by decreasing testosterone.

4. Elektra1

Elektra1 I like cats

Honestly, I don't give a ****. There are so few transgender women competing at high levels anyways, it's a moot point in my eyes. There is so much diversity in biology within the sexes that harping on transgender women for being who they are is disingenuous. They deserve to compete as well. And they mostly lose. I refuse to get riled up about this unless every sport is dominated by transgender women (which would never happen). They thought it would back in the 70s and it never came to fruition. It's just fear mongering and i have no problem ignoring the 3 women who wrote a letter complaining about it because obviously the vast majority don't care.

5. DeadPresident

DeadPresident Registered

Of course you don’t give a ****, you’re not competing, so at the end of the day your opinion doesn’t matter and neither does mine. The three women who wrote the letter, now their opinions do matter.

You’re choosing this as some token issue to give your two cents on because you want to push a moral position you value, but that position just doesn’t make a heck of a lot of sense, it only makes you feel good even though it’s anti-science and irrational in the extreme - but keep on going.

6. Elektra1

Elektra1 I like cats

It's not anti-science or irrational, but good try. Testosterone plays its part and yet men with higher levels are considered gifted, whereas women with higher levels are considered cheats, even if their body produces it naturally (I'm not talking about transgender athletes here). You also have environment to thank for certain advantages (such as training at a higher elevation and being more fit). The point is that there is so much that goes into whether an athlete will be naturally good at something, along with the training and dedication that would be required in order to realize those natural gifts, that banning transgender women from competing would be seriously short-sighted.

The science is muddled at best regarding the dominance of black athletes in running and the NBA/NFL, but maybe they should have their own category as well, to be fair to the white/Asian/Middle Eastern, etc athletes that lose to them. After all, it could be a genetic thing and that's just unfair, right?

#56 Elektra1, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019